Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We seem to be at the polar opposites. I found Hardcore Henry insufferable after about ten minutes when it's gimmick wore off. I gave up on it altogether after about twenty five minutes. It felt like a fun YouTube video that went on way too long.

Because POV perspective can be destabilizing and overwhelming. That movie breaks several molds amd was probably hard to film. If you'd stuck around to meet Sharlto Copley's (the guy from District 9) character, that scene is just pretty impressive. The cut-offs are neatly done, especially in that scene. But I get it. POV is not easy to watch. Maybe I've seen too many movies and am more attracted to films that stick out and are out of the ordinary. Also helps that I used to game A LOT and am used to POV.

Your youtube comment belies a limited understanding of cinematography. That film is actually quite the opposite. Very hard to plan and film. Almost as hard as planning all those angled perspective (Ames room) scenes in the Hobbit and LOTR trilogies.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
hearing good things about the new Apes movie. Still haven't watched any of the new ones. Except the new-ish Burton one which I actually liked. I know it got a lot of hate. I haven't seen it since it originally went to video but I liked it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
hearing good things about the new Apes movie. Still haven't watched any of the new ones. Except the new-ish Burton one which I actually liked. I know it got a lot of hate. I haven't seen it since it originally went to video but I liked it.

The first one with Franco was good but nor great. Dawn was meh. The new one haven't seen yet. But none of them are as good as the original movies, except the one with the mutant telepath remnants of hunanity, that one sucked.

I really liked the Burton flick. Wish there was a sequel to that one.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Well, Better call Saul ended kinda badly. Poor old Chuck finally lost it, in a big way it looks like.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Well, Better call Saul ended kinda badly. Poor old Chuck finally lost it, in a big way it looks like.

I feel no sympathy for him at all. Trying to ruin Jimmy's life and using Howard to do it. He's no different than Hector Salamanca when you think about it. Throwing away his allies because of pride.

The show does a nice job showing parralels between characters of different arcs. Jimmy and Gus who will stop at nothing for their personal gain. Chuck and Hector who's pride ends up being their undoing. Howard and Nacho who've been disrespected by those who they looked up to.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I feel no sympathy for him at all. Trying to ruin Jimmy's life and using Howard to do it. He's no different than Hector Salamanca when you think about it. Throwing away his allies because of pride.

The show does a nice job showing parralels between characters of different arcs. Jimmy and Gus who will stop at nothing for their personal gain. Chuck and Hector who's pride ends up being their undoing. Howard and Nacho who've been disrespected by those who they looked up to.

And Mike and Kim both righteous and loyal no non-sense types who are very methodical and pragmatic in their ways.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
And Mike and Kim both righteous and loyal no non-sense types who are very methodical and pragmatic in their ways.

Yes exactly. HHM and Nacho's father are also the same as Nacho and Howard sacrifice themselves to protect them. The writing in this show is terrific and its too bad that its ratings are suffering because of how slow it is. Can't wait till next season.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Miller's Crossing: 6.8/10

Love Exposure: 6/10 Take the stupid story of Old boy, remove the good actions scenes and spread that messy story on nearly 4 hours and you get Love Exposure.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
19274905_10155604047331554_4205521585916794251_n.jpg

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Was a bit disappointed with this season of Fargo. It seemed like it was all over the place and lacked something from previous years. I liked Carrie Coon though. Maybe it's time to call it quits.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Was a bit disappointed with this season of Fargo. It seemed like it was all over the place and lacked something from previous years. I liked Carrie Coon though. Maybe it's time to call it quits.

Did not watch the TV show but doesn't matter how good or bad it is they'll never top that legendary scene from the movie

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just finished the latest House of Cards season. What a weird cluster**** this has turned into. I mean after all of that, no one would ever vote for the Democrats again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Same reaction. The storyline wasn't as neatly bundled and tight as the first two seasons. It's always tough to try and follow up two great seasons of anything. I couldn't get into the idea of McGregor playing two roles. And some of the supporting characters were eminently forgettable. Yeah, time to move on.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Just finished the latest House of Cards season. What a weird cluster**** this has turned into. I mean after all of that, no one would ever vote for the Democrats again.

Speaking of politics, anyone here watches Scandal ?
I've always liked the show overall, but Season VI...so well written !!!

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

It was a wild ride. So wild that it seemed more realistic than the reality of US politics :laugh:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Okja: 7/10

Pretty entertaining at times. I rarely say this but Jake Jake Gyllenhaal has the worst performance in this movie.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hard to say if it's better than Snowpiercer and The Dark Knight.

Snowpiercer? That movie was so ridiculous I was always expecting a guy dressed in an elephant suit to come out and explain why the whole thing was a joke.

The Dark Knight was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad