OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The economy is at full employment and with Covid in its final push supply chain issues will slowly get better. While I think the next few months will be rough, not sure the party is over yet. Doubt we see SP grow over 25% again but there will be lots of deals in the next few months. Trying to time the bottom is almost impossible so if buying for the long term, should be some good value

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Screenshot-2022-01-07-131143-1.png

Updating My Favorite Performance Chart For 2021

Reactions: llamateizer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I might pick up some NVDA soon, likely wait another week to see how the market is going, and to see if it drops more. I'm still pissed at not picking it up before, it was around 110 or so and I was saying if it drops into the 90's I'll buy and instead it went the other way. They are sitting on almost 20B in cash, at this price that's attractive but if the Fed is going to raise rates this year it's likely going to be rough couple of months.
I bought too quick on NVDA. Paid too much for it. $283. I didn't buy much though. If it drops more I will buy more. Average down.

Reactions: montreal

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Couldn't resist, bought more SHOP. Down 11% for the year and 42% last 6 months. This is a good company that is oversold IMO. Sitting at 34x PE which is pretty attractive for a growth company. But who knows, may go to 800.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Couldn't resist, bought more SHOP. Down 11% for the year and 42% last 6 months. This is a good company that is oversold IMO. Sitting at 34x PE which is pretty attractive for a growth company. But who knows, may go to 800.
Yup, financials look good. EPS $27 US. Down 12% today. Maybe I should buy some SHOP instead of NVDA?

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
How low can LSPD go? I sold all my LSPD when the Spruce Point report came out, no regrets.
Anybody have thoughts on current share price?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
How low can LSPD go? I sold all my LSPD when the Spruce Point report came out, no regrets.
I bought at 43 and thought I did well. Can’t answer your question but TD has a target of 120 and has them on their action list, fwiw

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Yup, financials look good. EPS $27 US. Down 12% today. Maybe I should buy some SHOP instead of NVDA?
They have a significant stake in Stripe, which will be a 50b plus IPO. That is what has me excited about them, plus they are a great company with solid leadership.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
SHOP certainly took a beat since Late November. It was $1,600 back then.
I did really well on that stock. Sold it near its high. I think it's going to fall a more before it comes back. It really feels like we're heading into a storm.

Bought some more of EGLX... what a mistake. :laugh: That stock has been killing me. Got out of everything else but couldn't help myself here. And of course it's gone down more...

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Think this Ukraine Russia thing is affecting market?

Geopolitical risks create uncertainty promoting safer assets. Just one of many factors in play at the moment contributing to stock tanking. May there be blood on the streets, we are well overdue. :)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Geopolitical risks create uncertainty promoting safer assets. Just one of many factors in play at the moment contributing to stock tanking. May there be blood on the streets, we are well overdue. :)

Amen, like my buddy says we need one more BIG correction followed by a 5-10 year bull market and we can retire. My plan is to keep pushing chips in. Don't care if I find the absolute bottom, good companies bought today will look cheap in 5 years. Ride the waves. Drink rum.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I’m in fianance and I do all these over analyzing models and everything when I invest, I do okay.

my immigrant father with zero financial background, told me the only rule he follows is cash is king hahaha.

going with my pops in the NVDA train

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Do any of you investing on the stock market use options to hedge your positions? If so, what kind of use do you regularly use them for? (ie: Puts to protect position, Selling calls. etc..

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What if there is no big dip, and then instead of going down 20% the S&P goes up 20%. What will you do?
I think there is still quite a dip yet to come. We haven't even reached the first rate hike yet. Tesla for example, the main one I am watching, is still trading around 300 times earnings. I think it will dip yet. May even get well in $800s.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Russia big on commodities. If it goes to some type of war may affect supply for natural gas and oil. Other countries sanctions I mean.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do any of you investing on the stock market use options to hedge your positions? If so, what kind of use do you regularly use them for? (ie: Puts to protect position, Selling calls. etc..

I mostly use naked calls, usually deep out of the money and I would never recommend it as it's very difficult.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I mostly use naked calls, usually deep out of the money and I would never recommend it as it's very difficult.
You know I really want to step up my trading game and utilize options but I am avoiding doing the research ….I worry about getting to into it and losing big

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was up almost 100 percent. Didn’t sell in time. Got out with a small profit.

It will come back but I think it has more to fall first. I’d get out of the way of this thing. A major correction is underway. I’d prefer it to stabilize before going in.

That said, the price is attractive and in the long run I think buying in now would make you some good coin. But be ready to ride the coaster…

Last edited:
Reactions: neopreneur

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Absolutely not. Being overleveraged to the tits is impacting the market. There always needs to be a cover story for why pension funds are gambled away.
I think the valuations were out of whack. Stocks are correcting now and this is the painful part. I’m glad I got the hell out.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You know I really want to step up my trading game and utilize options but I am avoiding doing the research ….I worry about getting to into it and losing big

be very careful, I would suggest learning how to paper trade them first, it's very easy to lose money in options.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
be very careful, I would suggest learning how to paper trade them first, it's very easy to lose money in options.
Appreciate it, going to avoid them. I just need 12 years at ~ 8% net fee’s and I’m permanently on a beach in Costa Rica

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes