Line Combos: Lines 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Why do we always want to saddle McDavid with lesser players?

Blows my mind, I'm so glad we have TM making the lines.

Like Crosby, McDavid doesn't need to play with top players for his line to be effective. The idea of stacking lines 2 & 3 as much as possible will make it hard for oposing coaches to match up. McDavid is going to see the opposing top D pair regardless if he's playing with lucic & eberle or if he's playing with Lander & Pitlick.

Simarly to Penguins having Kessel on a strong 3rd line, it creates matchup problems. I actually believe a player like McDavid is better off playing with aggressive, go to the net, crash and bang guys (pitlick/kassian/maroon) than soft scorers (eberle).

McLennan probably doesn't want to drop eberle with nuge because nuge's line is being used as a shutdown line and Eberle would mess that up. So I would try eberle with drai and maroon. Promote either pitlick or Pulju to the top line. They can split the time if minutes becomes an issue.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What are the lines if slepy, pitts, caggs and Pulju are on the team?

Pure guessing at what's in McLellan's head:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Drai
Maroon-Caggiula-Pulju
Pitbull-Letestu-Kassian
Slepy

Slepy rotates in amongst Pulju and Pit, possibly Kassian if he needs a rest.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Pure guessing at what's in McLellan's head:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Drai
Maroon-Caggiula-Pulju
Pitbull-Letestu-Kassian
Slepy

Slepy rotates in amongst Pulju and Pit, possibly Kassian if he needs a rest.

with everyone healthy? so hendricks, lander, and pakarinen sent down?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
with everyone healthy? so hendricks, lander, and pakarinen sent down?

Lander and Pak have been surpassed by Slepy and Pit I think. Maybe Lander over Slepy for face-offs/PK as an argument that could go either way.

Hendricks is the tough one, I think he's on the outside looking in. Hate to say it, he's been a guy that has given his all for us.

I mean, who would you rather have in the lineup Pitlick or Hendricks?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Lander and Pak have been surpassed by Slepy and Pit I think. Maybe Lander over Slepy for face-offs/PK as an argument that could go either way.

Hendricks is the tough one, I think he's on the outside looking in. Hate to say it, he's been a guy that has given his all for us.

I mean, who would you rather have in the lineup Pitlick or Hendricks?

i'd have to see hendricks play or something.....he might be better than kassian, slepy, or stu....but probably not. Pitlick is a spark plug at this point so no point taking him out of the lineup....probably for 10 games at least.

Pak and Lander I like but they don't have the offense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
i'd have to see hendricks play or something.....he might be better than kassian, slepy, or stu....but probably not. Pitlick is a spark plug at this point so no point taking him out of the lineup....probably for 10 games at least.

That's the toughest thing with Hendricks, he's been such a loyal trooper for us. But he's slowing down and wearing down, I'd rather the younger guys in I think they bring more to the table. No way it Pitlick coming out and that's basically who it comes down to. Pitlick or Hendo.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's the toughest thing with Hendricks, he's been such a loyal trooper for us. But he's slowing down and wearing down, I'd rather the younger guys in I think they bring more to the table. No way it Pitlick coming out and that's basically who it comes down to. Pitlick or Hendo.

why would it come down to those two? why not stu or kass or slepy?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
why would it come down to those two? why not stu or kass or slepy?

Yeah, I guess he can play centre too I forgot about that. Good point. I think Kassian is ahead of him, but Hendo coming in for Letestu is always a possibility.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Currently we have our top C with our two top W, it doesn't make sense, need to spread the wealth more.

Top C:
1) McDavid
2) RNH
3) LD

Top LW:
1) Lucic
2) Pouliot
3) Maroon

Top RW:
1) Eberle
2) Pulju
3) Kassian

Having a 1, 2, and 3 on each line might help. Also this work because RNH-Ebs, McDavid-Pou, and Lucic-Drai have shown chemistry.

Pouliot (2) - McDavid (1) - Kassian (3)
Maroon (3) - RNH (2) - Eberle (1)
Lucic (1) - Draisaitl (3) - Pulju (2)

- Could argue Maroon and Pou should be flipped, or Kassian and Pitlick.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
The thing about Hendo is you know he'll mix it up if the game calls for it. He'll also scrap just for the sake of getting the team fired up. We need a guy like him a lot of nights.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm the only one who wants Lander centering the third line. I know he still has untapped potential and is already great defensively while being elite at faceoffs.

Do it for me!!!!

Pouliot-McDavid-Pulju

Lucic-RNH-Drai

Kassian-Lander-Eberle

Maroon-Letestu-Pitlick

Eberle needs to get off the first line, same goes for Lucic.

If someone takes liberties with McD, just start him centering Lucic and Maroon the next couple of shifts.

Or let Maroon get a shot as his LW.

Pulju although raw, is the perfect match there. He's a shooter with speed. McD is a passer with speed.

A certain Russian would've been a perfect fit there though, but....he turned into a 3rd pick and a C-prospect.

Thoughts?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm the only one who wants Lander centering the third line.

Pulju although raw, is the perfect match there. He's a shooter with speed. McD is a passer with speed.

A certain Russian would've been a perfect fit there though, but....he turned into a 3rd pick and a C-prospect.

Thoughts?

Yes, you are the only one.

Yakupov is gone. Why are you bringing him up?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Just mixing things up here while 2 right wingers are out

Maroon-McD-Ebs
Lucic-RNH-Drai
Pou-Letestu-Slepy
Kharia-Lander-Pitlick

*top 6 is stronger with both Drai and Nuge always
*Lander and Letestu could swap here.
*Pouliot and Lucic could swap here.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Maroon-McD-Ebs
Lucic-RNH-Drai
Pou-Letestu-Slepy
Kharia-Lander-Pitlick

I don't think we'll see RNH and Pouliot split anytime soon. They're too effective at stripping the puck off the opposition.

Jasonite

Nov 2, 2016

Maroon-McD-Ebs
Lucic-RNH-Drai
Pou-Letestu-Slepy
Kharia-Lander-Pitlick

Is pulju out for sure?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Hey guys - fantasy talk.

Heard rumors of Maroon moving up to McDavid's line. Has that happened yet/will that be happening?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
RNH-McD-Pitlick

Lucic-Drai-Pulju

Maroon-Lander-Eberle

Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian/Slepyshev

When healthy.

But most importantly, play Nuge and McGod together. At least every other shift.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I've actually liked Letestu playing RW with the Pouliot/RNH tandem. That's a very solid two-way line. I would try a Lucuc/Drai/Caggiula combo when Drake is healthy.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've actually liked Letestu playing RW with the Pouliot/RNH tandem. That's a very solid two-way line. I would try a Lucuc/Drai/Caggiula combo when Drake is healthy.

I haven't, and I can't wait until Puljujarvi is back to take his spot on that line. I like Letestu on the 4th line, but way too much offence dies on his stick on that line. He's a good 4th line/pker, but as soon as you move him up he becomes exposed pretty bad with more skilled players.

I mentioned the other day I'd like to see that Looch-Drai-Drake line as well if Drake can play RW. Hope he's back soon. Didn't mind Pitlick on that line either tbh, and I think Kassian would work there too. I like Pitlick on the 4th line the most though, he creates some offensive punch on his own that the other guys can't really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad