GDT: Lightning and Pens @ Johnstown - 7PM?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
My guess is no. He hasn't been paired with an NHL dman so far.

If I had to guess, the last spot up for grabs is between Clendening and Erixon.

I am hopeful it's lining up for us to keep both:

Letang
Maatta
Cole
Dumo
Clendening
Lovejoy

Erixon
(Scuds or Gonch)

Then you've got 3 guys who can play RD and LD, and one who can play both in Cole. And Scuds. Not ideal for Erixon to sit in the pressbox, but maybe the play him some nights to even out the minutes for the young guys.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I don't know what people expect. Johnston is doing the exact same thing as last year. The best wingers start with Crosby and stay with Crosby until someone better comes along. The bit about chemistry is just lip service. MJ will happily break up chemistry when it's at the expense of Hornqvist but, let's face it, no one's going to force his hand when it's Kessel.

Instead of complaining, we should be happy that Rutherford and Johnston have shown they're willing to do what the fanbase has been asking for since forever - building around the team's biggest strength. AKA Crosby.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kunitz struggling away from Kessel and Crosby is actually not a positive, IMO, as it will give the coaches a reason to go back to "chemistry".

Your posts have all been progressively more depressing the last few days...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He can just throw out some BS "Kunitz ahowed great chemistry with those 2" or "Kunitz battled hard out there" and just leave it at that. Him not trying other solutions really has no potential to backfire on him specifically, as in he's not going to hear a thing from the media for keeping Kunitz there.

If Kessel is working with Crosby, there is no reason to split them up. I'm actually glad MJ is doing that. Just because Malkin may be better with Kessel doesn't mean they should try and see if he is better. It it's not broken, don't fix it.

Really? Crosby-Hornqvist wasn't broken either and they visibly had more chemistry than Hornqvist had with Geno.

So that logic seems a little strange. It's preseason. You can try different things to find the best combinations. I'm fine that Kessel is with Sid but to say you shouldn't try it because Kessel is working well with Sid is weird.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know what people expect. Johnston is doing the exact same thing as last year. The best wingers start with Crosby and stay with Crosby until someone better comes along. The bit about chemistry is just lip service. MJ will happily break up chemistry when it's at the expense of Hornqvist but, let's face it, no one's going to force his hand when it's Kessel.

Instead of complaining, we should be happy that Rutherford and Johnston have shown they're willing to do what the fanbase has been asking for since forever - building around the team's biggest strength. AKA Crosby.

Kunitz is the Pen's 2nd best winger?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Letang
Maatta
Cole
Dumo
Clendening
Lovejoy

Erixon
(Scuds or Gonch)

Then you've got 3 guys who can play RD and LD, and one who can play both in Cole. And Scuds. Not ideal for Erixon to sit in the pressbox, but maybe the play him some nights to even out the minutes for the young guys.

Agreed. I haven't gotten a good enough look at Erixon in preseason, but Clendening has been better than expected.

I only say part of the game on Monday, but I thought Warsofsky looked pretty solid (with the puck at least). Can anyone who has seen all of the games (or more than me) comment on how he has performed and where they think he stacks up on the depth chart?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Kunitz kind of throws this theory off.

Letang
Maatta
Cole
Dumo
Clendening
Lovejoy

Erixon
(Scuds or Gonch)

If they keep 8D or manage to dispose of Scuderi then I could see both staying.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Really? Crosby-Hornqvist wasn't broken either and they visibly had more chemistry than Hornqvist had with Geno.

I personally wasn't for trying Kessel with Crosby for just that reason, because Hornqvist and Crosby together were great and I thought breaking them apart when they were so good would be stupid. I originally wanted PCH and PMK because we knew PCH worked and either Malkin-Kessel or PCH would luck out with 2nd D pairs. Then Sid and Kessel actually got put together and they have been even better than Crosby-Hornqvist was, and along with that, Hornqvist with Malkin has been successful too.

Both lines are working well right now, I don't want them split up just to see if swapping the RWS would make it better. I'd rather those lines continue to play together and get more chemistry.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I personally wasn't for trying Kessel with Crosby for just that reason, because Hornqvist and Crosby together were great and I thought breaking them apart when they were so good would be stupid. I originally wanted PCH and PMK because we knew PCH worked and either Malkin-Kessel or PCH would luck out with 2nd D pairs. Then Sid and Kessel actually got put together and they have been even better than Crosby-Hornqvist was, and along with that, Hornqvist with Malkin has been successful too.

Both lines are working well right now, I don't want them split up just to see if swapping the RWS would make it better. I'd rather those lines continue to play together and get more chemistry.

That's fair. I'm still not convinced that both Plots and Hornqvist together are the right fit, but Geno and Plots seem to have some chemistry. If Hornqvist could slide to LW or Plots moved up with Sid, the fits seem more natural but chemistry can be a strange thing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't think Plots/Hornqvist together are the best use of talent, but I also think that, if you can find the correct Sid line (note: it doesn't include Kunitz), a Plot - Malkin - Hornqvist line is going to punish the **** out of teams.

Sid/Kessel will always draw the top defensive assignments (from opposing teams). Let's assume that Geno's line draws the #1 line from other teams (so skill v skill), those players are going to be chasing the puck and getting hit on every shift.

THEN, when Fehr is healthy, let's say you have a Bonino - Fehr - Dupuis line. Holy smokes. On home ice, when MJ has the advantage, that line is always going up against #1s. And they are a good mix of grit, speed, and puck possession.

And hey, in my world, the 4th line is Kunitz - Cullen - Bennett, which means that even then, teams don't get a rest.

If MJ does this right - and he won't - this is the deepest team in the league, capable of beating you in any way you want to be beat.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd love for a sniper to be on one of Geno's wings, but I do think that line could cause ****ing havoc on the opposition as is. Between the play around the net and along the boards, to the forecheck, to Geno's tempo-controlling style.

And then you've got Perron digging for pucks, hustling his ass off, and creating space for Sid and Kessel to do their thing. All the while, having infinitely more talent and offensive ability than any other LWer on the roster.

It just makes too much sense for it to actually play out like that. Fun stuff, this being a Penguins fan.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Plots/Hornqvist together are the best use of talent, but I also think that, if you can find the correct Sid line (note: it doesn't include Kunitz), a Plot - Malkin - Hornqvist line is going to punish the **** out of teams.

Sid/Kessel will always draw the top defensive assignments (from opposing teams). Let's assume that Geno's line draws the #1 line from other teams (so skill v skill), those players are going to be chasing the puck and getting hit on every shift.

THEN, when Fehr is healthy, let's say you have a Bonino - Fehr - Dupuis line. Holy smokes. On home ice, when MJ has the advantage, that line is always going up against #1s. And they are a good mix of grit, speed, and puck possession.

And hey, in my world, the 4th line is Kunitz - Cullen - Bennett, which means that even then, teams don't get a rest.

If MJ does this right - and he won't - this is the deepest team in the league, capable of beating you in any way you want to be beat.

Agreed. I think there are a couple of ways to implement the bottom two lines and accomplish the same goal. The main thing is to get the right complement of players for Sid and Geno and the rest will work itself out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd love for a sniper to be on one of Geno's wings, but I do think that line could cause ****ing havoc on the opposition as is. Between the play around the net and along the boards, to the forecheck, to Geno's tempo-controlling style.

And then you've got Perron digging for pucks, hustling his ass off, and creating space for Sid and Kessel to do their thing. All the while, having infinitely more talent and offensive ability than any other LWer on the roster.

It just makes too much sense for it to actually play out like that. Fun stuff, this being a Penguins fan.

As long as Plots can read off of Geno on the rush, I think that line will do well. Hornqvist hasn't really figured out Geno on the rush. Their timing and reads have been off from each other, IMO. In the zone, he's fine by driving to the net. Plots can be a beast in the corners and open up space in the slot for those guys.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Kunitz is the Pen's 2nd best winger?
Not at the moment, no, but a year ago the general consensus was that the team had two legit(ish) top six wingers (Hornqvist and Kunitz). So they started the season with those two flanking Crosby.

This year, the consensus seems to be that there are three legit top six wingers. Hornqvist, being the lesser RW in that group, has been demoted to Malkin's line. That leaves Perron and Kessel as the first-line wingers. Considering how reluctant MJ's been to experiment with anything of note, I don't think he would've made the recent roster decisions he's made if he didn't intend to follow through. In other words, I believe there's more than a decent chance that Kunitz really is off Crosby's line. Naturally, this likely means he'll be flanking Malkin instead but I think I'll save that rant for tomorrow.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
As long as Plots can read off of Geno on the rush, I think that line will do well. Hornqvist hasn't really figured out Geno on the rush. Their timing and reads have been off from each other, IMO. In the zone, he's fine by driving to the net. Plots can be a beast in the corners and open up space in the slot for those guys.

If you watch some KHL YouTube stuff, Plots is a pretty decent playmaker, and seems to have good vision on the ice. I expect once he's comfortable to see him setting up Geno in the slot and PH on the doorstep a lot. It will give Geno all the prime scoring ice to work with. Plus we can play the LA game and throw the puck at the goaltenders feet in the postseason.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If you watch some KHL YouTube stuff, Plots is a pretty decent playmaker, and seems to have good vision on the ice. I expect once he's comfortable to see him setting up Geno in the slot and PH on the doorstep a lot. It will give Geno all the prime scoring ice to work with. Plus we can play the LA game and throw the puck at the goaltenders feet in the postseason.

Good points. Who knows that line may end up dominating when it comes time for playoff hockey. Either way, it's certainly nice to have some big bodied forwards (or really strong and tenacious in Hornqvist's case) that can battle and open up space.

Between Plots, Hornqvist, Fehr, and Sundqvist (if he's in the NHL), the Pens are finally getting the size they need to compete in playoff type hockey. Add in Kessel and you have a really intriguing mix of forwards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not at the moment, no, but a year ago the general consensus was that the team had two legit(ish) top six wingers (Hornqvist and Kunitz). So they started the season with those two flanking Crosby.

This year, the consensus seems to be that there are three legit top six wingers. Hornqvist, being the lesser RW in that group, has been demoted to Malkin's line. That leaves Perron and Kessel as the first-line wingers. Considering how reluctant MJ's been to experiment with anything of note, I don't think he would've made the recent roster decisions he's made if he didn't intend to follow through. In other words, I believe there's more than a decent chance that Kunitz really is off Crosby's line. Naturally, this likely means he'll be flanking Malkin instead but I think I'll save that rant for tomorrow.

I think you are wrong about Kunitz. Dude will find a way to play with Crosby.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Plotnikov's done everything right since signing with us. Bought out of his own contract. Moved here early to get settled. Played smart defensively while adjusting to the NHL ice and with a star center. Now we're seeing he may actually be a legitimate power forward in this league.

I'd rank that up there with the Kessel trade as just too good to be true.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Plotnikov's done everything right since signing with us. Bought out of his own contract. Moved here early to get settled. Played smart defensively while adjusting to the NHL ice and with a star center. Now we're seeing he may actually be a legitimate power forward in this league.

If, and this is a big if, but if Plots continues on this upward arc, and becomes a legit top 6 power forward, then who would you rather have, Perron @ 4.5m x 5, or Plots? Because it wouldn't appear we could afford both.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

But why can't he do it??? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
If, and this is a big if, but if Plots continues on this upward arc, and becomes a legit top 6 power forward, then who would you rather have, Perron @ 4.5m x 5, or Plots? Because it wouldn't appear we could afford both.
Won't he be an RFA next year? If so, we can get 2 years at a more palatable rate. If not, you're right...we'll be in a jam.

And 2 years of relief is huge because it means the trifecta of Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi will be coming off the books. That's 10 millionish freed up.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, really hard to not be excited about the guy right now. I want to temper my expectations, but if he continues on this trend he looks like the power forward this team has desperately needed.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just realized Clendening looks like Rich Piana, at least from the neck up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad