Line Combos: Lines 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Take Poo out cause he does literally nothing.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Drai
Cagguila-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Letestu-Kassian
Slep-Lander-Pitlick

I would also put Lander out their to take draws for the 2nd pp unit. It is unfathomable how they haven't addressed this **** yet. Half of almost every pp they get has 20 seconds ticked off instantly by losing the draw. Throw Lander out there to win the face off and than change immediately or plant his ass in front of the net.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't mind getting Lander back in there. Caggiula's been a good gamer, but I'm not sure he's NHL quality yet.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Lander-Kassian
Pouliot/Hendricks-Letestu-Pitlick
Pakarinen

This also gets another quality PK and faceoff option into the lineup. At this point I'd like to get RNH out of his checking role. It's a waste of his talent, and he's not really that good/effective thinking with a "check-first" and "play it safe" mindset. Let Hendricks, Letestu, Lander, and even Kassian focus on the PK, and any situational defensive matchups. Set it up so if McDavid isn't on the ice in an offensive situation, RNH is; force him into those minutes.

Send Caggiula and Puljujarvi to Bakersfield for some seasoning. 2 goals in 30+ games between them isn't enough, and they'd be better served getting more offensive opportunities to develop their game.

Slepyshev's name isn't written in pen on the second line, but of "the rest", I think he's been the best. I also think adding a shooter to Eberle and RNH is a good idea, as both are better as playmakers, vs. being finishers (as were finding out with Eberle). Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't willing to rotate Pouliot, Pitlick, and even Pakarinen through that spot.

Also keep Kassian and Maroon together, same with Lucic and Draisaitl. The big guys are far more effective when they've got another heavy on their line to cycle with.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I wouldn't mind getting Lander back in there. Caggiula's been a good gamer, but I'm not sure he's NHL quality yet.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Lander-Kassian
Pakarinen

This also gets another quality PK and faceoff option into the lineup. At this point I'd like to get RNH out of his checking role. It's a waste of his talent, and he's not really that good/effective thinking with a "check-first" and "play it safe" mindset. Let Hendricks, Letestu, Lander, and even Kassian focus on the PK, and any situational defensive matchups. Set it up so if McDavid isn't on the ice in an offensive situation, RNH is; force him into those minutes.

Send Caggiula and Puljujarvi to Bakersfield for some seasoning. 2 goals in 30+ games between them isn't enough, and they'd be better served getting more offensive opportunities to develop their game.

Slepyshev's name isn't written in pen on the second line, but of "the rest", I think he's been the best. I also think adding a shooter to Eberle and RNH is a good idea, as both are better as playmakers, vs. being finishers (as were finding out with Eberle). Though that doesn't mean I wouldn't willing to rotate Pouliot, Pitlick, and even Pakarinen through that spot.

Also keep Kassian and Maroon together, same with Lucic and Draisaitl. The big guys are far more effective when they've got another heavy on their line to cycle with.

Cags is better than Lander. 25 games in one season and now Ebs is not a finisher?

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Cags is better than Lander. 25 games in one season and now Ebs is not a finisher?

Yet another evidence free drive-by from you. Hard to have a debate with someone who comes to the table with absolutely zero backup for their "opinion" except boxcars from 5 years ago. Hey Bobby, there's Big Ben, there's Parliament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Lander-Kassian
Pakarinen

Slepyshev has been terrible the last few games.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Slepyshev has been terrible the last few games.

Slepyshev hasn't been on the ice for a single GA at evens in over 159 minutes.

That's pretty remarkable and I don't think "terrible" describes his play at all.

In fact... on a GF/GA relative basis the best possible line the Oilers could ice would be:

Slepyshev-McDavid-Puljujarvi.

All 3 have done exceptionally well when you combine offensive and defensive aspects of the game.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Slepyshev hasn't been on the ice for a single GA at evens in over 159 minutes.

That's pretty remarkable and I don't think "terrible" describes his play at all.

In fact... on a GF/GA relative basis the best possible line the Oilers could ice would be:

Slepyshev-McDavid-Puljujarvi.

All 3 have done exceptionally well when you combine offensive and defensive aspects of the game.

And you don't think quality of competition has anything to do with that?

If you put those 3 on a line together, their only hope to not get eaten alive is for McDavid to just be a god.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I was thinking I would love to see Puljujarvi come back into the lineup and play with McDavid and Draisaitl

So

Draisaitl - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Nuge - Eberle
Maroon - Letestu - Kassian
Slepyshev - Caggiula - Pitlick.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
And you don't think quality of competition has anything to do with that?

If you put those 3 on a line together, their only hope to not get eaten alive is for McDavid to just be a god.

Sure quality of competition has something to do with it... but this is the NHL.... there's no way to completely shelter someone and only give them easy minutes... they WILL face some tougher competition at times.

I'm not saying Slepyshev is a defensive genius out there... but 0 goals against while he's on the ice so far... I'm willing to give him some credit and the benefit of the doubt that he has at least a little to do with that.

If a goalie played 159 shutout minutes we'd give them credit for playing well... so why not at least be a little optimistic and give Slepyshev some credit for playing well also.

By the way McDavid IS a god out there... so putting Slepyshev and Puljujarvi with him wouldn't likely be disastrous at all. Both have good shots and both are putting up good defensive numbers... Oilers won't try that line but think it would be worth a look.

Njd86

May 9, 2010
Why separate Maroon and Kassian when they've been playing together so well lately? They've been powering into the other teams end and keeping the play there night in night out. Other than McDavid line it's been the only line worth watching.

Pou and Ebs need to go elsewhere.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Sure quality of competition has something to do with it... but this is the NHL.... there's no way to completely shelter someone and only give them easy minutes... they WILL face some tougher competition at times.

I'm not saying Slepyshev is a defensive genius out there... but 0 goals against while he's on the ice so far... I'm willing to give him some credit and the benefit of the doubt that he has at least a little to do with that.

If a goalie played 159 shutout minutes we'd give them credit for playing well... so why not at least be a little optimistic and give Slepyshev some credit for playing well also.

By the way McDavid IS a god out there... so putting Slepyshev and Puljujarvi with him wouldn't likely be disastrous at all. Both have good shots and both are putting up good defensive numbers... Oilers won't try that line but think it would be worth a look.

I should of rephrased my first thing and not used terrible, but maybe worse than he had earlier on in the season?

I don't think rotating sleps and puljujarvi is necessarily a bad thing with keeping players fresh, especially ones new to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad