London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The Knights are moving ahead, no sense waiting and continuing to get cluber , Rollo is here to fill hole on the second line and it's a cheap pick up, he should help the team ! IMHO

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Saving the last spot for an o/a dman

I think it's more likely that Rollo was available for cheap, and Simpson jumped on the opportunity.

According to a Pens fan on their forum, this is what WBS forward depth chart probably looks like:

"ZAR-Smith-Sprong
Simon-Johnson-Thomas
Wilson-Blueger-TK
DiPauli-Burton-Dea

Scratched: Tiffels/Sestito/Josephs/Haggerty/Quinney/McGrath/Miletic(who may end up back in London)"

I kind of figured it would be something like that - Pittsburgh has a very deep farm system. If he and I are right and Miletic doesn't crack the AHL squad, it's between the ECHL or OHL.

Reactions: zman77

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Besides Bouchard who btw is the only dman who has any points so far this season,will get the puck to the forwards,let alone worry about defending when u have 4 rookie dmen playing every night.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Besides Bouchard who btw is the only dman who has any points so far this season,will get the puck to the forwards,let alone worry about defending when u have 4 rookie dmen playing every night.

Mete ;)

They would need 1 of Regula/Coome/Golden/Perrott to step up and be able to handle top 4 minutes. Then maybe they can make a free agent signing, maybe Boqvist comes, or they could trade for a top 4 defenceman. If they want an OA defenseman, they could always move a different OA (i.e. Carbonara)

Jones-Pu-Bratt
Formenton-Thomas-Miletic
Rollo-Foudy-Carbonara

Mete-Bouchard
XXX-Regula

It requires a lot to go right but it definitely isn't time to blow it up.

Londoner Knight

Aug 31, 2016
London Ont
If this isn't a "retool / rebuild" in progress, I'm VERY curious what one would be defined as. There are so many new faces and line combos to assume otherwise. It'll likely be around the 12-15 game mark where we'll be able to assess how painful or fruitful this season will be.

The Hunter group has had an incredible streak of producing great hockey for us faithful fans...and yes, we've been spoiled over the last several years...but something feels different this time around. I don't feel the magic this season. Everything from that stupid "Goalie....Goalie...We Want More" chant, to the way some of the new kids look out of place....which you can't "fake it till you make it" in London.

If anyone needs me, I'll be hiding under a blanket in the dark until the 12-15 game mark.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
I think it's more likely that Rollo was available for cheap, and Simpson jumped on the opportunity.

According to a Pens fan on their forum, this is what WBS forward depth chart probably looks like:

"ZAR-Smith-Sprong
Simon-Johnson-Thomas
Wilson-Blueger-TK
DiPauli-Burton-Dea

Scratched: Tiffels/Sestito/Josephs/Haggerty/Quinney/McGrath/Miletic(who may end up back in London)"

I kind of figured it would be something like that - Pittsburgh has a very deep farm system. If he and I are right and Miletic doesn't crack the AHL squad, it's between the ECHL or OHL.
If you look at the box scores of the last few games miletic has played in he has no points only 2 shots on net and 2 penalty minutes my guess is he will be back in a week or two

Reactions: zman77

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
So Pete's fans are saying Rollo iOS a keeper. A MacDonald 2.0 as it were. Heart and Soul team guy that can play in all situations and shows speed and skill to play in the top six. He was available due to a OA numbers game with Korostelev coming back after being cut from the ECHL.

We paid market value of not a bit of a discount as the Pete's had to move him quick.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Not really sure what to make of this trade...but can't see it making an impact IMO. Is Tyler Rollo really supposed to be the answer to our problems? Is he supposed to be added muscle?...because it doesn't seem as though his career is full of scoring.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=239656

What's the word of Brady Tkachuck...or even Boqvist? WHO DO WE REALLY have a possibility of having come back? Mete..gone, Juolevi...buh bye, Crawley...nice know'n ya, Miletic...adios!

Is this Rollo kid the start to a firesale?

What to make of the trade?
Cost effective addition of a vet F. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. Why not at that price?
Don't count on Tkachuk or Boqvist.
How is adding a F on the cheap the start of a fire sale? London may end up "selling" a player or two if things don't work out but there wont be a firesale IMO. No precedent for that here outside maybe the 1st or 2nd yr Hunters were involved and the big trade to get Wideman. But the league and trades are different now. They didnt (or couldnt) move Domi in Kadri in reload years.
Im not against it if they are out of it come Jan, just cant see a total sell. Its early.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
What the lines are going to be, here is my guess;

F
Jones-Thomas-Miletic
Rollo-Pu-Carbonara
Whittaker-Foudy-Tymkin
-Muskal-Nelson-Rowe
(Duhart,Turko,McKinnon = and to jr B - Pierce,Cottam)

D
Golden-Bouchard
Regula-Coome
Perrott-Bangs
(Fallowfield)

G
Kooy
Johnson
?

-That's my couch Coaching lineup, does anyone else sees something different ?

Reactions: TheCoach

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
What the lines are going to be, here is my guess;

F
Jones-Thomas-Miletic
Rollo-Pu-Carbonara
Whittaker-Foudy-Tymkin
-Muskal-Nelson-Rowe
(Duhart,Turko,McKinnon = and to jr B - Pierce,Cottam)

D
Golden-Bouchard
Regula-Coome
Perrott-Bangs
(Fallowfield)

G
Kooy
Johnson
?

-That's my couch Coaching lineup, does anyone else sees something different ?

F
Jones-Pu-Miletic
Rollo-Thomas-Carbonara
Nelson-Foudy-Tymkin
McKinnon-Rowe-Whittaker
(Duhart,Turko,Moskal = and to jr B - Pierce,Cottam)

D
Golden-Bouchard
Regula-Coome
Perrott-Bangs
(Fallowfield)

G
Kooy
Johnson

Forwards should look like if Bratt comes back

Jones-Thomas-Bratt
Rollo-Pu-Miletic
Carbonara-Nelson-Tymkin
Foudy-Rowe-Whittaker
(Duhart,Turko,Moskal = and to jr B - Pierce,Cottam)

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Miletic will certainly help out with the offence--glad he's been returned.
I remember from last season that Rollo played well against the Knights, especially in a PK role--his name stuck in my head. Ideally, you wouldn't have him on the second line, but he'll be an asset.
The main concern is on defence, and HL11 is absolutely right--who other than Bouchard can be counted on to move the puck up ice?
For me, the writing is on the wall, yes even after 5 or 7 games. We lack the depth to compete this season, and I think it's just a matter of time before we start to sell some key pieces. If you disagree, and you think that we are in the mix this season to compete, then present a scenario in which our defence would be deep enough to compete for a championship (then we can talk about our forwards, and goaltenders).
Even if Mete returns, consider our D:
Mete, Bouchard, Golden, Coome, Fallowfield, Perrott, Regula, and Bangs--that's not even close to being a solid defence core. 5 rookie d-men!
Crawley is gone.
By my estimate we would need to acquire at least two top-4 d-men, and we would also need both Bratt and Formenton to return if we hope to salvage this season. Then there's the question of goaltending...
I just cannot foresee how we could be a legitimate contender this year. Not complaining, just stating an opinion. There's nothing wrong with re-tooling.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Good call. Definitely wont hurt. If healthy Id expect 35-40Gs based on last year.

Great news.

And then there were 3...

Formenton is 90% going to be back - it's just a matter of when. I don't think he'll actually get 9 games, though.

I'll pay close attention to Mete tonight.

Get both him and Bratt back and we might still be looking at a contender.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I remember from last season that Rollo played well against the Knights, especially in a PK role--his name stuck in my head. Ideally, you wouldn't have him on the second line, but he'll be an asset.
The main concern is on defence, and HL11 is absolutely right--who other than Bouchard can be counted on to move the puck up ice?
For me, the writing is on the wall, yes even after 5 or 7 games. We lack the depth to compete this season, and I think it's just a matter of time before we start to sell some key pieces. If you disagree, and you think that we are in the mix this season to compete, then present a scenario in which our defence would be deep enough to compete for a championship (then we can talk about our forwards, and goaltenders).
Mete, Bouchard, Golden, Coome, Fallowfield, Perrott, Regula, and Bangs--that's not even close to being a solid defence core. 5 rookie d-men!
Crawley is gone.
By my estimate we would need to acquire at least two top-4 d-men, and we would also need both Bratt and Formenton to return if we hope to salvage this season. Then there's the question of goaltending...
I just cannot foresee how we could be a legitimate contender this year. Not complaining, just stating an opinion. There's nothing wrong with re-tooling.

There's a chance the offense will be so good that we can over come a weak defense. Considering how well these guys are doing at camp (Formenton, Bratt), they might be in position to tear up the league if they get set down. Also Rollo is a bit of a wild card - his career numbers are low but he has 5 points in 3 games so far. Maybe he's in the midst of a breakout OA year

The defense that won the 15-16 Memorial Cup featured Aiden Jamieson and Chris Martenet.

But as for the scenario:
- Mete, Bouchard is a great start to a top 4
- Trade for another big piece (decent stock pile of picks + young bodies, especially after Mattinen trade)
- One of our young players (I think Regula is most likely, or Coome) steps up and can provide reliable top 4 minutes OR a FA signing OR Boqvist returns (hopefully at least one of these 3 things occurs)

Of course, this all assumes that we are getting all three of Mete, Formenton and Bratt back.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Crawley is gone.

I like your post, it's the reality the Knights are facing right now, not much to disagree other than to say let's wait a while longer before selling off the pieces and ride them as long as we can. Hopefully it will be enough to coast for one of the bottom two playoffs spot to gain a little experience for our young players.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Great news.

And then there were 3...

Formenton is 90% going to be back - it's just a matter of when. I don't think he'll actually get 9 games, though.

I'll pay close attention to Mete tonight.

Get both him and Bratt back and we might still be looking at a contender.

I agree about Formenton, he played well enough at camp to earn him a few days with the big club to get the feel of it, he may not even participate in any games, he will be back in London for sure. Brett is a much different story, he not only played well he excelled with the big club, he is in the position where he can help at the NHL level if not at the AHL for sure. Bratt is as good as gone and so is Mete. Mete's popularity has taken a life of it's own with most Montreal fans, they'll want Bergervin's backside if he send Mete back to London !

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I agree about Formenton, he played well enough at camp to earn him a few days with the big club to get the feel of it, he may not even participate in any games, he will be back in London for sure. Brett is a much different story, he not only played well he excelled with the big club, he is in the position where he can help at the NHL level if not at the AHL for sure. Bratt is as good as gone and so is Mete. Mete's popularity has taken a life of it's own with most Montreal fans, they'll want Bergervin's backside if he send Mete back to London !

Good thing GMs don't make decisions based on player popularity.

I know Bratt can play in the AHL but I read somewhere (from a NJ beat writer I think) that it's NHL or OHL for him. Maybe things have changed though, you never know.

The AHL is a pretty tough league to play in for a 19 year old. See: Alex Nylander.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think Mete is done here.

But if Bratt n Forementon (I agree with most he is back) you move some depth Fs for picks.
Enough in the cupboards at that point to grab a top 4 D without breaking the bank easily.
They would need an FA (Euro or college kid) to show up.
Then address tender, if an issue at deadline.

Easy Nelli lol ;) (or maybe not)

Better idea whats up in a month.

I still think a youngin or two move to make way for DuHart, Rowe to get into move up the lineup once they get comfy in this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad