Seravalli: Lindholm, Hanifin, and Toffoli will not go into next season with a year left on their deals. They will either be extended or traded

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Huberdeau gets back to ppg and Markstrom have a .915 save percentage and they are back to squinting lol. It's not an outlandish rebound for either.
And even as bad as the year was, we still had a better record than a team still playing in the Finals. I think we likely need the young guys to outperform expectations to be a real contender though

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What's the plan in Calgary? Are they going to rebuild? Or continue to try and contend?

Bond

May 10, 2012
What's the plan in Calgary? Are they going to rebuild? Or continue to try and contend?
We will find out. If Lindholm re-signs they will go for it and re-tool with the other UFAs. If he wants out I don't know how they re-tool as they will be lacking a #1C.

Reactions: Boomstick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Huberdeau gets back to ppg and Markstrom have a .915 save percentage and they are back to squinting lol. It's not an outlandish rebound for either.
Do you really think you can squint even if those two things happen? I just don't see it. Who can score that big goal on this team? I don't know who our best player is even. Is it Lindholm probably? Backlund maybe? Andersson? Are any of those guys top line players or D for Colorado or Tampa?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Do you really think you can squint even if those two things happen? I just don't see it. Who can score that big goal on this team? I don't know who our best player is even. Is it Lindholm probably? Backlund maybe? Andersson? Are any of those guys top line players or D for Colorado or Tampa?
100% lol. It's the Flames. The last time they rebuilt was when the Iggy era finally collapsed. If Huberdeau gets to a 100 point pace they'd probably buy at the deadline and keep the UFAs.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
100% lol. It's the Flames. The last time they rebuilt was when the Iggy era finally collapsed.
Even then it wasn't a rebuild. We have no pieces from any of those players except Glencross. We just sucked bad enough to get a couple of top 10 picks. I'm not saying you're wrong that the course you are suggesting will happen, I think you're probably right. I'm just saying it shouldn't be the course. You don't have to bottom out and get 4 top 3 picks, but you do have to start managing assets and building a new core.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Lindholm - re-sign.
Hanifin - Trade for legit first line winger.
Toffoli - trade for futures.

Solid asset management and the team gets potentially better.

I can't see Lindholm resigning while they're bleeding talent.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Even then it wasn't a rebuild. We have no pieces from any of those players except Glencross. We just sucked bad enough to get a couple of top 10 picks. I'm not saying you're wrong that the course you are suggesting will happen, I think you're probably right. I'm just saying it shouldn't be the course. You don't have to bottom out and get 4 top 3 picks, but you do have to start managing assets and building a new core.
Yeah, what I expect them to do versus what I think they should do are different things. My only hope is that Lindholm says he is 100% out and then they will react appropriately. Lindholm has no replacement coming in the prospect pipeline and there aren't any centers better than him that are available.

Reactions: Double Dion

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Those are all pretty valuable pieces. My question is do you get more now or at the TDL? IMO the answer is the TDL, so I don't understand the logic of making the moves now if they won't extend.
Don't get much if they're injured. Gauge the market. If the value is there, and Conroy wants to accelerate a reset, now is the time.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Don't get much if they're injured. Gauge the market. If the value is there, and Conroy wants to accelerate a reset, now is the time.
I mean I'm listening now. Most of those contracts (Lindholm, Hanifin, Toffoli especially) are good value so you might get as much now as then. It's just the question of why move now for less? Tanev is the piece I'd be moving now. The others don't get hurt much.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I can't see Lindholm resigning while they're bleeding talent.

How would the Flames be "bleeding talent"? If Hanifin is traded for a legit top line winger, the Flames have a more talented top 6 than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad