Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
1:54 : 7.5/10

Ça sent la coupe: 7.4/10

Short Term 12: 7.5/10 Pretty good.

Those Who Make Revolution Halfway Only Dig Their Own Graves (Ceux qui font les révolutions à moitié n'ont fait que se creuser un tombeau):

0/10

Just terrible. 3 hours of bad acting, bad text, senseless nudity and very unlikable characters.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Just finished season 5 of Orange is the new black. Was really good , the season finale was memorable, especially the last 10 minutes. Still more to come.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just over a month away, but is anyone else excited about Dunkirk? One of the most iconic moments in WWII. It'll be interesting to see what a technical master like Nolan will do with a period piece like this (I don't really count The Prestige).

The teasers and trailers have been amazing.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I will always be excited for the new Nolan films, but I'd rather just pretend I don't here because we have a couple of film school people

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Just over a month away, but is anyone else excited about Dunkirk? One of the most iconic moments in WWII. It'll be interesting to see what a technical master like Nolan will do with a period piece like this (I don't really count The Prestige).

Trailers look great. First movie in a long time I've been excited about seeing in theatres.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw the beginning of the Epic Universal Horror Franchise Today!

Well ummm....sort of.

I was OK with it? Wasn't the bad movie that I have heard from people...As I was analyzing it, they did a lot of things that seemed right as far as scares, mood, those reanimated corpses looked closer to the traditional mummies than how they were in the Brandon Fraser franchise, limiting the bad CGI sand effects. Which was a good thing. Russel Crowe was pretty good and his character was used the right way. It seemed to have all the elements to accomplish what they wanted as far horror tropes, action, comedy and super-hero elements(see the end). But at the same time I was rather underwhelmed..? I think it was the lack of real scare, maybe or am I a bit jaded at my age....and it's more for kids? On the other hand, I still jump at scenes nowadays from Monster Squad. And even Van Helsing was more successful at being scary.

I still wouldn't mind to give these guys another try. I like Crowe's character and it's interesting what happened to Cruise at the end. So I say go on with another Monster Mash. Next time though get a director that has the skills to scare people. Bring Joe Dante out of retirement or something.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

honestly, i expect something like Pearl Harbor, but with amazing visuals and music that is RIGHT IN YOUR FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Just checked out the short film "Raaka" by Neill Blomkamp. Definitely has potential for a feature length film.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
how is no one talking about Twin Peaks!

Not only should it easily top the original series, it could be Lynch's best work and dare I say it one of the best TV series/Mini-series (whatever you call the new series) of all time. I've never eagerly awaited each new episode of a tv show in my life.

I didn't even have the highest expectations for it but I'm blown away. If you like later Lynch then I can't imagine not being in love with the new series. Can't say enough good things about it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw the movie Risen starring Joseph Fienne.

I was not interested at seeing it at first cause it is about Jesus-Christ and thought it was gonna be another badly-made Christian movie. But it showed on the Movie Network, I thought why not, I recorded it, watched it, liked it.

It's about the Centurion that was directly working for Pilate and you see the whole thing that happened there concerning the crucification through his eyes. Like for him what happened was just work(kind of like when you see stories of some of the Nazis that were not believers of their cause but were just soldiers that executed what their bosses wanted).

For instance Pilate is like "hey dude, I have crucified three guys today, can you go and clean up the mess?". Centurion(Fienne) goes there and order to end the suffering right away so these guys can die and end it quickly. One of the soldiers wants to make sure Jesus is dead so he use a lance and pierce his side and he's like alright that's done. What's interesting is that these are not the vicious guys we have seen in Jesus movies before. It's just their job, that's it. Second part of the job is that the Pharisians go to Pilate and say "hey you better guard the body of Jesus cause his disciples are gonna steal the body and lie that he has come back from the dead". Centurion send two guys there to protect the tomb but the two guys gets drunk and fall asleep! lol So the next day of course, no body. So there's this interesting element playing with reality and what the new testament desbribed.

Unfortunately I wanted them to go further into that but what happens next was more familiar to the old story. And it's more about the redemption of this Centurion that is tired of spilling blood and seeing death. It's still pretty solid though. It's interesting to see his evolution. Especially since it essentially starts with a pact of sort with God in that since he's a Roman he believes in the Roman Gods but he goes "alright my Gods are above you but I'll ask you something, if you, God of Israel, give me the power to find the Apostles, I'll built this great shrine in your honor".

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Which is your favorite old-school epic film? Lawrence o Arabia, twelve commandments, Ben-hur, Spartacus? Missing a few im sure...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I will always be excited for the new Nolan films, but I'd rather just pretend I don't here because we have a couple of film school people
Don't be precious.

There's plenty of good with Nolan films, and plenty to criticise. He's really good at making blockbusters, if you enjoy his movies for what they are and you won't need to defend his filmmaking. If you go on and say he's a master of his craft and stuff like that, then yeah - many will (or should) disagree with you.

Unless all the reviews are bad, I'll see Dunkirk when it's out, hell yeah.

I watched Alien and then Aliens in 70mm yesterday. I prefer Alien, because it's so tight and well made - aesthetically concentrated. Aliens is just more of the fun parts of Alien with a lot more action and comedy - a real crowd pleaser. Scott used to be so damn good, and Cameron is another really good blockbuster filmmaker. Great films, had a great day.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Don't be precious.

There's plenty of good with Nolan films, and plenty to criticise. He's really good at making blockbusters, if you enjoy his movies for what they are and you won't need to defend his filmmaking. If you go on and say he's a master of his craft and stuff like that, then yeah - many will (or should) disagree with you.

Unless all the reviews are bad, I'll see Dunkirk when it's out, hell yeah.

I watched Alien and then Aliens in 70mm yesterday. I prefer Alien, because it's so tight and well made - aesthetically concentrated. Aliens is just more of the fun parts of Alien with a lot more action and comedy - a real crowd pleaser. Scott used to be so damn good, and Cameron is another really good blockbuster filmmaker. Great films, had a great day.

I think Nolan is really good at making some insane set pieces and spectacular action shots. ie the docking scene in Interstellar or the truck scene in The Dark Knight. But i'm sure you know what I meant, he's one of *those* directors who get a lot of **** from specific types of people

also I watched The Royal Tenenbaums over the weekend. I'm still super in love with Wes Anderson's style eventhough i'm not the biggest fan of his writting
A Wes Anderson movie written by the Coen brothers might be my dream movie

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think Nolan is really good at making some insane set pieces and spectacular action shots. ie the docking scene in Interstellar or the truck scene in The Dark Knight. But i'm sure you know what I meant, he's one of *those* directors who get a lot of **** from specific types of people

also I watched The Royal Tenenbaums over the weekend. I'm still super in love with Wes Anderson's style eventhough i'm not the biggest fan of his writting
A Wes Anderson movie written by the Coen brothers might be my dream movie

he pretty much went down hill after Tenenbaums. Zissou's kind of funny and enjoyable but the self indulgence starts to grow there. Still haven't seen Darjeeling Limited. Fantastic Mr. Fox was actually okay. Moonrise Kingdom was utter garbage. Grand Budapest Hotel was pretty bad too.

His first 3 films were great because they felt like they were actually about real things and interesting stories. He got way too whimsical and in love with his own style after that. He just doesn't tell good stories anymore it seems.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
For the life of me I don't know what took over me, but a friend gave me a copy of John Wick 2 and I can't really say why I even started watching it, but.. I wish the barf smiley stll existed. 2/10

In the same order of things, my friend gave me a copy of Skull Island and while it was way more enjoyable than JW2, putting the old hollow earth theory from the old movies was nice, there was something missing from it's entertainment value.. some je-ne-sais-quoi that made it pretty ordinary. 6/10.

At least it was nice seeing Brie Larson in a wet shirt :naughty:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
he pretty much went down hill after Tenenbaums. Zissou's kind of funny and enjoyable but the self indulgence starts to grow there. Still haven't seen Darjeeling Limited. Fantastic Mr. Fox was actually okay. Moonrise Kingdom was utter garbage. Grand Budapest Hotel was pretty bad too.

His first 3 films were great because they felt like they were actually about real things and interesting stories. He got way too whimsical and in love with his own style after that. He just doesn't tell good stories anymore it seems.

welp, I go the complete opposite way

Moonrise was my favorite, Grand Budapest 2nd and Tenenbaums 3rd

the heavier he leans on symmetry and color palettes the happier I am

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Surprised to see the Jim Carrey produced series, I'm Dying Up Here, showing on The Movie Network. Had been looking for it. First three episodes appearing free on demand. Watched them all yesterday, liking it so far.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
welp, I go the complete opposite way

Moonrise was my favorite, Grand Budapest 2nd and Tenenbaums 3rd

the heavier he leans on symmetry and color palettes the happier I am

hahaha that's pretty funny.

I think Rushmore is his best. Didn't 'quite' develop that iconic aesthetic of his yet. Tenenbaums is really good but it's a bit uneven and you can kind of see a bit of a decline. Imo anyways. I liked Bottle Rocket a lot but need to watch it again. Doesn't really feel like a Anderson movie but there are some hallmarks there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Which is your favorite old-school epic film? Lawrence o Arabia, twelve commandments, Ben-hur, Spartacus? Missing a few im sure...

Lawrence of Arabia and Spartacus are both terrific films. Ben Hur is also great and is often unfairly boiled down to just the thrilling chariot scene, but it's a great movie overall.

I think you mean Ten Commandments, and I found that over the top and heavy handed and even a little silly, though the source material is pretty silly, so it can't really help that.

If I had to pick a favourite, despite my deep affection for anything Stanley Kubrick does, I would have to pick Lawrence of Arabia.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For the life of me I don't know what took over me, but a friend gave me a copy of John Wick 2 and I can't really say why I even started watching it, but.. I wish the barf smiley stll existed. 2/10

I loved John Wick: Chapter 2. It was easily the best action film I've seen in the last couple of years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Meh.. to each his own.

Best pure action movie I've seen in the last few years was Hardcore Henry. The cinematographic logistics alone for that movie are impressive.

We seem to be at the polar opposites. I found Hardcore Henry insufferable after about ten minutes when it's gimmick wore off. I gave up on it altogether after about twenty five minutes. It felt like a fun YouTube video that went on way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad