Confirmed with Link: Lockout VI - Game On! Rejoice! Players to vote Saturday.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So when is training camp slated to start?

They said "not before Saturday".

Players and BOG have to sign off on the CBA when it is put to paper.

I've heard players may start their vote Thursday, and it could take up to Saturday.

That is assuming they actually have something in writing to vote on. Last I heard the lawyers were still working on the MOU.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just brought this up in another thread, but it is related to the new CBA.

NMC prevented players from being trade or demoted without their consent.

With the new CBA, and the fact only a small portion of cap space can be covered off in the minors, the NMC and NTC are not very much different.

Although you can demote NTC's to the minors, you can only hide about $750 of their contract there, meaning a large contract, say like Reddon's was, would still be, for the most part, on your cap.

So back to Reddon, doesn't his cap hit now come back onto the Rangers salary cap since he has not been bought out?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

With the new CBA, and the fact only a small portion of cap space can be covered off in the minors, the NMC and NTC are not very much different.

Although you can demote NTC's to the minors, you can only hide about $750 of their contract there, meaning a large contract, say like Reddon's was, would still be, for the most part, on your cap.

So back to Reddon, doesn't his cap hit now come back onto the Rangers salary cap since he has not been bought out?

I believe the point where salaries begin to count against the cap is $375,00 above the league minimum salary. So, if the league minimum is $550,000, then salaries above $925,000 would count against the cap. What I'm not sure is whether the full salary counts against the cap or if only the portion above the cap counts. So, in the case of a player making $1M being assigned to AHL in the $550,000 league miniimum world described earlier, does he count against the cap as $50,000 or $1M? I think it's the latter, but I could be wrong.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

love this rule. not sure if it's retroactive, though.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Maybe they'll grandfather the old contracts in and it'll apply to any new ones. Either way, that would be great to see the Rangers scramble. I'm expecting a semi-flurry of transactions/deals in the shortened training camp.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe they'll grandfather the old contracts in and it'll apply to any new ones. Either way, that would be great to see the Rangers scramble. I'm expecting a semi-flurry of transactions/deals in the shortened training camp.

Good question, but did they grandfather in any of the other contentious issues, like backdiving contracts?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Considering we're at a pretty good position cap-wise, I would want to use our amnesty buyouts on Armstrong and Tucker's remaining 1 million per year buyouts. Is this possible? we could save 2 million off our cap for next year. I dont mind waiting for Komisarek to finish his contract, instead of buying him out. Good idea, no?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

Gonna be a crappy year for the Jets with the condensed schedule.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Can't wait until they reveal the specifics on the new draft lottery system. May very well be my favorite change overall.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON

I hope we play Boston 4 times and not 5. One less loss! Woo-ha!

Let me put calculations up.
54 points needed in 48 games season to qualify for playoffs.
Assuming 4 losses to Bruins we will have 44 games to do it.
To make playoffs Leafs would need to go 25-23-4.
Hard to achieve, so season is definitely in jeopardy. :sarcasm:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope we play Boston 4 times and not 5. One less loss! Woo-ha!

Let me put calculations up.
54 points needed in 48 games season to qualify for playoffs.
Assuming 4 losses to Bruins we will have 44 games to do it.
To make playoffs Leafs would need to go 25-23-4.
Hard to achieve, so season is definitely in jeopardy. :sarcasm:

Why assume that every game against Boston will be a loss? Just because the Leafs went winless against them last season? Remember, they did go 4-2 against the Bs in the 10-11 season. Plus, it is pretty unheard of to not win a single game against a particular division opponent in 2 years.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Good question, but did they grandfather in any of the other contentious issues, like backdiving contracts?

It'll probably take until everything is finalized for us to know the details. Either way, Burke's looking like a genius!

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
love this rule. not sure if it's retroactive, though.

It's not retroactive. Redden will bring a cap-hit of $6.5M minus whatever the number is (750K or 900K) to the Rangers if he's sent down to the minors this season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

Not sure if they include his cap hit here or not.

They'd be at 70 with his cap hit, and still have to sign Del Zotto.

In other news: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413134

6 game try-outs for juniors.

They're showing the cap hit under "Buried" at 5.6M but it's also showing 5 million in cap space.

I think under the new CBA if you have performance bonuses on your cap, then you can exceed the cap by that amount (or basically, you can ignore performance bonuses) so that's where they have that open cap space from.

So basically, the Rangers aren't in trouble. They can still sign Del Zotto for under 5 million and buyout Redden during the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad