Post-Game Talk: "Little" Afternoon Delight - Jets win 4-1

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Perry the career victimizer now wanting the play the victim card. What a joke. Typical Perry blindside attack - in this case a vicious crosscheck across Chiarots back. Then plays the victim when challenged. We haven't forgotten what that butcher did to Frenchy either. Chia might get a few games, but in reality he shouldn't. He was doing everyone a favor. Just glad Perry didnt have the chance to go hide on the bench before he paid for his attack on Chiarot.

^^ A like and a ditto. ^^

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, Perry might be an A-hole, but I’d love to have him on our team during the playoffs!

A big key to his success is getting away with toolbag moves on the reg. That "skill" would be completely ruined the moment he put on a Jets sweater. He'd probably just lead the league in PIMs with us.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think the Ducks "D" he engraved into his chin is a great thing to do by Perry. Really shows his leadership and commitment.

I thought the D stood for something else. And I don't feel bad for feeling good about this. Cause, really it's more cosmetic damage than anything. I might feel differently if he had suffered a broken jaw that kept him out of the lineup. Or I might not. We'll never know now. ;)

Just annoyed I didn't have time to watch any of this. Yes, I know that's what PVR's are for but I just can't watch sports any way but live.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fast start is the key.

Great games by Fly, Helly and Myers. Good games by everyone else except Trouba. He should probly sit for a couple til he gets rid of the yips.

Lovin this group right now.

Where did this 'Fly' nickname come from? Never saw it until a few days ago when it popped up out of nowhere.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Where did this 'Fly' nickname come from? Never saw it until a few days ago when it popped up out of nowhere.

IIRC it's his team nickname, and hit the boards after his dominant fight against Barrie. Flyweight? Hits like a fly? Gadfly? Flies around the ice? Good moniker, IMO.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

It's been around since last season. Are you new here? :sarcasm:

Here's Laine mic'd up. He uses "Fly" several times. Most notably "have you seen Fly. I haven't seen him"

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IIRC it's his team nickname, and hit the boards after his dominant fight against Barrie. Flyweight? Hits like a fly? Gadfly? Flies around the ice? Good moniker, IMO.

Good enough nickname alright. Now you mention it I remember hearing it once or twice just after that fight. Never again until very recently but especially if it is his locker room name I'm all for it.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it's his nickname in the locker room. It was highlighted in recent issues of the Jets' gameday programs.

It's true. I think the first appearance was when someone gave him a shout-out on Twitter for dropping the gloves and going nuts on Tyson Barrie during a line scrum.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Wheeler tweeted it a few years ago when Ehlers defended him and one gloved Barrie.

Edit: spent too long searching haha

Reactions: Trilliann

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well, mission accomplished on the 4 point road trip I thought would constitute a success. On the West Coast no less. Have we ever beat LA and ANA on the same road trip?

Scheif was a beast tonight, thought he was the most dominant player on the ice, he ate Lindholm's lunch numerous times during the game. Thought he was much better supporting down low in the D zone as well, that's when the Jets are at their best.
Great to see Little show all the doubters the player he is on the score sheet, the only place most of them have the capacity to look. All the crap he's been taken really grinds me.
Ehlers was really firing on all cylinders, he didn't play with any doubt and forced the play on the Ducks, his intensity and speed was outstanding. Played a really good up and down game.
Trouba sure is fighting the puck these days but he's been very good off of it and man did he play hard yesterday. Morrrissey is such a pleasure to watch, he's edging closer to being my favourite player.
Need to find more ice for Perreault and Armia. Armia is so good on the puck and Perreault just drives play and creates so much. I get not upsetting the apple cart when things are going well but an 85-17-40 line sure wouldn't lose much over the current third line but could generate more offense imo.

Jets were great in transition yesterday, I really think that is this teams MO( no pun intended). When the D is playing their gaps well and they get the back pressure they'v been getting they turn up the ice so quickly and can be pretty lethal. It also allows them to force a lot of dump ins, which when they get back quickly enough allows them to break out much better. Sometimes they don't though, I know Whilee has noted a couple of times that the D has a propensity to lug the puck too often instead of looking for a quick pass. I've been looking for that lately and I believe he is right. Myers and Kulikov or the biggest culprits and occasionally Buff.
I remember one play distinctly yesterday where Kuli was coming out of his left side corner and had some open ice, right around when he reached the hash marks Armia was cutting through a seam through the middle at about the blue line. Instead of putting that puck on Armia's stick he continued to skate it out and as a result the Ducks were able to close off any further lanes and ultimately the Jets were forced to chip it in. I think it plays a role in how much they still dump the puck in, which is still too often.

Another solid game though and they are really starting to show consistency in a lot of areas. So great to see steady and reliable goaltending game in game out.

That PK though, it's defying the odds but my god it's ugly at times. Anaheim should have easily scored on that back door chance they had. The Jets were all over the place but Helle saved their bacon.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I hope this reminds people that Bryan Little is a very important (and still very good) player for this team. I have no idea why people would need to be reminded of this.

This team is starting to impress, and it's not just the wins. It's how they are winning, and that they are steadily improving the way they are playing as they are winning. People really don't want Hendricks and (not so much anymore) Tanev on this team but I think this is testament to team balance, and needing different types of players on your team.

Glue guys are very, very important. I think Tanev and Hendricks, whilst maybe not the gold standard of this type of player, are doing it better than some of the people we've had doing it in the past. They have made plays at critical times that have helped us win.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to why Byfuglien has somehow reinvented himself as a defenseman? He makes far less risky plays, and is actually more focused on his own net and protecting it. It's very exciting. Maybe he realizes that he doesn't have to be the offensive engine of this club anymore?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I hope this reminds people that Bryan Little is a very important (and still very good) player for this team. I have no idea why people would need to be reminded of this.

This team is starting to impress, and it's not just the wins. It's how they are winning, and that they are steadily improving the way they are playing as they are winning. People really don't want Hendricks and (not so much anymore) Tanev on this team but I think this is testament to team balance, and needing different types of players on your team.

Glue guys are very, very important. I think Tanev and Hendricks, whilst maybe not the gold standard of this type of player, are doing it better than some of the people we've had doing it in the past. They have made plays at critical times that have helped us win.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to why Byfuglien has somehow reinvented himself as a defenseman? He makes far less risky plays, and is actually more focused on his own net and protecting it. It's very exciting. Maybe he realizes that he doesn't have to be the offensive engine of this club anymore?

I think this really has a lot to do with it. Buff is staying within the system and playing his role, largely because others are doing the same and contributing. Playing with the lead much of the time also helps imo, we tend to see rover Buff far more when the Jets are trailing. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. I think it's huge for the team that Buff doesn't feel he needs to win the game on every shift.

Reactions: Jet and YWGinYYZ

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Either someone was finally able to reach him or playing with the lead a lot has helped. Or, he's just a year older and wiser. Probably a combination of the 3 but I agree...he's been good the last few.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Either someone was finally able to reach him or playing with the lead a lot has helped. Or, he's just a year older and wiser. Probably a combination of the 3 but I agree...he's been good the last few.

When the stars really trust the rest of the team they will play as a team instead of trying to win alone. The team now deserves the trust and I think it is showing.

Reactions: Jet

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

These last ten games or so are probably the best hockey I've seen Buff play in Winnipeg. His game is really complete and he is using his strength to win battles in the defensive zone instead of using his strength to chase offense in the offensive zone. If there is no huge decline in his game over the next 3 - 4 years that was a brilliant contract from Chevy. The Jets have a very deep blueline because not only is Byfuglien playing like a beast but Tyler Myers is putting up .5 ppg from the 3rd pairing. I did not see that coming after Myers' atrocious (imo) start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad