OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
For the next 30 years, putting all my money in the Nasdaq 100 or s&p500 ETF? Which one allows a person to retire with more money? Just curious what other people's opinions are

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
For the next 30 years, putting all my money in the Nasdaq 100 or s&p500 ETF? Which one allows a person to retire with more money? Just curious what other people's opinions are

Why not both.... Just get a total market fund like VEQT.

The two indices are just 600 companies, while there are more than 12,000 public companies in the world. You miss out on emerging markets, other developed markets, and on small/mid caps.

Reactions: MasterD

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Facebook with 26% drop today. Wonder if this spreads to rest on large cap companies?

Meta got punished for a poor quarter and not so rosy forecast. Apple privacy setting killed part of revenue stream. TikTok and similar are eating into userbase. Company has never been well diversified like GOOG, MSFT, AMZN or APPL. Wouldn't worry too much about the other four.

Metaverse may be their hope for revenue growth but that is gonna take a while to develop and outcome is still unknown.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ok. I am willing to answer questions here about NFTs.

Since August I have made a life changing amount of money in NFTs.

It is literally the wild west, and not for everybody. But it is the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It is literally the wild west, and not for everybody. But it is the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life.
This just popped up on my Google news headlines. Maybe it’s click bait, maybe not. I have no idea. But I figured I’d post it here.

Huge NFT Collector Warns of "Cataclysmic Market Crash"

I know zero about NFTs btw. Tell me all about them.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Reactions: japhi

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m excited to see what the GameStop NFT marketplace will look like. A partnership with immutable x has already been confirmed. Mentions of Loopring in their filing as well although their exact role is unclear. Vague tweets from Microsoft blockchain expert that said “must be nothing” followed by an immutable x tweet “probably nothing”.
Trying to wrap my head around how this NFT marketplace will all play out. I still believe there is an unimaginable amount of shorts connected to the gme ticker. This might end up being the catalyst for this to pop off. GameStop has been tight lipped on their future plans and pieces of the puzzle are slowly beginning to emerge. ESL tweeted they were bullish on the gme marketplace.
I think this is an easy value bet at a 100$ a pop now without the squeeze. Then again, I said that a year ago. Big things are coming from GameStop.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was looking at getting some PYPL since it's down so much, but since I didn't get NVDA yet and I like them way more, I might just wait to see what happens to the market next month after they raise rates as the last 2 times it was a total shit show but this time it could be different as I think it's already priced in so it may not get so ugly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Think Bombardier has any future? I don't know the company that well but it has triple in last year.

Trading for less than earnings. Which is $2.25 per share.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was looking at getting some PYPL since it's down so much, but since I didn't get NVDA yet and I like them way more, I might just wait to see what happens to the market next month after they raise rates as the last 2 times it was a total shit show but this time it could be different as I think it's already priced in so it may not get so ugly.
PayPal really took a beating last year or so. It's not one of mine, just glancing at their finances. Year on year their revenue increased but earnings decreased. Major! They have more debt than cash. Not shorted though. Only 1%. That's good sign.

If you can find the reasons for their decline and believe it will rebound maybe potential there. But some red flags in their financial statement.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
PayPal really took a beating last year or so. It's not one of mine, just glancing at their finances. Year on year their revenue increased but earnings decreased. Major! They have more debt than cash. Not shorted though. Only 1%. That's good sign.

If you can find the reasons for their decline and believe it will rebound maybe potential there. But some red flags in their financial statement.

I like it for their crypto, they started letting using trade 4 different crypto last year, I hope they expand it though to add a few more. They have a good bit of cash on hand. It's down almost 200 points from the highs so I might take a small position, maybe 25-50 shares but I doubt I will do much of anything until after they raise rates next month and then see how it goes after that.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Not a stock but stock people love free money soooo ... Espace jeux - Play now offer phoenix Suns to win the conference at 3,2 and it legit free money. They prolly Win it 8 Time outta 10. Bet now, thx me later !

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Did an experiment in early 2021. Bought 500$ worth of shares in 20 different NFTs out of some extra cash I ended up having (due to finally deciding against buying a new car), wanting to see how/whether they would crash and burn or turn profitable over the course of about two-three months.

7 lost a ton (more than 60%), 8 lost a bunch (40-60%), 2 lost moderately (25-30%) and only 3 made a profit. But I got lucky and the three NFTs I chose made a killing. In the end I got close to double my investment back despite only profiting on 3/20 NFTs and losing basically everything on 7.

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to stocks so I'll consider that as a pretty enlightening experience. It was a fun one that fortunately ended up well for me.

But damn, NFTs are seriously straight-up gambling except the house doesn't always win.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuebecPride and the

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Did an experiment in early 2021. Bought 500$ worth of shares in 20 different NFTs out of some extra cash I ended up having (due to finally deciding against buying a new car), wanting to see how/whether they would crash and burn or turn profitable over the course of about two-three months.

7 lost a ton (more than 60%), 8 lost a bunch (40-60%), 2 lost moderately (25-30%) and only 3 made a profit. But I got lucky and the three NFTs I chose made a killing. In the end I got close to double my investment back despite only profiting on 3/20 NFTs and losing basically everything on 7.

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to stocks so I'll consider that as a pretty enlightening experience. It was a fun one that fortunately ended up well for me.

But damn, NFTs are seriously straight-up gambling except the house doesn't always win.

Yep, I'm in on Topshot, I got in where everyone made killings but I feel for all the people who joined right after. They got smoked.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl

Newbie question but what makes you think NFT is not gambling? From a NFT producer (artist, etc...) or a NFT trading platforms, it adds a new revenue stream but I don't see it from an investor perspective.

Would you adequate NFTs to computer game skins (CS:S / Fornite / etc...) and it is based on bragging rights?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad