London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
It was a very close game up until the Soo made it 2-0.
Robert Thomas and Cliff Pu were around 75% on the FO's.
London had several Break Aways on the Soo. All were stopped by Matthew Villalta who played a stellar game. Villata is very good. The Soo's Defence is fast and deep. They all play 'strong' on the puck.
This is a well coached team that is deep throughout the line-up.
The Soo played a good game especially playing the night after a game in Windsor.
Brock Otten picked them as Western Division Champs ahead of Owen Sound. He picked London as #4 but that was with everyone returning including Mete, Juolevi and Formenton plus Jesper Bratt.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/09/201718-ohl-season-preview-western.html
The Soo play a similar game to the Knights.............Speed and Skill.
Ryan Pyette LFP:
The Soo is dangerous on the forecheck, they strip pucks constantly on the penalty kill and they're deadly on the rush.
"The philosophy is thinking the game at a high level and you've got to be able to skate now," GM Kyle Raftis said. "We try to build our offence from the goal line out -- activating instead of being in the older term 3-on-2, we're trying to make it a 4-on-3. Everyone backchecks so well, so when you can add that different wave of attack with smarter players who know when to delay and jump in, it's another element."
It's become a recruiting tool for the northern city with the long bus rides.
"The kids enjoy playing it," he said. "They want to play with the puck on their stick and make plays. When you have d-men who get up in the play and that confidence grows, it's attractive for them, too."
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/06/l...ight-at-budweiser-gardens-to-start-the-season

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The London Knights are a talented team even without their players who remain in the NHL.
However:
Ryan Pyette LFP:
Drew Banister Soo Coach:
“Guys like Max Jones, (Sam) Miletic and (Robert) Thomas bring speed and skill,” Soo coach Drew Bannister said, “but with that, and the way (Jones) plays a little bit on the edge, he can take some penalties and we knew going in we would probably get some opportunities.
“That was a game-changer for us. We were able to score and our penalty kill was good.”
Rob Simpson London Knight's GM:
“We’re not happy with our discipline overall,” Simpson said, “so guys are going to sit if they’re going to be poorly disciplined.”
Does this mean Jones, one of the better forwards in the OHL, will be forced to sit out the first period in Erie on Saturday night?
“We have to review that,” Simpson said. “We don’t make decisions right after the game.”
Max Jones played the opening shift of Friday’s game against Sault Ste. Marie.
Then he sat for the rest of the first period, including London’s two early power-play chances — curious since he scored two times with the man advantage last Sunday in Oshawa.
As it turns out, the big Ducks prospect was being punished.
“He was sitting for poor discipline (in Oshawa),” Knights GM Rob Simpson said after London fell to 1-5 on the season and 0-3 on home ice with a 4-1 loss to the Soo Greyhounds before 9,036 at Budweiser Gardens.
So if it was planned, why put him in the opening lineup?
“He was on the starting list early and he just owed us for bad discipline the game before. Just costly penalties,” Simpson said.
Bannister on Soo Goalie Mathew Villata:
Bannister isn’t normally a fan of giving his goaltenders starts on back-to-back nights. But since it’s early in the season and the Greyhounds don’t have another game the rest of the weekend, the Soo coach made an exception for Villalta.
“I thought Matty was outstanding,” Bannister said. “He didn’t get a lot of work (Thursday) in Windsor. I talked to him after he felt real good. He made some key saves in the first and that save he made on that breakaway, it’s a game-changer.”
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/06/l...t-go-away-as-hounds-pull-away-in-third-period

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They were pretty good til the third.

Tough loss and tough start. Rollo is a player, though.

Knights played their best game of the season right up until Jones' selfishness cost us the game. And people are worried about Carbonara :laugh:

Get that pumpkin secured Max....jeez what a brain dead selfish penalty at that juncture of a game and after he was already benched likely for something stupid. Team played better with his ass stapled to the bench by the way.

and....I cringe every time Golden takes a shift on D. I hope I'm not alone here. Wow....horrible coverage and looks lost every stride

Johnny looked solid in goal. Can't fault him for any against him

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Your right PP goaltending is not our issue. Poor d and lack of discipline. Even if we stayed out of the box I don't think Thomas Pu or Jones are game changers, but at this point I don't see them throwing the team on their backs and winning games out of sheer will. We can only improve but it's going to be another long weekend.

Big improvement having Rolo and Miletic in the line up and no issues with Carbonara he did not put us down a man last night even though he took a penalty.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I may have been a little harsh in my prior post, just frustrating to watch a player with so much talent make plays that cost us games.

You were not too harsh on Jones PP even the team management noticed, he is a member of this team and they must somehow find ways to turn him around to their advantage. The team was building a little momentum and some untimely penalties threw it all out of wack almost everytime, can't afford to do this against a good fast pacing team like the Zoo !

Golden is trying to out do himself, maybe trying to replace Mete, he should just play himself and stick to his ability and the basic, he'll be just fine !

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Nice to see Jones finally being reprimanded for his foolish penalties...time will tell if the message gets through or not. Another first period benching tonight?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
According to the OHL Network we're 21st in the league...I knew it was a slow start but damn

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
According to the OHL Network we're 21st in the league...I knew it was a slow start but damn

What ??? -

How can that be 21st when there are a total of 20 teams in the league ?

They may show a last place team now but they are not a last place team, things will start to change rapidly very soon !!!

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jesper Bratt scores his 1st NHL Goal with NJ vs Colorado.
Beauty Goal: Wrist Shot into top stick side corner of the net.
Head up all the way on the goal.
He's playing like a veteran NHler out there.
Bratt is the prototypical 'New NHL player'............quick stickhandling, passing and skating.
NJ player Palmeri was injured in the 2nd period with a knee on knee hit by Johnson.
It doesn't look good.
This means Bratt will be staying for awhile if not the whole NHL season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What ??? -

How can that be 21st when there are a total of 20 teams in the league ?

They may show a last place team now but they are not a last place team, things will start to change rapidly very soon !!!

Well they might wind up being a last place team if they don't start getting offensive contributions meaning goals.
Did you the Knights have 13 new players this season, including vets signed or aquired, players considered rookies,and they are the only team in the league that has yet to get a goal from a new player,and in fact new players only have 4 assists in total,the lowest in the league too.Moskal,Brand, and both Whittakers have 1 point each,and the one Whitaker Liam,a dman got his point playing forward in game1 vs Windsor,and has been in JR B ever since.
Even Erie the team just above them,has 7 points 2G,5A,from their 10 new players.
Windsor by comparison with it's 13 new players leads the conference with
22 points,9G13A,and is 3rd in the league,with Sudbury #1-29 points,12G,17A,and Barrie #2-28 points,11G,17A,those clubs have 13 and 10 new players.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
After watching most of this Avs/Devils game it's very clear Bratt is never playing for the London Knights.
PP time, PK time, scoring a goal and being effective almost every time on the ice.
Congrats to him

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Well they might wind up being a last place team if they don't start getting offensive contributions meaning goals.
Did you the Knights have 13 new players this season, including vets signed or aquired, players considered rookies,and they are the only team in the league that has yet to get a goal from a new player,and in fact new players only have 4 assists in total,the lowest in the league too.Moskal,Brand, and both Whittakers have 1 point each,and the one Whitaker Liam,a dman got his point playing forward in game1 vs Windsor,and has been in JR B ever since.
Even Erie the team just above them,has 7 points 2G,5A,from their 10 new players.
Windsor by comparison with it's 13 new players leads the conference with
22 points,9G13A,and is 3rd in the league,with Sudbury #1-29 points,12G,17A,and Barrie #2-28 points,11G,17A,those clubs have 13 and 10 new players.

Yes I have noticed all the new players on the Knights roster and it is the reason I say their numbers are going to change real soon. No way is this team with this current lineup is going to fight for top spot and no way are they going to finish dead last this year. At front they will be set, on defense they are young and inexperienced and in net they should be average. This team can and will be playing better than they have been, and also all these numbers doesn't say much 6 games on the young season yet. It may tell of one chapter of many to be written , we know stories can change in a hurry and numbers can also change in a hurry in a young OHL season, look at Mississauga from last to first to the finals. This is not going to happen to London Knights in a Western conference but they can finish in the middle of the pack as this is very acchievable !!!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
After watching both Bratt and Mete play their first NHL games, my stance has changed considerably. Bratt is gone, and Mete is "probably" gone. I know I said he looked jittery at times (he did), but boy he sue got comfortable by the time the 3rd period and OT rolled around.

Formenton is most likely going to be back sooner than later. So we're in a situation where we probably have to rebuild . The question of course, is what/who do we build around? Both Thomas and Formenton could easily be gone next year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
After watching both Bratt and Mete play their first NHL games, my stance has changed considerably. Bratt is gone, and Mete is "probably" gone. I know I said he looked jittery at times (he did), but boy he sue got comfortable by the time the 3rd period and OT rolled around.

Formenton is most likely going to be back sooner than later. So we're in a situation where we probably have to rebuild . The question of course, is what/who do we build around? Both Thomas and Formenton could easily be gone next year.

Speculation on the Windsor forum is that London is offering big time for Dipietro.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
The poster is reliable,and I have confirmed said speculation with one one of my sources.Sean Day could also be involved too.
Not interested i assume it would start with foudy or rowe and way to many picks. Pass no thanks we arent a contender and after today id rather sell get a high draft pick in the first round and build that way meaning id trade everyone but Formenton as i dont see Thomas back next year

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
NJ vs Colorado: Highlights
Jesper Bratt: 1st NHL Game.............1 Goal and 1 Assist.........2nd Star

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Wow....never seen such a lifeless bunch. Jones had one inspired shift (his 2nd shift of the game), but ever since that, the Knights just look like they don't care!

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Jesper Bratt scores his 1st NHL Goal with NJ vs Colorado.
Beauty Goal: Wrist Shot into top stick side corner of the net.
Head up all the way on the goal.
He's playing like a veteran NHler out there.
Bratt is the prototypical 'New NHL player'............quick stickhandling, passing and skating.
NJ player Palmeri was injured in the 2nd period with a knee on knee hit by Johnson.
It doesn't look good.
This means Bratt will be staying for awhile if not the whole NHL season.
on the PP too; Bratt is a goner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad