London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Are there any cure for Summer Time Hockey Blues, I have been watching fishes but they are not scoring much, I also ran over my #8 Iron with the golf cart. Hurry up let's drop the puck before bad words starts coming out of my mouth.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Last Day.............Vote 10x's Today!
Mike Stubbs Retweeted
London Knights‏Verified account @GoLondonKnights 2h2 hours ago

Today is the last day Knights Fans, Vote your 2005 Memorial Cup Champions
for the CHL Team of the Century with up to 10 votes a day
VOTE:

http://chlfanbase.ca/teamofthecentury
pic.twitter.com/nkU0VPP3Cx
DcMjDCiX0AI7r5Z.jpg

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Robert Thomas
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow May 11

#OHLChampionship #SSMvsHAM: @BulldogsOHL
Robert Thomas recorded 29 points (4G, 25A) in 22 games with Hamilton in the season.
With 2 tallies in Game #5, has now earned 30 points on 11G, 19A in this year's playoffs.
10th multipoint game of the postseason.

3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow May 13

#OHLChampionship #SSMvsHAM:
In his 50th career
#OHLPlayoffs game, @BulldogsOHL Robert Thomas puts
home the go-ahead goal for his 49th career playoff point.
The game leading goal was team high 4th of the postseason.
21 (6G, 15A) of 32 points came at First Ontario Centre.

Reactions: Fastpace

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
SSM has to be one of the most loaded teams in recent memory not to win an OHL title, if not the Memorial Cup (2014 Guelph Storm also comes to mind).

Let this be a lesson to all that the presence of a super team in the conference shouldn't deter you from trying to make a run if you have a good core as well.

I agree with this. Maybe it'll push fans away from the "nyah nyah you gave all your picks away you morons" mentality and towards wanting teams to challenge for the OHL title. Because we all know that's exactly what people would have said about Hamilton had they lost.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I tend to believe that an honest assessment of what you have as a core should be the determining factor as to whether to go "all in" or not. There have been trades made by the Knights toward making that effort to add to their core, that really didn't work out as anticipated. The acquisition of Gemal Smith comes immediately to mind. When looking back at what was given, and the post trade and playoff production, I can not see where that trade was beneficial, and would categorize it as one that the Knights came up significantly short on. Other than that one, the management has been pretty astute in identifying when to sell, and when to challenge.

End result is that we, as fans, get to watch a team that's consistantly competitive. When those valleys are encountered, it's usually not for a sustained or prolonged period of time.

Reactions: aresknights

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
SSM has to be one of the most loaded teams in recent memory not to win an OHL title, if not the Memorial Cup (2014 Guelph Storm also comes to mind).

Let this be a lesson to all that the presence of a super team in the conference shouldn't deter you from trying to make a run if you have a good core as well.

Guelph won the OHL that year, 4-1 over North Bay. Lost in the Memorial Cup Final to Edmonton.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I tend to believe that an honest assessment of what you have as a core should be the determining factor as to whether to go "all in" or not. There have been trades made by the Knights toward making that effort to add to their core, that really didn't work out as anticipated. The acquisition of Gemal Smith comes immediately to mind. When looking back at what was given, and the post trade and playoff production, I can not see where that trade was beneficial, and would categorize it as one that the Knights came up significantly short on. Other than that one, the management has been pretty astute in identifying when to sell, and when to challenge.

End result is that we, as fans, get to watch a team that's consistantly competitive. When those valleys are encountered, it's usually not for a sustained or prolonged period of time.

We shouldn't really judge a player's acquisition by his total points production, yes he was putting up numbers in Owen Sound before the trade but that was with a team with lot less talent and Gemal Smith was call upon to produce. With the Knights already fully loaded his role changed, I thought he was very responsible in the D zone and did produce at some key moments when the Knights was in need. I will agree it wasn't the greatest trade the Knights has ever made or most popular with the fans at that but I wouldn't actually say it was that bad if we look at is over all performance on the ice and not just his production. After all the player did find his way onto the Dallas Stars lineup.

Reactions: zman77

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I find it really strange that Robert Thomas never made it on all 3 all star teams. He would be the guy I would want to start and build my team around. I said since he showed up a London knight. Plays both ends of the rink, scores goals, kills penalities, wins face offs and is a leader. Were the GM's pissed because they didn't get him ???

pelangio

Aug 13, 2013
I find it really strange that Robert Thomas never made it on all 3 all star teams. He would be the guy I would want to start and build my team around. I said since he showed up a London knight. Plays both ends of the rink, scores goals, kills penalities, wins face offs and is a leader. Were the GM's pissed because they didn't get him ???

pelangio

Aug 13, 2013
totally agree !!!! ALL AROUND PLAYER !!! Maybe because he was traded? Next year he plays NHL .Hamilton fans and London fans know HE IS A PLAYER. Hate comparing players but does BO HORVAT come in mind!!!!!

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
totally agree !!!! ALL AROUND PLAYER !!! Maybe because he was traded? Next year he plays NHL .Hamilton fans and London fans know HE IS A PLAYER. Hate comparing players but does BO HORVAT come in mind!!!!!

Sam was traded and he made it.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sam was traded and he made it.

He had less competition.

Centre was loaded in the OHL this year.

Frost and Luchuk were 1 and 2 in OHL scoring. Vilardi tore up the league when he returned.

I would have thought Thomas's playoff performance would have been enough to grab him a spot but it's not a huge snub. Hague over Bouchard was a bigger snub IMO. Bouchard logged 30 minutes a night leading one of the most inexperienced defense cores in the league to a 7th place overall finish...not to mention that he lead defenseman in scoring by 10 points.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Eh, 35 goals by a defenceman in the modern OHL is pretty ridiculous. Not surprised the voters went with Hague, even if I would have picked Bouchard.

Tell us something, for how many goals against was Hague on the ice compare to Bouchard's with a young inexperienced team?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Tell us something, for how many goals against was Hague on the ice compare to Bouchard's with a young inexperienced team?

Who cares? Pu, Jones, Miletic, Thomas were all there til Jan? Not that an inexperienced team ;)
The jr awards are, in the big picture, meaningless, esp for a D. It's far from any indication a kid will have pro success.
But that goal total for the winner was impressive for those who vote site unseen or limited viewings. It is very impressive.
Just not worth worrying about, crying about or trying to justify one way or the other. Just is what it is. Congrats to the winners. Is all that's needed.

If Jr #s mattered explain Syvret, Rodney, Methot, Girardi?
2 of these players have had a lot of success, the other 2....... Great jr players, good minor pros.........

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Who cares? Pu, Jones, Miletic, Thomas were all there til Jan? Not that an inexperienced team ;)
The jr awards are, in the big picture, meaningless, esp for a D. It's far from any indication a kid will have pro success.
But that goal total for the winner was impressive for those who vote site unseen or limited viewings. It is very impressive.
Just not worth worrying about, crying about or trying to justify one way or the other. Just is what it is. Congrats to the winners. Is all that's needed.

If Jr #s mattered explain Syvret, Rodney, Methot, Girardi?
2 of these players have had a lot of success, the other 2....... Great jr players, good minor pros.........

Of course you had to say that, but who really care, right

We've seen many London jr players with explosive offense but never had that same success with the NHL, Bryan Rodney, Rob Schremp and Rico Fata just to name a few and many more, scoring doesn't always get you there unless you know something about the west end of the center red line

Watch out for Bouchard's impressive total goal scores next season, and yes, of course I just had to say that too

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Fastpace, you brought up "how many goals against..........." In your post response to SFC I quoted. It came across as snarky n sour grapes. And really isn't a true measure of a Dmans true talent at this level, or the NHL level tbh. ( too many variables)
Again, The jr awards are, in the big picture, meaningless, esp for a D.

Sometimes ya just congratulate the kid that won. Not complain your guy didnt.

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad