Lockout Reported Over! 6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pens66

Here's to Spungo for never showing his sorry face here again on these boards!!

:cheers: :cheers: :razz:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
McKenzie clarifies that the 21.5m - 39m Salary Range DOES NOT include costs. Only player contracts are included in this range. That means that 39m is the max.

That's a fair bit higher than the 36-37m that was mooted on the boards and in the media.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Oh man...listening to mojo radio and it's turning into the world's whiniest pity party. :cry:

The host was talking earlier about how only the big market teams should be allowed into the Crosby lottery. Somebody get these guys a tissue.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
The Iconoclast said:
I'm not sure what you're reading, but the $39M is inclusive of all player costs.
StickShift said:
McKenzie clarifies that the 21.5m - 39m Salary Range DOES NOT include costs. Only player contracts are included in this range. That means that 39m is the max.
This has been repeated several times over the last week or so..

The Iconoclast said:
As well I really have to questuion your "spin" on the wins by the PA. Revenue sharing, exclusion of a lux tax, UFA age, QO's and arbitration have been in every offer put forward by the NHL.
- Lower UFA age, better for the NHL or better for the PA? (hint, the 42.5 offer had UFA age staying at 31)
- Higher QO's - better for the NHL or better for the PA?
- Arbitration has moved more towards the players since February.

Why do you keep debating this?

The Iconoclast said:
Heck, the NHL now has more rights in those areas than they did in the last CBA, and the players have less, so it seems like a step backward, not forward.
I have always said, yes this is a step backwards from the last CBA. No discussion necessary. My post and the entire debate on this subject have been comparing the February 42.5 offer with the current one. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
StickShift said:

That's a fair bit higher than the 36-37m that was mooted on the boards and in the media.

Wrong. McKenzie clarified that he has been 'led to believe' that the 39m ceiling does include all player costs, including pension and benefits.

We won't know 100% for sure until it's all officially released.

Lanny MacDonald*

EndBoards said:
My post and the entire debate on this subject have been comparing the February 42.5 offer with the current one. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Keep repeating it if you like. But remember that repeating it does not make it fact. How many times do you have to have it pointed out to you that the NHL's offer was/is irrelevant and that you are quotign an incorrect number. The NHL's number then was $42.5M plus benefits, pushing the number close to $45 million. That number was irrelevant because the NHLPA said the lowest they would go was $49M plus benefits, pushing that number closer to $53 million. Again, all you are doing is spinning, spinning, spinning and more spinning on a theory that has been proven wrong over and over. Its done, and the players lost. Accept it and move on.

Kill 'Em All

Feb 26, 2004
rumormethis.com
Digger12 said:
Oh man...listening to mojo radio and it's turning into the world's whiniest pity party. :cry:

The host was talking earlier about how only the big market teams should be allowed into the Crosby lottery. Somebody get these guys a tissue.
this entire CBA has been about the small market owners whining that they couldn't afford to be trusted to run their teams correctly. so, please. :shakehead

big market teams deserve to be compensated for having to bend over for the poor teams getting a cap, and what better way to do it than to give em a fair shot at crosby.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Keep repeating it if you like. But remember that repeating it does not make it fact. How many times do you have to have it pointed out to you that the NHL's offer was/is irrelevant and that you are quotign an incorrect number. The NHL's number then was $42.5M plus benefits, pushing the number close to $45 million. That number was irrelevant because the NHLPA said the lowest they would go was $49M plus benefits, pushing that number closer to $53 million. Again, all you are doing is spinning, spinning, spinning and more spinning on a theory that has been proven wrong over and over. Its done, and the players lost. Accept it and move on.

Actually, you will have to provide a link on that because I'm pretty sure the offer in Feb included benefits.. so it was like 39 million +. As well, you are doing some pretty good spinning yourself.. the players were always going to lose. I don't think anyone really thought that the owners would cave again, but all anyone is saying is that they didn't get as reamed as they could have

Kill 'Em All

Feb 26, 2004
rumormethis.com
Digger12 said:
Wrong. McKenzie clarified that he has been 'led to believe' that the 39m ceiling does include all player costs, including pension and benefits.
no, you're wrong.

McKenzie reported that the $39 mil is what teams can spen on the ice. so, the player benefits are NOT included.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:

Sorry, my last post was wrong... it was 40 + benefits not 39..

Here is the link and a quote from the letter.

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/news/bettman_letter021505.html

We attempted to reach out to you with yesterday's offer of a team maximum cap of $42.2MM ($40MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

GSC2k2*

shakes said:
Actually, you will have to provide a link on that because I'm pretty sure the offer in Feb included benefits.. so it was like 39 million +. As well, you are doing some pretty good spinning yourself.. the players were always going to lose. I don't think anyone really thought that the owners would cave again, but all anyone is saying is that they didn't get as reamed as they could have
Although it has been posted and proven a thousand times or so, here you go...

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/news/bettman_letter021505.html

Satisfied?

As far as getting reamed as much as they could have, christ! THe NHL has repeatedly stated they want a partnership. When I am negotiating a partnership or JV deal, i take a different tack when I am negotiating a contract claim or a project deal with a third party. THe NHL knew what they wanted. They obtained it. If they wanted to completely destroy the union, they would have done that instead (since they definitely had the power to do that).

As far as no one thinking the owners would cave, you are out of step with much of the pro-PA thinking around here and with guys like Strachan, Brooks and many other media members.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Can we at least agree that at this point, even Bob McKenzie doesn't know for sure?

We shall find out soon enough.

Heck, look at sportsnet's "lockout primer"...it mentions a 39 million dollar cap, yet at the same time says that the max player salary given the 20% figure would be 7.4 million...which would make the salary cap 37 million.

Just silliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad