Line Combos: Lines 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I would do this with our healthy lineup: Maroon-McDavid-Pitlick, Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev, Pouliot-RNH-Eberle, Kassian-Caggiula-Pakarinen. Hendricks and Letestu can fill in. From what I saw in Caggiula this preseason and what I know about him as a person, he is a way better option even as a 4th liner than Letestu. I think Hendricks and Pakarinen would battle it out for that 4th line winger spot. The good thing now is we have a lot of bottom 6 options. If Pitlick or Slepyshev or Caggiula falter, we have a bunch of options to replace them. They are going to work their ***** off every night to stay in the lineup.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would do this with our healthy lineup: Maroon-McDavid-Pitlick, Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev, Pouliot-RNH-Eberle, Kassian-Caggiula-Pakarinen. Hendricks and Letestu can fill in. From what I saw in Caggiula this preseason and what I know about him as a person, he is a way better option even as a 4th liner than Letestu. I think Hendricks and Pakarinen would battle it out for that 4th line winger spot. The good thing now is we have a lot of bottom 6 options. If Pitlick or Slepyshev or Caggiula falter, we have a bunch of options to replace them. They are going to work their ***** off every night to stay in the lineup.

I really like this, but I would make a slight change and go with something like this:

Maroon-McDavid-Pitlick
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen-Lander-Slepyshev

or this:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-Pitlick
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen-Lander-Slepyshev

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
McDavid builds his game around speed, not sure why you want an old aunt like Lucic or Maroon next to him.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Out of all the LWers on the team, Pouliot makes the most sense with McDavid. I actually think Lucic compliments RNH's game a lot more than McDavid's. I like Maroon with Draisatl so far, as well. Eberle can stay with McDavid, and then one of Caggiula, Kassian, Slepyshev, and can fit in on Draisatl or RNH's right wing.

Basically:

Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Draisatl-Slep/Caggiula/Kassian/Pitlick
Lucic-RNH-Slep/Caggiula/Kassian/Pitlick
Hendricks/Lander-Letestu-Slep/Caggiula/Kassian/Pitlick

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Anyone know anything about Ben belter?

Big, solid, smooth and soft two-way defenceman in the mold of a western Canadian Martin Marincin. Not much in the way of grit, but he has smarts.
Unlikely to play during his call-up. just pressbox fodder, however I do think he leapfrogged a few spots during the pre-season, and wouldn't be surprised to see him grab a semi-regular bottom 6-7 role with the club in the next few years.
A more agile Reinhart.

He's been my pet prospect over the past two years. Failed to wow me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Promote Tpitts or Slepy.

Pouliot-McDavid-Pitlick
Lucic-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

I was thinking the same thing about promoting Pitlick. Those three would have ridiculous hustle on the forecheck. 100% CF. :laugh: But don't you want more skill and muscle with McDavid? Maybe keep Lucic there?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
McDavid builds his game around speed, not sure why you want an old aunt like Lucic or Maroon next to him.

Because it works?

Maroon with McDavid last season was on pace for 70+ pts over a full 82 GP season. His career best is 34 pts. Despite apparently not playing very good (I have seen two and half games out of the four an I cannot say I have any real problems with Lucic on McD's wing) he is actually on more or less the exact same pace as he was during his best seasons in Boston, i.e. 61-62 pts for the season.

I generally don't see a big issue with mixing speedy skaters with slower ones.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
RNH and Pouliot with 2 points a piece.

I know we're winning, and if it ain't broke..

But how do we get these guys going?

Just give them time. Same with Talbot, ride out the rough spots. If we keep spending this much time in the offensive zone they will come around.

another one is the Lucic-McDavid line. Everyone was saying break them up, but then Lucic shows up big against St.Louis, and they are looking better and better together it seems.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'd still like to see this at some point when we're healthy:

Maroon - McDavid - Eberle
Lucic - Nuge - Drai
Pou - Cagguila - Kassian
Hendricks - Letestu - Pakarinen

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Sekera
Davidson - Benning

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is Caggiula hurt? How long is he still expected to be out for?

No one has a clue. The Oilers tell you nothing about injuries. I think most of us thought it was day to day but then tests revealed a bigger issue. What the issue is or how significant we have no idea.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton
No one has a clue. The Oilers tell you nothing about injuries. I think most of us thought it was day to day but then tests revealed a bigger issue. What the issue is or how significant we have no idea.

Can't remember where I saw it, but pretty sure i heard he had a hip flexor issue, and he was week to week.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Weird. I was googling trying to find out what happened with him, and nothing. Hope it's not that serious.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don't mess with success: I make a single change and that is only if Lander takes a backwards step.

Lucic McDavid Eberle
Pouliot RNH Kassian
Maroon Draisatl Puljujarvi
Hendricks Letestu Pitlick
Spares - Lander Pakarainen
Minors and 1st injury call up - Cagguila

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russell
Nurse Davidson
Spare - Gryba
Minors - Benning, Fayne.

Puljujarvi is getting used to the pace, adjusting better and more confident with his game. Unless it's a question of not wanting to burn a year of his ELC I'd keep him.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
PGT is turning into the lineup thread so I'm going to drop this here for a bump.

I'd like to see:

- JP with McDavid. Main worry is the 1st line top comp and minutes problem but I think having him as a weapon will give 97 more room or if everyone still keys to 97 then 98 has an easier ride and will create his own chances. At least try it to see how they look.
- Ebs with Nuge. Tried and true, they play well together, should elevate both games.
- Maroon with 97. Probably won't happen anytime soon, Looch has that spot, but based on last year 19 plays well with 97 and knows his role. I think part of the problem with Lucic is he figures he's a top line goal scorer and is worried about taking penalties.
- Lucic with Nuge. I think having the big body will help 93 a lot, he does too much board work and offensively I think they'd work well. 27 would basically be an upgrade on 44 on the other side.

That would give:
19-97-98
27-93-14
67-29-44 <- would be a good heavy line that should score.

I doubt that we'll see Looch switch lines anytime soon, so swap 27 and 19 in that, I'd like to get a look at Maroon with RNH as well. I also doubt Ebs will be going anywhere in the near future, I have a feeling TMac will keep throwing that line out till it works.

Which leaves us with swapping Maroon for Pou:
27-97-14
19-93-44
67-29-98

-I would like to try 98 with 93 to see how they work in the O zone, but it'd be very dangerous with how Tmac uses that line. Or maybe not, JP seems to be getting better every game. It's something I would try in practice then throw out in a game we already have control of.

Meanwhile, pick a game and play Slepyshev and let JP watch from up top. Ice time for one, rest and bird's eye view for the other. Also wouldn't mind seeing more Pitlick with Drai... it sure is nice having guys competing for spots with more coming from the farm. I'd Really like someone to make Pou expendable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would like to see the following lines tried out:

Lucic McD Pitlick
Poo Nuge Eberle
Maroon Leon Kassian
Lander Letestu Slepy

Just for 2 games. I know Pitlick on the top offensive line is a bit ridiculous but love his play and honestly think anyone will do fine with Lucic and McDavid.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Lucic McD Pitlick
Poo Nuge Eberle
Maroon Leon Kassian
Lander Letestu Slepy

Just for 2 games. I know Pitlick on the top offensive line is a bit ridiculous but love his play and honestly think anyone will do fine with Lucic and McDavid.

I don't actually think it's that ridiculous, add some more crash and bang go to the net to the line. It could open up more space for 97 and if he put in a few rebounds opponents would have to take him seriously. And like you said, anyone would do fine with McDavid... I think it'd be worth a try, especially since it'd put Ebs with Nuge.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Lucic McD Pitlick
Poo Nuge Eberle
Maroon Leon Kassian
Lander Letestu Slepy

Like'ems

Would swap 3rd line to pulju-drai-maroon
4th to shlep-stu-kass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad