Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Finished season 3 of Narcos and season 2 of Dirk Gently. I thought both were great, but they pick up steam after 2-3 episodes.

I also watched Lost in Space's (the reboot) episode 1 and I'm not sure what to make of it. The acting is stifled, but not overly bad. The visuals are impressive which makes the show at least a little bit entertaining. But, what really turned me off was the artificial suspense the writers created by making every improbable turns of event happen. Like, it was almost over the top how the characters couldn't catch a break.

If this is how the rest of the season plays out, I'm probably out.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hmm, I was planning to binge Lost in Space. I never watched the original, but saw the movie remake with William Hurt... which I did not like at all.

I did watch Pacific Rim Uprising yesterday. 5/10... it was ok, with a decent attempt at world building, but overall it felt uninspiring and I found myself thinking a lot “why did they make this?”

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This week's episode of Homeland is back on track. What a ride. The action moves to Moscow while major events unfold concurrently in the US. But, the Russian action is riveting. It reminds me of several episodes I enjoyed in Seasons 4 and 5. This is a must-watch, it's a tightly-wounded storyline that'll have you at the edge of your seat.

Good to hear. Haven’t watched it yet, but based on last weeks episode, it looks like they are filing away the bi-polar storyline and dealing with her daughter drama.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
This week's episode of Homeland is back on track. What a ride. The action moves to Moscow while major events unfold concurrently in the US. But, the Russian action is riveting. It reminds me of several episodes I enjoyed in Seasons 4 and 5. This is a must-watch, it's a tightly-wounded storyline that'll have you at the edge of your seat.

I thought it was a pretty good episode as well. I expect Carrie will probably get stuck and detained in Moscow and the CIA will put together a team to break Jack Bauer out of the Russian jail he's currently in so he can rescue her. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
isle of dogs: 7.8/10 One of the best film of the year so far.

Les appendices: 7.5/10 pretty good sketchs shows with many colorful songs.

In the Fade: 7.4/10

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Dirty Money on Netflix is pretty cool. Looked to me like it would be full of conspiracy theory, but I like that the journalists try to hear both sides of the stories. What got me hooked was that two episodes (out of 6) actually involved Québec. One more precisely as it looks at the famous Maple Syrup Heist and try to find out what caused it and the other because it involves Valeant, which I believe is still based in Laval for tax purposes. Valeant happens to be the most recent corporate failure in a while and it happened while I was completing my Finance undergrad, so I loved that episode, to say the least. I find corporate failures studies to be extremely interesting.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Several years of anticipation should finally pay off for me this summer. First glimpse at "Sharp Objects" was released a few days ago.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Finished season 3 of Narcos and season 2 of Dirk Gently. I thought both were great, but they pick up steam after 2-3 episodes.

I also watched Lost in Space's (the reboot) episode 1 and I'm not sure what to make of it. The acting is stifled, but not overly bad. The visuals are impressive which makes the show at least a little bit entertaining. But, what really turned me off was the artificial suspense the writers created by making every improbable turns of event happen. Like, it was almost over the top how the characters couldn't catch a break.

I thought seasons 1 & 2 were awesome...I didn't expect as much for season 3.

but it blew me away how good it was.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Same here, I was losing interest after the first episode but it really picks up with Salcedo's storyline. They really nailed that character.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Avengers Infinity War : 8/10 Best movie of the year so far.

Bosch season 1: 7.5/10 Good season
Saw it Friday night. f***ing loved it. Don’t get me wrong it’, there was a lot going on , maybe too much but it was never boring
The ending was just amazing. Spider-Man almost brought a tear to my eye. Although CGI , I thought Thanos is the best comic book villain after Ledgers joker.
Can’t wait till next may

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Mixed feelings with Avengers Infinity War in that I liked a lot of stuff that were in there and it was well made but I was not moved somehow. I cannot explain why, maybe it's cause everything happened too quickly whatever.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I finished up The Looming Tower last night and found it very interesting and I quite enjoyed it. Especially the CIA/FBI stuff since I enjoy watching these type of TV shows..

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I also watched episode 1 of Lost in Space. Wow that was pretty intense. I thought they did a good job of building up the suspense and portraying the new planet as a hostile environment. The CGI is pretty well done. Also it took me a while to realize that the Dad is the same actor who plays Captain Flint in the TV show Black Sails.

Season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale premiered this week. Season 1 was pretty good.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Hmm, I was planning to binge Lost in Space. I never watched the original, but saw the movie remake with William Hurt... which I did not like at all.

I did watch Pacific Rim Uprising yesterday. 5/10... it was ok, with a decent attempt at world building, but overall it felt uninspiring and I found myself thinking a lot “why did they make this?”

To be fair you could probably say the same thing about the first movie. :sarcasm:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Same here, I was losing interest after the first episode but it really picks up with Salcedo's storyline. They really nailed that character.

Guess I'll give season 3 another try. Absolutely loved the first two seasons but could never get into the third. It didn't feel the same without Pablo, who was so well played.

Reactions: Laurentide

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Guess I'll give season 3 another try. Absolutely loved the first two seasons but could never get into the third. It didn't feel the same without Pablo, who was so well played.
I didn't enjoy Season 3 as much, but pushed through it, because I like the show. The season has its moments, but I agree about Pablo.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Caught up with the rest of the world and saw Infinity War yesterday. I liked it and put it up there with their better Marvel movies. But the last two Captain America’s, Ragnorok and GOTG1 were better.

That said, Thanos was one of the better villains for sure; not for being basically unstoppable, but his motivations were fairly well fleshed out, and he is clearly flawed. He’s not as generic as typical villains about simply wanting power for the sake of having power.

I want to discuss the last act, but it’ll spoil it for everyone else. However, one thing that was cool was the last image in the post-credit that will lead into the next movie (sort of) after Ant-Man and Wasp.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Me too. I watched a couple of episodes of season 3 and it just didn't move the needle for me. Once Pablo was gone, everyone who comes after him is just "more", not "better". After awhile you realize that these tropes about drug lords are all the same things just repeated over and over. Only the names of the characters change. What, after all, is Peaky Blinders but the Sopranos by other means? The names and costumes are different but the essential story is the same.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King: 7.3/10

Lean on Pete : 7.3/10

The terror: 6.5/10 Not very good. With all the hype i was hoping for something better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->