Lockout Reported Over! 6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

The Iconoclast said:
Sure that factors into how much a player will get in sponsorships. But just because a team is a "former" big market team does not mean that the player is sure to cash in. In fact, I think that is dead wrong. Lets look at some examples.

In New York, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Yankee, a Met, a Giant, a Jet, a Knick, a Net, a Ranger, an Islander or a Devil?

In St. Louis, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Cardinal, a Ram or a Blue.

In Detroit, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Tiger, a Lion, a Piston or a Red Wing?

In Miami, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Dolphin, a Heat, a Marlin or a Panther?

In Tampa, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Buc, a Devil Ray, a PGA golfer, or a Lightning player?

In Calgary, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Flame or a Stampeder?

In Edmonton, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? An Oiler or an Eskimo?

In Ottawa, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Senator or a Renegade?

In Columbus, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Blue Jacket or... ???

Market competition is huge in big markets and hockey players are way down the pecking order. You want sponsorships as a player you go to the teams that are the schiznit in the market. The smaller markets have less competition. They have more of an edge than the fans of the big markets wish to admit. Jarome Iginla is the sponsorship king of the NHL right now (IIRC) and he does that playing in Calgary. Go figure.

ThANK YOU Iconoclast for putting some common sense into this argument. You saved me a bunch of key strokes. :clap:

Lanny MacDonald*

shakes said:
This is exactly what it more than likely going to come down to, and you are going to see it effect more of the mid range and role players I think. Maybe it's my nationalism or something, but if the market dictates 300k for a Canadian player and he has four offers (Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Carolina), I think the only teams that have the realistic chance of signing are the Canadian ones. To answer your question at the end, Thornton would probably pick Toronto and probably Lecavalier too, but he would be more of a toss up.

Its your nationalism speaking. 300K goes a lot further in Florida and Carolina than it does in Montreal and Toronto. As well, you don't have to put up with a lot of crap from the media in the small markets that you do from the media feeding frenzies in Toronto and Montreal. Toronto and Montreal have their advantages, but they also have their drawbacks. If you're a family guy what your wife and kids have to say likely impact your decision as well. For an monolinguistic anglophone, Montreal is right out for a guy with a family for the most part. Toronto is big and congested and has crap weather four months of the year. The southern cities have bigger houses for less money and have great weather year round. Those things are big for wives. Trust me, that's how I ended up in the southern United States.

;)

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I too shall add my "WOO HOO" to the others. :yo:

Here's to the Business Board going back to the boring ghost-town it was before the lockout, and STAYING that way! :handclap:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Its your nationalism speaking. 300K goes a lot further in Florida and Carolina than it does in Montreal and Toronto. As well, you don't have to put up with a lot of crap from the media in the small markets that you do from the media feeding frenzies in Toronto and Montreal. Toronto and Montreal have their advantages, but they also have their drawbacks. If you're a family guy what your wife and kids have to say likely impact your decision as well. For an monolinguistic anglophone, Montreal is right out for a guy with a family for the most part. Toronto is big and congested and has crap weather four months of the year. The southern cities have bigger houses for less money and have great weather year round. Those things are big for wives. Trust me, that's how I ended up in the southern United States.

;)

I think the exchange rate would probably even out how far money goes. I don't believe for a second that any hockey player, if given a choice between a hockey crazed city and a nice warm place where sellouts are rare and the media cares less about them then rooster fights, that they would actually choose the place based on how warm it was.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
YES!
Congrats to everyone for their patience in this trying time, we've made it through 301 difficult days, we forseeably have 8 more days to go until we can officially rejoice and await the best free agent frenzy ever!
I can't wait to see the Canucks (and the NHL in general) back in action.

Huh, who'd have thought the 13th would be lucky?

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
shakes said:
I think the exchange rate would probably even out how far money goes. I don't believe for a second that any hockey player, if given a choice between a hockey crazed city and a nice warm place where sellouts are rare and the media cares less about them then rooster fights, that they would actually choose the place based on how warm it was.
Another thing to be taken into account in these situations is endorsement money.
Given that salaries are going to drop significantly in the new deal, players will no doubt be looking to make up that money through other sources.
As a good player if Carolina (or Anaheim, Nashville, etc...) and Toronto (NY Rangers, Detroit, etc...) are offering the same base salary, a player would actually stand to make significantly more playing for Toronto.
I mean almost any Leaf player is a celebrity in Toronto.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
alexmorrison said:
Another thing to be taken into account in these situations is endorsement money.
Given that salaries are going to drop significantly in the new deal, players will no doubt be looking to make up that money through other sources.
As a good player if Carolina (or Anaheim, Nashville, etc...) and Toronto (NY Rangers, Detroit, etc...) are offering the same base salary, a player would actually stand to make significantly more playing for Toronto.
I mean almost any Leaf player is a celebrity in Toronto.
Maybe not every player wants to be a celebrity --- maybe he just wants to play the game and go on with his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad