Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Realistically, nobody's taking a $45M - $60M flier on a guy who's as mediocre and lazy as PLD is.

That buyout is a no-brainer. The problem is, Blake wont do it because it'd mean he drastically changed the team for the worse to make a $40M f*** up... So Blake needs to (And should) be fired for it to happen.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Buyout is the only realistic option for LAK to dump PLD… no ther team will take that contract for a lazy, whiny, quitter

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is awful for the Rangers.
Not in the long term
they have garand as heir apparent to Shesty, can advance him w/help from Quick, Domingue

bread buh bye at 11.6+
we pay pld w/recovering most of Trouba's 8m, that leaves 11.6+

outside chance he returns after 1 yr for aa lot less if he doesn't like CA
but main thing is we got a primo young pivot

pld = x factor
assuming no other big deals [LaF @ top $ to MON, OTT etc.]

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
Othmann - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil/PLD - KK
P;LD/Vesey - Edstrom - Rempe

Realistically, nobody's taking a $45M - $60M flier on a guy who's as mediocre and lazy as PLD is.

That buyout is a no-brainer. The problem is, Blake wont do it because it'd mean he drastically changed the team for the worse to make a $40M f*** up... So Blake needs to (And should) be fired for it to happen.

Buyout is the only realistic option for LAK to dump PLD… no ther team will take that contract for a lazy, whiny, quitter

buyout = legit option, but there is still a signif, ongoing cap hit for that

as I explained, short term Rs can handle that
can the Ks?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah, just spend the Owners money and throw away $31M. Owners are billionaires and they don't really care about $31M eh? Sorry, but that is not a realistic option even if it's $31M spread over 14 years. Only way I see him being traded is for another bad contract. Two players changing teams with the hope it turns around for both players... Lucic/Neal type trade.

How about Gallagher for Dubois? Habs include Dvorak and/or Dubois with $1M of retention. Not exactly like this but a platform to discuss. We can add Harris in the deal. Decent bottom pairing D who is still improving.

Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for next season).

Dvorak replaces Dubois at 3C and Gallagher can possibly be re united with Danault?

It's very possible both Gallagher and Dubois waive their NMC

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, just spend the Owners money and throw away $31M. Owners are billionaires and they don't really care about $31M eh? Sorry, but that is not a realistic option even if it's $31M spread over 14 years. Only way I see him being traded is for another bad contract. Two players changing teams with the hope it turns around for both players... Lucic/Neal type trade.

How about Gallagher for Dubois? Habs include Dvorak and/or Dubois with $1M of retention. Not exactly like this but a platform to discuss. We can add Harris in the deal. Decent bottom pairing D who is still improving.

vs
Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M

Dvorak replaces Dubois at 3C and Gallagher can possibly be re united with Danault?

I really don't like the idea of adding 7.5M in cap for 4 years just when much of the current core will be in its prime, and guys like Newhook and Dach need new contracts.

It's those later years that make it hard for anyone to give Dubois a chance, and few teams have equally bad contracts of similar length to flip them for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really don't like the idea of adding 7.5M in cap for 4 years just when much of the current core will be in its prime, and guys like Newhook and Dach need new contracts.

It's those later years that make it hard for anyone to give Dubois a chance, and few teams have equally bad contracts of similar length to flip them for.

I'm fine with it as long as Dubois rebounds which I think he will. Call him lazy but when he is on, he is on. I think MSL manages this well.

Cap will be at least $92M for 25/26. Habs do have guys to sign yes but there is some flexibility and there are expiring contracts to come with many other ELC/bridge deals over the next 5 years.

Cap has to be managed but Dubois (at his best) is a good piece to add IMO. Dubois was placed on the 3rd line for most of the season with the Kings. He needs to be in the top 6 playing with talent.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm fine with it as long as Dubois rebounds which I think he will. Call him lazy but when he is on, he is on. I think MSL manages this well.

Cap will be at least $92M for 25/26. Habs do have guys to sign yes but there is some flexibility and there are expiring contracts to come with many other ELC/bridge deals over the next 5 years.

Cap has to be managed but Dubois (at his best) is a good piece to add IMO. Dubois was placed on the 3rd line for most of the season with the Kings. He needs to be in the top 6 playing with talent.
I'd want to flip a bad contract for him (Anderson before Gallagher), but also want positive value so if in 4 years he's playing badly and requires assets to get rid of, it ends up being even.

ie, I'd want PLD and a first for Anderson, which I realize might not be real attractive to Kings fans.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I would think the Habs might bite as they need size & scoring. (And getting a 3C would allow them to flip Dvorak at the draft.)

Both Anderson and PLD need to bounce back, whereas LA might be looking to "get out" of this contract at the earliest.

For the Kings, it has to be palatable/save on the buyout.
For the Habs, it has to fit under the internal cap (Suzuki being the highest paid skater) they have.

Anderson has 3 years left at 5.5M
PLD has 7 years left at 8.5M - Obviously that's a heavy hit that isn't easily absorbed.

LAK
PLD
Retention of 1.5M*
2024 1st round pick (21OA)

MTL
Anderson
Heineman
AVS 2024 2nd (58OA)

*Down to 7M; so the cost to both team is Andy 5.5M + PLD 1.5M retention = 7M for LAK, and PLD 7M for Habs - both at 7M.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The buyout isn’t bad at all, relatively speaking. Once cap increases start up again like they did pre-Covid, those 3-4 million years won’t be as bad as they look now. And once they clear that last 2.8 year it’s peanuts from there. It could be a lot worse- I don’t know what option is even close to this out there- who is taking on this contract in a way that beats this?

View attachment 862955
Indeed
The buyout makes the most sense by a country mile

OP sets zero restrictions, just asks what will it take to move him.
Obv has negative value, and bad $$$ contract is long term to boot. B'c long term, = unavoidable that return MUST include a1 or more assets w/youth to mitigate vs long term signif cap hit.
No club is gonna take all of PLD complete term, full pop for like a single 1st.
Even w/retention cost to move = WAY WAY more.

Bread is a premium asset, 1 yr next season 11.6+m. Rs will not renew anywhere near that b'c preferred need to deploy that salary elsewhere.
He has full control nmc, but given the above looking for graceful exit, likely IMO to check out LA and see if it is a fit. If it is, Kings have inside first dibs.

Shesty is a Vez winnner elite G. next season @ outrageous bargain of 5.6-ish. LA has inside track to extend, no reason he shouldn't consider if you don't insult and pay him fair, like min offer 8.75 x 4.

Shesterkin + Panarin [if he waives]
for
Byfield + x _________ [moderate add] + PLD [full pop]

NY gets premium young pivot emerging from prospect status
+ is what it is/is not
losing bread = short term wince, but cap recovery is nec follow thru anyway

Pld - we have to pay him, we don't have to play him
Can see if he shapes up or not, if yes, great, if not, does he have value/what is cost to dump him at full 50% retained.
The cap hit is bad and will be real, but something along lines of the above will be ok short term.

Kings achieve objective of unloading pld disaster w/o retention, and add 1-2 quality pieces.
Byfield loss hurts, but unavoidable if serious about OP objective.
the buyout makes exponentially more sense then

Reactions: Faterson

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Not in the long term
they have garand as heir apparent to Shesty, can advance him w/help from Quick, Domingue

bread buh bye at 11.6+
we pay pld w/recovering most of Trouba's 8m, that leaves 11.6+

outside chance he returns after 1 yr for aa lot less if he doesn't like CA
but main thing is we got a primo young pivot

pld = x factor
assuming no other big deals [LaF @ top $ to MON, OTT etc.]

Kreider - Byfield - Zib
Othmann - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil/PLD - KK
P;LD/Vesey - Edstrom - Rempe

buyout = legit option, but there is still a signif, ongoing cap hit for that

as I explained, short term Rs can handle that
can the Ks?

The Rangers are Cup contenders right now. There is no way they are taking a step back to make this deal in the hope it helps them out with salary cap in the long term. And even not considering that, the value is way off. The Rangers are giving up one of the league's best goalies in his prime and a top forward for Byfield -- plus 100% of PLD's contract, which has negative value. Simply awful.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

vs
Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M

I would do this. I think this would improve LA. It opens a spot for Byfield to play center as well.

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Turcotte - Byfield - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Gallagher
Dvorak - Lizotte - Thomas

Reactions: johnjm22

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The buyout isn’t bad at all, relatively speaking. Once cap increases start up again like they did pre-Covid, those 3-4 million years won’t be as bad as they look now. And once they clear that last 2.8 year it’s peanuts from there. It could be a lot worse- I don’t know what option is even close to this out there- who is taking on this contract in a way that beats this?

View attachment 862955

DiPietro says hi

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Maybe a 5th and Goodrow for PLD 50% retained? Find another team for more retention and bump it to a 4th.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

vs
Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M

Just no, have people here not learned with moves like Anderson and Dvorak for that matter? No thanks save the cap space for someone that it worth it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would do this. I think this would improve LA. It opens a spot for Byfield to play center as well.

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Turcotte - Byfield - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Gallagher
Dvorak - Lizotte - Thomas

Might be something that develops. There is a fair chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive.

Dubois's time with LA didn't pan out like it was expected while Gallagher's days with the Habs are numbered. Gallagher has slipped a bit for sure but he still can play and being reunited with Danault might get him back to where he was. Gallagher has been great at taking a lower role and not complaining which shows good character. He had a solid 2nd half this year.

I do think it has a fair chance at making both teams better. Who knows for sure. Habs taking on Dubois for 7 years and managing his energy/laziness could be a challenge but I trust MSL would get the best out of him.

Dvorak may not be the flashy type but he does a lot of things well in the 200' game and wins a lot of key faceoffs.

Overall, I do agree it makes the Kings forward group more rounded and the bottom 6 improves. As time moves forward, we are realizing that you can only win with complete rosters.

Just no, have people here not learned with moves like Anderson and Dvorak for that matter? No thanks save the cap space for someone that it worth it.

Not all moves are created equal. Pointing out past fails doesn't really factor in every future move you might make.

That's a deal I would consider. It's not an automatic no for me. Both Gallagher and Dubois are overpaid.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I would think the Habs might bite as they need size & scoring. (And getting a 3C would allow them to flip Dvorak at the draft.)

Both Anderson and PLD need to bounce back, whereas LA might be looking to "get out" of this contract at the earliest.

For the Kings, it has to be palatable/save on the buyout.
For the Habs, it has to fit under the internal cap (Suzuki being the highest paid skater) they have.

Anderson has 3 years left at 5.5M
PLD has 7 years left at 8.5M - Obviously that's a heavy hit that isn't easily absorbed.

LAK
PLD
Retention of 1.5M*
2024 1st round pick (21OA)

MTL
Anderson
Heineman
AVS 2024 2nd (58OA)

*Down to 7M; so the cost to both team is Andy 5.5M + PLD 1.5M retention = 7M for LAK, and PLD 7M for Habs - both at 7M.
This is a decent offer value-wise, IMO. Nice effort. However, as a Habs fan I still wouldn't do it. The team is finally down to just a couple of boat anchor contracts in Anderson and Gallagher, and I wouldn't want to see them add another for 7 years just to get rid of Anderson (even with the 2024 1st round pick). There are better ways to get rid of Anderson and Gallagher than adding PLD for 7 years. If Anderson doesn't bounce back next season, he could always be sent to the AHL for his final two seasons to open up an NHL roster spot and get a little cap relief if there are no takers in a trade. Gallagher becomes a buyout candidate in another year or two (can't be sent to the AHL due to a NMC).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
OP sets zero restrictions, just asks what will it take to move him.
Obv has negative value, and bad $$$ contract is long term to boot. B'c long term, = unavoidable that return MUST include a1 or more assets w/youth to mitigate vs long term signif cap hit.
No club is gonna take all of PLD complete term, full pop for like a single 1st.
Even w/retention cost to move = WAY WAY more.

Bread is a premium asset, 1 yr next season 11.6+m. Rs will not renew anywhere near that b'c preferred need to deploy that salary elsewhere.
He has full control nmc, but given the above looking for graceful exit, likely IMO to check out LA and see if it is a fit. If it is, Kings have inside first dibs.

Shesty is a Vez winnner elite G. next season @ outrageous bargain of 5.6-ish. LA has inside track to extend, no reason he shouldn't consider if you don't insult and pay him fair, like min offer 8.75 x 4.

Shesterkin + Panarin [if he waives]
for
Byfield + x _________ [moderate add] + PLD [full pop]

NY gets premium young pivot emerging from prospect status
+ is what it is/is not
losing bread = short term wince, but cap recovery is nec follow thru anyway

Pld - we have to pay him, we don't have to play him
Can see if he shapes up or not, if yes, great, if not, does he have value/what is cost to dump him at full 50% retained.
The cap hit is bad and will be real, but something along lines of the above will be ok short term.

Kings achieve objective of unloading pld disaster w/o retention, and add 1-2 quality pieces.
Byfield loss hurts, but unavoidable if serious about OP objective.
Contenders don't typically trade their most important pieces for underperforming players. I know Byfield is coming along nicely, but this would involve the Rangers voluntarily closing their window on contending for the cup so they could bring him in. That would be beyond foolish.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
If reports are true and Montreal management was interested last year, I see no reason why they would not still be interested today, warts and all.

• Haha
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even if Gallagher & Anderson alone were going the other way I wouldn't want Dubois anywhere near this team. This guy has proven he is a problem and LAK did the habs a major solid.

Kings didn't do the Habs any favors. All they did was offer a big package that nobody else would.

Habs were clearly interested but not at that cap hit and not at that trade price. Even if the Kings didn't offer that package, the Habs were still not going deep like that (trade value and AAV).

If I were the Kings, I'd play Dubois with talent. Placing him on the 3rd or 4th line with limited talent is miss management. He's not the type to lead a line by himself. He was a pt/game player when playing with Connor on the Jets and a fraction of that when they took him off.

I'm personally open to a anchor contract for an anchor contract with the hopes of both teams getting more from their new players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad