Rumor: Logan Stanley requests trade

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
I'm surprised that there is so much negativity. I like Stanley. He will fight, stand up for his teammates, brings a bit of offence and size on the blueline is important asset come playoff time. Buff wasn't a great defensive dman but he was a great difference maker when healthy. Stanley can be a force for the jets physically playoff time. I like him in more than Heinola just for the size. Big bruising dmen come playoff time and Morrisey to drive the offense.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm surprised that there is so much negativity. I like Stanley. He will fight, stand up for his teammates, brings a bit of offence and size on the blueline is important asset come playoff time. Buff wasn't a great defensive dman but he was a great difference maker when healthy. Stanley can be a force for the jets physically playoff time. I like him in more than Heinola just for the size. Big bruising dmen come playoff time and Morrisey to drive the offense.

It's been a long time since Buff talk of this kind was heard on these here boards, but I seem to remember a few breakdowns from @garret9 and others from way back on this subject, and the consensus was that Prime Buff was underrated as a defender and the strength of his overall game outweighed any deficiencies.

As the senator once said, "Sir, I knew Dustin Byfuglien, I watched a great deal of Dustin Byfuglien -- and you, sir, are no Dustin Byfuglien."

I think Big Stan has been fine since his return.

I do not think he has been or will be better than Samberg.

At this point, I do not think he has been or will be better than Capobianco.

My concern is that he will be played over Samberg, for whatever organizational reasons, and be worse than Samberg and/or Capobianco.

I don't think Heinola figures at all in the Jets' plans for this year. But at the rate he's played this season, he should by the 2023 TC.

I wish Stanley all the best, but I think his and the team's interests alike are best served by his getting a new shot with another team. 6'7" hides a lot of warts for some coaches, but shouldn't for the smart ones.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Very true. Most teams would have cut their losses 2 years ago.
Losses? He's a legitimate nhl defenseman on a cheap contract. Any draft puck that ends up there that isn't a 10oa pick isn't a loss.

Interesting fact. Did you know Niklas Lidstrom won 7 Norris trophies - his first coming at 30? Zdeno Chara won his first at 32

Not to say Stanley is even in the same stratosphere but it illustrates that defensemen are built different.

Forwards rely on skill and physical attributes to become great players. Some can stick around longer if they can modify their games to suit new roles.

Defensemen rely far more on attributes that come with experience. Positioning, timing, muscle memory and confidence.

I say it all the time that even though I've definitely lost a step as a player im a far better defenseman today than I was.

I have so much experience that I know inherently what is going to happen on the ice and I have the confidence to attack when appropriate and back off when the situation dictates it. I play fast, skilled guys in a way that respects that skill but I'm not afraid to challenge them in situations when they are at a disadvantage.

Especially big guys like Stanley who are a bit slower of foot take more time to figure it out.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Losses? He's a legitimate nhl defenseman on a cheap contract. Any draft puck that ends up there that isn't a 10oa pick isn't a loss.
This + a million, late 1st isn't all that much better than a 2nd.

Interesting fact. Did you know Niklas Lidstrom won 7 Norris trophies - his first coming at 30? Zdeno Chara won his first at 32

Not to say Stanley is even in the same stratosphere but it illustrates that defensemen are built different.

Forwards rely on skill and physical attributes to become great players. Some can stick around longer if they can modify their games to suit new roles.

Defensemen rely far more on attributes that come with experience. Positioning, timing, muscle memory and confidence.

I say it all the time that even though I've definitely lost a step as a player im a far better defenseman today than I was.

I have so much experience that I know inherently what is going to happen on the ice and I have the confidence to attack when appropriate and back off when the situation dictates it. I play fast, skilled guys in a way that respects that skill but I'm not afraid to challenge them in situations when they are at a disadvantage.

Especially big guys like Stanley who are a bit slower of foot take more time to figure it out.
I'd add part of it is reputation. I'm sure the Wild at the very least have an asterix on his scouting report.

"be careful with those reverse checks"***

That type of thing makes a big difference when the mcdavids of the world think they can skate in tax free.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Other than one person of twitter saying they heard that Stanley asked for a trade, was there anyone else to confirm this?

By the reaction of jets beat reporters, I read this as a very well-founded rumor.

Also the player didn't deny it.

IMO this is an agent leaking to an out of market trusted reporter. Avoids the circus of the locals getting their hands on the story, but ramps up the pressure on the GM.

The unspoken threat is - "I can go local and make this a way bigger deal anytime I want."

Reactions: Channelcat

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Stanimal and our 1st this summer for a re-signed Rhino?
Mo liked Stanimal...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am still not convinced that he asked for a trade.

Logan Stanley will be 25 in May and he has not established himself as an everyday regular D man on the Jets so I would completely understand why he would want to look elsewhere to try to become a full time player. Roslovic wanted a fresh start and it was a smart move for his career. Jack is currently making $4 million a season and he has an established track record. Jack was spinning his wheels here.

Did Logan's agent ask for him to be moved? Who knows but If not then it would have been easy for Logan to deny it when he was asked. Bottom line is its probably the right move for his career like it was for Jack. Will the Jets oblige remains to be seen.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Logan Stanley will be 25 in May and he has not established himself as an everyday regular D man on the Jets so I would completely understand why he would want to look elsewhere to try to become a full time player. Roslovic wanted a fresh start and it was a smart move for his career. Jack is currently making $4 million a season and he has an established track record. Jack was spinning his wheels here.

Did Logan's agent ask for him to be moved? Who knows but If not then it would have been easy for Logan to deny it when he was asked. Bottom line is its probably the right move for his career like it was for Jack. Will the Jets oblige remains to be seen.

Exactly, he sees that he's getting supplanted in the lineup. He and his agent understand he's got a finite time to establish himself and try to earn a bigger deal. As is he's looking at a minimal increase on his deal this summer if that. He has arbitration rights but likely knows he has no case with regards to a raise.

I really don't have an issue withbplayers who are stuck wanting better opportunities elsewhere. It isn't any different on other teams.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
A 6 7 dman, the warts are just more noticable, they say a good dman is one you don't notice but he will be noticed regardless at that size and he brings size and toughness something that has not been overabundant lately on jets. As far as Buff goes, he was all over the ice when he played D, I've seen him sprung for breakaways when he was playing D lol. I liked him alot though.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't doubt Stanley requested a trade. Even though he has probably had the most leeway in terms of all his mistakes, he still wants to be a regular. Can't fault him. Seems like Nashville was asking to include him in the nino deal but didn't happen.
And the Jets still view him highly and Chara-like potential. Even still from earlier this year. And if you don't replace his depth spot we will be a step closer from seeing heinola on nhl ice which is the last thing we'd want in a high stakes situation.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
You can't be serious

He's one of the few Habs who's been on the ice for more goals for that goals against and leads all their D-men in xGF% and his teammates consistently do better when they play with him than when they are without him. Granted he's been sheltered from playing against top lines but he's over the NHL average for how much he plays against second lines. He'd still be a bottom pair guy, but he's clearly better than the ones the Jets kept. Samberg still has more upside though.
1678817731570.png

1678817774442.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's one of the few Habs who's been on the ice for more goals for that goals against and leads all their D-men in xGF% and his teammates consistently do better when they play with him than when they are without him. Granted he's been sheltered from playing against top lines but he's over the NHL average for how much he plays against second lines. He'd still be a bottom pair guy, but he's clearly better than the ones the Jets kept. Samberg still has more upside though.
View attachment 668946

View attachment 668947
Had not realized he'd been performing this well relative to the team.

I do think we do have an over abundance of lhd. So kovacevics handedness would've been appealing.

However, he'd be in a similar situation ad Stanle, but with 3 high paid vets in front of him that evidently were going nowhere.

Reactions: surixon

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Scouting report on how he's been this year? As an outsider, shocking to see him fall so far in favor. What would y'all think of a Stanley for Durzi swap? Kings could use a true LD for bottom pairing with his size/toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad