London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
History has shown the Knights will always be able to make moves that keep them competitive. A tough start for the Knights, but the Hunters will re-group. Speaks well that so many that are eligible to return are capable of playing at a higher level.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
To play devils advocate: Niagara beat Peterborough (they're 2-2), Hamilton (they're 2-1-1) and Erie (1-3-1). No teams off to a good start

3 of London's 4 losses are to 3 of the 4 OHL teams that are ranked in the CHL top 10. Lost to SSM (ranked 10th), lost to Windsor (ranked HM) and lost to Oshawa (ranked 6th)
The Petes and Bulldogs are contenders in the east.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Okay that's a pretty big blow. Let's re-evaluate.

Assume everyone ELSE returns: Formenton, Bratt, Mete, Miletic.

Can this team contend?

I honestly don't think the defence, even with Mete, is up to it. So hopefully we sell.

We need our draft picks from 2016 to start showing up on the score sheet more. Other teams have been getting production from 2016 and 2017 picks (see Wong yesterday).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Okay that's a pretty big blow. Let's re-evaluate.

Assume everyone ELSE returns: Formenton, Bratt, Mete, Miletic.

Can this team contend?

I honestly don't think the defence, even with Mete, is up to it. So hopefully we sell.

We need our draft picks from 2016 to start showing up on the score sheet more. Other teams have been getting production from 2016 and 2017 picks (see Wong yesterday).

Thinking 3 of 4 that you mentioned won't be back with the exception of Formenton,
and even that's not for certain as Ottawa as of now is rostering 13 forwards.
Should this worse case scenario become a reality,even if Formenton does return, Knights definitely need to change course,none of this reload stuff,5 rookies on D,with 4 playing every night,2 others Bouchard and Golden not exactly defensive stalwarts, especially Golden, Bouchard huge upside,nice offensive
skills,but he is an island by himself now,alot to ask of a guy not 18 yet.Toss in the fact, average goaltending at best,a few great forwards,Pu,Thomas,Jones,and a real good one in Formenton,a few rabble rousers with little discipline, Tympkin, Carbonara, McKinnon,couple of hopefuls
, in Foudy and Moskal,and a number of kids not ready for prime time.
Seems to be a perfect storm for a rebuild,a team that seems destined for a bottom 5 finish in the conference.Not familiar territory for sure,happens to most.
Potential painful process should things turn out for the worst,guess I would ask are London fans willing to go that rebuild route or cling to the hope things will be fine.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I doubt all 4 come back. Heck I guess only 1 to start the year and maybe another gets sent back.

Still going to be fun/interesting to see which kids step up and stay for the future and which ones get moved for picks to restock or a vet to help out.

Definitely have some work to do. Coaching will be more important without a Houser/Parsons in goal and a very young squad up front and on D

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Looks like the Olli Juolevi situation should be solved before 5pm tomorrow. Appears as though Vancouver wants to send him overseas, but they have to get the Knights to sign off on it basically due to the CHL/NHL agreement. Hence why it's taking so long for them to figure it out... pretty much the same reason why Toronto is holding onto Timothy Liljegren, because they want to find out if they can keep in the AHL, despite having a contract with Rogle of the SHL. If he does or doesn't come back, the Knights are in a hard spot. Do you do what's best for the player or be selfish and bring him back to the organization??

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/02/...roster/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Players, hands down if a player does not wish to come, in this stuation as an organization you don't want him in your camp, do what is best for the player always ! IMHO

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Thinking 3 of 4 that you mentioned won't be back with the exception of Formenton,
and even that's not for certain as Ottawa as of now is rostering 13 forwards.
Should this worse case scenario become a reality,even if Formenton does return, Knights definitely need to change course,none of this reload stuff,5 rookies on D,with 4 playing every night,2 others Bouchard and Golden not exactly defensive stalwarts, especially Golden, Bouchard huge upside,nice offensive
skills,but he is island by himself now,alot to ask of a guy not 18 yet.Toss in the fact, average goaltending at best,a few great forwards,Pu,Thomas,Jones,and a real good one in Formenton,a few rabble rousers with little discipline, Tympkin, Carbonara, McKinnon,couple of hopefuls
, in Foudy and Moskal,and a number of kids not ready for prime time.
Seems to be a perfect storm for a rebuild,a team that seems destined for a bottom 5 finish in the conference.Not familiar territory for sure,happens to most.
Potential painful process should things turn out for the worst,guess I would ask are London fans willing to go that rebuild route or cling to the hope things will be fine.

Solid post--I agree.
The reason why this becomes so interesting is because the Hunters have always avoided the "total rebuild" approach where they're willing to miss the playoffs for future success. Yes, there are MANY examples of London 'selling off' but the organization has never tanked in order to have the benefit of high picks. Maybe it's time!?!
The defence is NOT capable even if Mete returns. Mete and Bouchard are not enough. And as you suggest it doesn't look like the Knights will be seeing many returning faces this season.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
With all due respect to Formenton, it seems like the talent pool with which to choose from keeps getting smaller and smaller every year at the professional level.

An 18yo who 6 months ago was on the fourth line at the junior level is going to get games at the NHL level? Either the quality of pro hockey has dwindled significantly, or there are some horribly run NHL teams.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Solid post--I agree.
The reason why this becomes so interesting is because the Hunters have always avoided the "total rebuild" approach where they're willing to miss the playoffs for future success. Yes, there are MANY examples of London 'selling off' but the organization has never tanked in order to have the benefit of high picks. Maybe it's time!?!
The defence is NOT capable even if Mete returns. Mete and Bouchard are not enough. And as you suggest it doesn't look like the Knights will be seeing many returning faces this season.

While I hesitate to use the word tank
more like the realization of a perfect storm,with already a decent bank of picks moving guys such as Pu and Jones should nab picks and prospects,mix in the fact that the Knights draft pretty well regardless of position,makes it scary that they go in the direction of a rebuild, I may not be amused ha ha,but to me seems to he the thing to do.
Also don't count on having Thomas and Formenton back next season
If there is two things that the NHL looks for is speed and hockey sense,and both have those 2 gifts down pat.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
more like the realization of a perfect storm,with already a decent bank of picks moving guys such as Pu and Jones should nab picks and prospects,mix in the fact that the Knights draft pretty well regardless of position,makes it scary that they go in the direction of a rebuild, I may not be amused ha ha,but to me seems to he the thing to do.
If there is two things that the NHL looks for is speed and hockey sense,and both have those 2 gifts down pat.

If the early graduations tell us anything, it's that we absolutely cannot count on Thomas and Formenton being back next year, like you said. This makes rebuilding at the junior level very difficult if you don't have the certainty of core guys being back.

My prediction: 3/4 guys are back.

1) Formenton: Highly likely to be returned
2) Miletic: Look at Wilkes-Barres Scranton AHL roster. Miletic will at best be a 4th line LW. I believe Pittsburgh will prefer him to develop as a leader in London rather than playing 4th line minutes in the A. ECHL is pretty uncommon for OA eligible junior players for whatever reason.

Then one of Bratt/Mete. I think each guy has a >60% chance to return. Neither was probably part of the team's plans two weeks ago, but they forced the GM's hand with their play. The 9 games is just an extended tryout. Again, the intensity of the regular season ramps up significantly. Ultimately I think one sticks and one doesn't (multiplying probabilities and what not).

I'll be watching the Sabres-Canadiens game on Thursday. If Mete is still paired with Weber, I assume he'll be going up against Jack Eichel - stiff test right off the bat.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
With all due respect to Formenton, it seems like the talent pool with which to choose from keeps getting smaller and smaller every year at the professional level.

An 18yo who 6 months ago was on the fourth line at the junior level is going to get games at the NHL level? Either the quality of pro hockey has dwindled significantly, or there are some horribly run NHL teams.

Formenton has to be the first guy to make an NHL opening right roster in their D+1 (or at all) without playing top 6 minutes in junior, lol.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Should the Knights opt for a sell-off this season, consider this: There usually are but a select few teams who will choose to "load up" for a playoff run. Owen Sound's GM has shown to be rather reluctant to use this tactic, and does his shopping early. That leaves those contenders from the East, and Oshawa has had a good past experience trading with London when they last won.

The Knights & Spitfires will be in direct competition for the best available picks & players, and make for a "buyer's market". Any London gains may result in minimizing the anticipated "haul" that Spits fans are counting upon.

Careful in what you wish for....it has the potential to come back and bite you.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton Signed to Entry-Level Contract
by Colin4000@CudmoreColin Oct 2, 2017, 4:44pm EDT
The 18-year-old has a chance to make the opening night roster
The Ottawa Senators headed into training camp with some competition for roster spots. With Derick Brassard and later Colin White both delaying their season due to injuries, a couple extra forward spots available. Nick Paul, Filip Chlapik, Chris DiDomenico and Max McCormick were at the front of the pack, yet all have been cut and sent to the AHL.

Surprisingly, Alex Formenton still remains on the main roster with pre-season closed. The Sens signed him to a three year entry-level contract this afternoon, bringing the possibility of Formenton playing on opening night a little bit closer to reality.

Formenton, the Sens’ 2nd round selection in the 2017 draft (47th overall), finished his first NHL pre-season with one goal and two assists in five games. His speed is his most notable feature, possibly being the fastest in his draft class, which is what likely makes him an attractive option for Guy Boucher. In his rookie OHL season in 2016-17, he scored 34 points in 65 games, but was held scoreless in fourteen playoff games. It’s worth noting that this happened while playing near the bottom of a deep London Knights squad. It’s almost guaranteed he’ll be sent back to the Knights sooner or later, where he’ll likely take on a larger role.

Being born on September 13th, two days before the draft cut-off, Formenton is currently the youngest player on an NHL contract, a title he’ll likely hold until after the 2018 draft.
https://www.silversevensens.com/201...d-to-entry-level-contract-ottawa-senators-nhl

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton Signs with Ottawa Senators
Honoured to sign my first NHL contract with the @Senators . Big thanks to everyone who's helped me along this journey!pic.twitter.com/eai2pdj1pi

DLKfF4kW0AIC7ye.jpg

21 replies 102 retweets 785 likes

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Stu Cowan........ Montreal Gazette
Victor Mete should have a spot on the Canadiens' blue-line
October 1, 2017 | Last Updated: October 1, 2017 6:36 PM EDT
Coach Claude Julien wouldn’t confirm it after Saturday night’s 9-2 win over the Ottawa Senators, but you can expect to see Victor Mete on the blue-line beside Shea Weber when the Canadiens open the regular season Thursday night in Buffalo.
In Saturday’s pre-season finale, the 19-year-old scored a goal, added an assist and was plus-4 while logging 18:30 of ice time.
After he scored the Canadiens’ ninth goal, the Bell Centre crowd started chanting Mete’s name.
Did he hear them?
“I didn’t, actually,” the teenager said after the game. “All I heard is loud noise … I didn’t hear what they were saying. But if they were saying my name, it’s pretty special.”
Mete said that heading into training camp, he knew the Canadiens didn’t have many offensive-minded defencemen and thought he might have a good chance to make the team.
When asked after Friday’s 3-1 win over the Florida Panthers if the Canadiens coaching staff had put any limitations on him offensively, Mete said: “They haven’t said anything to me yet, so I’m just kind of doing what I usually do.
“I guess I’ll stop when they tell me to stop,” he added with a big smile.
“We never want to take anything away from anybody’s game,” Julien said.
“They’re here for a reason and what they do well.
If he pinches and it’s a smart pinch, he can pinch all night.
We just don’t want bad pinches. And bad pinches happen sometimes because forwards aren’t always there to cover up. So I think he’s been smart enough to do the right things for the most part. "
"He’s been a great surprise in our camp.
It’s refreshing to see a young guy come in and play the way he has.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...should-have-a-spot-on-the-canadiens-blue-line
When Weber was asked about Mete not being afraid to pinch, the veteran smiled and said:
“I don’t think he knows any different."
"He’s playing great … he’s playing with confidence.
I hope he just keeps it up.”

CSUSI9Uu_bigger.jpg
Eric Engels

@EricEngels
Claude Julien on Victor Mete's camp:
"He did it all."

10:22 PM - Sep 30, 2017

Reactions: Fastpace

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
History has shown the Knights will always be able to make moves that keep them competitive. A tough start for the Knights, but the Hunters will re-group. Speaks well that so many that are eligible to return are capable of playing at a higher level.
Lost in all this is the goaltending problem; neither Kooy or Johnson has so far shown they may be capable of being a #1 in the OHL.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Snippit

Don't agree that Miletic would be better served playing for London rather then a 4th line winger/13th forward making 50 grand,rather then 200 per week,on a team that with the lastest happenings seems unlikely to be a contender,but a team that may finish in the bottom 4/5 in the conference,not a dig.
Me thinks that he would rather move on.
As for Bratt,with the Devils able to send him to the AHL,where he can be 1st call up, instead of emergency callup
and some of reasons that apply to Miletic can apply here, regarding real money, playing for a non contender etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad