Seravalli: Lindholm, Hanifin, and Toffoli will not go into next season with a year left on their deals. They will either be extended or traded

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Those are all pretty valuable pieces. My question is do you get more now or at the TDL? IMO the answer is the TDL, so I don't understand the logic of making the moves now if they won't extend.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bond

May 10, 2012
Those are all pretty valuable pieces. My question is do you get more now or at the TDL? IMO the answer is the TDL, so I don't understand the logic of making the moves now if they won't extend.
Depends on what kind of trades they want and I’m guessing they want to to re-tool at this point. Even if Conroy wants to rebuild, we all know that if the Flames are in a playoff spot at the deadline they won’t sell.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Because if the team is doing well down the stretch, how could they justify selling major pieces to a fanbase that generally needs to take off their shoes & socks to count to five?

And you get more futures (aka picks & prospects) at the deadline. Off season is when you get roster players. Given the Flames' aversion to rebuilding, it's a virtual guarantee they'll want competitive pieces as part of the return.

Reactions: Toe Pick and hn777

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Depends on what kind of trades they want and I’m guessing they want to to re-tool at this point. Even if Conroy wants to rebuild, we all know that if the Flames are in a playoff spot at the deadline they won’t sell.
I do think we should trade all of the impending UFAs with the possible exceptions of Backlund and Hanifin. I'm pro-rebuild. I just think you generally get more at the TDL.

Because if the team is doing well down the stretch, how could they justify selling major pieces to a fanbase that generally needs to take off their shoes & socks to count to five?

And you get more futures (aka picks & prospects) at the deadline. Off season is when you get roster players. Given the Flames' aversion to rebuilding, it's a virtual guarantee they'll want competitive pieces as part of the return.
Solid points for sure. I'd just prefer if we could get futures at the TDL. I want a cup contender, not a playoff contender.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

You do it now. If Calgary is in 1st place at the TDL (as was the case in JGs last year), you've boxed yourself in to where it's difficult to trade them.

If you do it now, there's more roster flexibility to ensure the composition of your roster doesn't create conflicts in these types of scenarios.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You do it now. If Calgary is in 1st place at the TDL (as was the case in JGs last year), you've boxed yourself in to where it's difficult to trade them.

If you do it now, there's more roster flexibility to ensure the composition of your roster doesn't create conflicts in these types of scenarios.
I mean I get the Johnny thing. I just think that was different. That team you could squint and see a chance of competing for a cup. I don't think you can do that with this team. Nashville sold and made the playoffs. Why couldn't we do that?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

That's exactly what happened with Gaudreau. People act like he should have been traded at the deadline when he was 3rd in league scoring and the Flames were one of the Stanley Cup favourites.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Noah Hanifin for William Nylander

Elias Lindholm for Debrincat

Toffoli to Jersey for something

I don't see Debrincat re-signing in Calgary if he's not willing to re-up in Ottawa. All teams he's interested in that have been leaked out are in the US.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Bond

May 10, 2012
I mean I get the Johnny thing. I just think that was different. That team you could squint and see a chance of competing for a cup. I don't think you can do that with this team. Nashville sold and made the playoffs. Why couldn't we do that?
Huberdeau gets back to ppg and Markstrom have a .915 save percentage and they are back to squinting lol. It's not an outlandish rebound for either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad