London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flog the horse a bit more why don't we.

Hague didn't have the benefit of the same goaltending Bouchard had..part and parcel of Bouchard's more inflated +/- stat in my opinion. Don't forget +/- isn't an individual stat. A pylon can get a + just as easily as your best player.

35 goals by a d-man....again...35 GOALS..the most in almost 30 years. Tip your hat and watch them engrave the D-Man of the year award with your opponent's name. Bouchard lost by 2 votes...likely the 2 votes from coaches Hague scored over a dozen goals against on the season

End of story. Try fishing more instead of just trolling.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
Fastpace, you brought up "how many goals against..........." In your post response to SFC I quoted. It came across as snarky n sour grapes. And really isn't a true measure of a Dmans true talent at this level, or the NHL level tbh. ( too many variables)
Again, The jr awards are, in the big picture, meaningless, esp for a D.

Sometimes ya just congratulate the kid that won. Not complain your guy didnt.

Actually I am not in total disagreement with you, it’s rather the politic behind the scene that bothers me, the ones that’s doing the counting and who’s doing the announcements that I have trouble with. I know most of the awards are mostly voted in by the coaches, GMs and by the media, but how can we trust a league that the brass at the highest level can not police it self.

As for a defenseman scoring 35 goals earning him the top defensemen award should not be in my opinion the sole reason for giving him the trophy. Perhaps if they called it Top Scoring Defensemen Award would have been more appropriate. Bouchard would be a candidate to Top Offensive Defensemen and give an award to Top Defensive Defensemen as the true defender at this position.

Actually I am not in total disagreement with you, it’s rather the politic behind the scene that bothers me, the ones that’s doing the counting and who’s doing the announcements that I have trouble with. I know most of the awards are mostly voted in by the coaches, GMs and by the media, but how can we trust a league that the brass at the highest level can not police it self.

As for a defenseman scoring 35 goals earning him the top defensemen award should not be in my opinion the sole reason for giving him the trophy. Perhaps if they called it Top Scoring Defensemen Award would have been more appropriate. Bouchard would be a candidate to Top Offensive Defensemen and give an award to Top Defensive Defensemen as the true defender at this position.
Your argument is based solely on plus/minus..which isn't even a true individual stat of how good a player is defensively. Step off the ledge

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
V
Flog the horse a bit more why don't we.

Hague didn't have the benefit of the same goaltending Bouchard had..part and parcel of Bouchard's more inflated +/- stat in my opinion. Don't forget +/- isn't an individual stat. A pylon can get a + just as easily as your best player.

35 goals by a d-man....again...35 GOALS..the most in almost 30 years. Tip your hat and watch them engrave the D-Man of the year award with your opponent's name. Bouchard lost by 2 votes...likely the 2 votes from coaches Hague scored over a dozen goals against on the season

End of story. Try fishing more instead of just trolling.
Very true PP, very good points and very good perspective view to be looking at, same goes for AreKnights, numbers are important to determine some of our bests but there are much more to be looking at. Yes Hague is deserving the award, you say he played in front of a weaker goalie, true enough, may I suggest he also played in the weakest part of the league as well, despite the fact Hamilton won the league this season.

This is what it’s all about, sometime agreeing with each other don’t always bring out the best of us. Reading about how our posters shares and views varieties of opinions and express their values in their posts brings out the best of us. I just wish I could be more as explicit with English words as some of you are, but I am getting by the best I know how.

Reactions: zman77

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I didn't see Hague play enough to even have an opinion on who had a better season. I suspect those claiming Bouchard got robbed/screwed are in the same boat. Seeing Hague play 2 or 3 or 5 games doesn't give you enough insight to say EB got the shaft. Its just homerism.

Ya I'm flogging the horse
I didn't see Hague play enough to even have an opinion on who had a better season. I suspect those claiming Bouchard got robbed/screwed are in the same boat. Seeing Hague play 2 or 3 or 5 games doesn't give you enough insight to say EB got the shaft. Its just homerism.
Some players become 2nd round OHL picks based on 2,3 or 5 games. Ya I went there. ;)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Who cares? Pu, Jones, Miletic, Thomas were all there til Jan? Not that an inexperienced team ;)

The thing is, London's overall record, GA and, most impressively, Bouchard's offensive production barely changed pre and post deadline (this is one of the reasons why Bouchard's draft stock went up I believe - they sold off guys and Bouchard kept up the pace).

The reality is that London finished with the 4th best GA in the league only behind SSM, Kingston and Hamilton. Of course there are many things that contributed to that but I hope anyone could recognize a major one would be the blueliner logging 30 minutes a night. Mississauga finished 14th in GA by contrast. Let's not forget that Hague was playing with a more veteran defense core including NHL picks like Moverare and Osmanski. Bouchard's best partner on the blueline was a rookie (although a very solid one).

You're right that I didn't see Hague enough. Thing is, how much did GMs get to see both players? I suspect several didn't see them enough to form an opinion based on the "eye test".

Ultimately, I am pretty sure that Hague's goal total won it for him in the end. I just don't believe that's enough to overcome other considerations (point total, team success, blueline support).

Of course none of this is a big deal and I'm sure it doesn't matter much to the players. It's not like there's a whole lot to discuss anyways though.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Ya I'm flogging the horse
Some players become 2nd round OHL picks based on 2,3 or 5 games. Ya I went there. ;)

Yup, and thankfully, I think they've learned from the JJ draft pick ;)
The good move was flipping him for a return before he washed out at the
JrC level. ( althou there were some off ice decisions that affected his minor career. I hope he got it out of his system)

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
The thing is, London's overall record, GA and, most impressively, Bouchard's offensive production barely changed pre and post deadline (this is one of the reasons why Bouchard's draft stock went up I believe - they sold off guys and Bouchard kept up the pace).

The reality is that London finished with the 4th best GA in the league only behind SSM, Kingston and Hamilton. Of course there are many things that contributed to that but I hope anyone could recognize a major one would be the blueliner logging 30 minutes a night. Mississauga finished 14th in GA by contrast. Let's not forget that Hague was playing with a more veteran defense core including NHL picks like Moverare and Osmanski. Bouchard's best partner on the blueline was a rookie (although a very solid one).

You're right that I didn't see Hague enough. Thing is, how much did GMs get to see both players? I suspect several didn't see them enough to form an opinion based on the "eye test".

Ultimately, I am pretty sure that Hague's goal total won it for him in the end. I just don't believe that's enough to overcome other considerations (point total, team success, blueline support).

Of course none of this is a big deal and I'm sure it doesn't matter much to the players. It's not like there's a whole lot to discuss anyways though.

I would like to add to your post, a team system well coached can have a great impact on a player's defensive stats as well as a team's GA final ranking

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
not to fan the flames of the over zealous; but with NY Rangers hiring of Boston U's David Quinn, will Brady Tkachuk make an appearance? (note: i think you can forget about Zach Werenski)!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
not to fan the flames of the over zealous; but with NY Rangers hiring of Boston U's David Quinn, will Brady Tkachuk make an appearance? (note: i think you can forget about Zach Werenski)!
Very few London fans have high hopes of B. Tkachuk donning the green and gold. As for Werenski, we didn't need him--won the Memorial Cup without him. Sometimes fliers report and sometimes they don't (whether it's Werenski or Halladay or whomever).

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Random thoughts for a Sunday morning…..

Now that Hamilton has won the OHL title the third round pick they owe us in 2022 has been bumped up to a second round pick in 2023. The only problem is that Hamilton traded their second in 2023 to Flint to get Nicholas Mattinen. Hamilton will have to trade off a player to recoup that pick.

Hamilton pretty much has to sell off next year. Their next unencumbered second round pick is in 2027.They will also owe London a third round pick in 2019 if Ben Gleason plays an overage year, which he most likely will. London also owns the rights to Jonathan Gruden, the son of the Hamilton coach.

Is there a sizable deal to be made with Hamilton next fall? The big fish would be Strome and Kaliyev but there are others like Nurse, Entwhistle and Landry who may become available. Hamilton has the players, London has the picks to buy them. Discuss….

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015

Now that Hamilton has won the OHL title the third round pick they owe us in 2022 has been bumped up to a second round pick in 2023. The only problem is that Hamilton traded their second in 2023 to Flint to get Nicholas Mattinen. Hamilton will have to trade off a player to recoup that pick.

Hamilton pretty much has to sell off next year. Their next unencumbered second round pick is in 2027.They will also owe London a third round pick in 2019 if Ben Gleason plays an overage year, which he most likely will. London also owns the rights to Jonathan Gruden, the son of the Hamilton coach.

Is there a sizable deal to be made with Hamilton next fall? The big fish would be Strome and Kaliyev but there are others like Nurse, Entwhistle and Landry who may become available. Hamilton has the players, London has the picks to buy them. Discuss….

Most of the future picks are in London's bank, regardless if Hamilton are in possession of them now or not, things can change by 2023. I say wait for now and if something comes up in 3-4 or 5 years from now use these picks for bargaining chips to get a player that will help.us around that time. I think we are set right now, a matter of fact we are going to trade players away just to make room for new players coming in for this up coming season. IMHO

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

I mentioned this in the OHL picks thread. As much as we’d all love to see Kaliyev here, I think Hamilton would be crazy to deal him after trading away Roberts and McMichael this year. Entwistle is a guy who fills a huge need as a first line RW who has good size and is poised to breakout next year. I think he’d look great playing top line RW with Foudy and Dunkley. Plus he has a chance for an OA year as I believe he remains unsigned.
The Knights other big need I feel is a top 4 LH d-man. I’d be happy to see Ben Gleason come back to London as an OA.
How bout Entwistle and Gleason for Popov, Gruden and 2-3 2nds?

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
4EnAXjVR_bigger.jpg
NA Central Scouting‏ @MarkSeidel May 16

It was a pleasure being on ESPN Radio with Mike Miller on his "Drive Time" show to
discuss the upcoming NHL Draft. Mike is a legend in the game & it was great to
give some thoughts on the potential Red Wing picks.
**SPOILER ALERT**
It will be Evan Bouchard or Quintin Hughes.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
IIHF analytics are IT genius
By Andrew Podnieks|18 MAY 2018

The IIHF has been using technology at this year’s World Championship that is, quite simply, unprecedented. It starts with player ice time but also includes everything from puck possession to player speed to passing efficiency.
In the old days, a player’s ice time would be tracked by people in the press box watching players come on and off the ice. This team of statisticians would make notes on paper as player changes occurred.
In the early part of the 21st century, the technology existed such that chips could be sewn into a player’s jersey, and his actions on and off ice could be tracked that way.
But now, the IIHF is using incredibly sophisticated technology in Denmark that renders everything else museum quality.
Here’s how it works:
  • Four high-resolution IP (internet protocol) cameras are mounted high in the rafters of Copenhagen’s Royal Arena.
  • These work in tandem with four peripheral cameras lower down.
  • Together these cameras are connected to the scoreclock and use a complex mathematical algorithm to identify each player by jersey number and determine when he is on the ice or not and for how long.
  • IIHF - IIHF analytics are IT genius

Reactions: Fastpace
Here's a Knights story for you, they made it to the Stanley Cup flnals in their first year in the league. I swear there is something about the name that's making them winners
No..having the 1st selection of ANY available free agent and being able to pick the 10th best player off of 30 other teams makes them winners....INSTANTLY. Planted team by the NHL that wasn't going to do anything but succeed in it's 1st season. Seattle will be competitive immediately as well when they come in.

Here's a little breakdown of the Golden Knight's "expansion draft" few people know about..or just refuse to acknowledge.

The Pittsburgh Penguins gave the Knights a 2nd round pick for taking Marc Andre Fleury's contract

They were given as well Jonathan Marchessault for taking Reilly Smith

Alex Tuch was thrown in for taking Eric Haula's contract

Shea Theodore was tossed in for taking Clayton Stoner's contract

and a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick were added to sweeten the deal by Columbus if the Knights took Karlsson and absorbed David Clarkson's contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad