Leon Draisaitl or Johnny Gaudreau?

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
maybe but your discrediting Draisaitl's ability IMO...Drai made Hall a better player just like Hall made Drai a better player

and if Hall was the only one stirring the drink, then Henrique and Zajac would've had better seasons

Bingo, Hall elevated exactly nobody on Jersey. Maybe Draisaitl is just a good player, who has also happened to play with good players.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
you do realize that Oilers playoff run last season would've been the Flames 2nd longest since '89 right?

Blowing a 2-0 lead in a playoff series is nothing to brag about.

If Mcdavid gets hurt... Oilers pick first overall again. Better hope Draisatil isn't relied on to lead your team.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

If Mcdavid gets hurt... Oilers pick first overall again. Better hope Draisatil isn't relied on to lead your team.

Might be a bit of hyperbole here, once again. Oilers certainly will be worse without McDavid but they likely have enough depth to still be a 15th - 20th team in the league if McDavid is down.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

In your scenerio, it means McDavid goes down at the start of the year, and misses the whole year. Even then, if they miss the playoffs, it is in the 13th-15th lottery position. If they win Dahlin from that, it might be worth it for reaction. :laugh:

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009

I'd argue if talbot went down that would be the end to their season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yes, they did things that wouldn't have worked against almost any other team that made the playoffs that year, and most other years as well. This is why their win is given an asterisk.

Great forechecking/agitation is often what swings a playoff series. How that is an asterisk is beyond me.

Case in point - the very next series against Anaheim, Ferland started running around, slammed himself into the boards and basically out of the series.

Ferland missed most of that series to an oblique injury so I'm not sure how he was "running around".

Anaheim kept their cool through the series, the Flames had very few powerplays, and Gaudreau was a non-factor outside of one game.

Anaheim being better than Vancouver is not an indictment on Vancouver. Anaheim won the division and were extremely close to knocking off the eventual champion Chicago Blackhawks that year. The Canucks were an average playoff team that lost their series. The Ducks were a tier or two above the Canucks. But that doesn't mean Vancouver was "the worst playoff team in the last 15 years". That's just absurd.

I'd argue if talbot went down that would be the end to their season.

If Talbot went down we'd have to deal with Rasmus Dahlin to Edmonton talk :laugh:

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
maybe but your discrediting Draisaitl's ability IMO...Drai made Hall a better player just like Hall made Drai a better player

and if Hall was the only one stirring the drink, then Henrique and Zajac would've had better seasons

Also, as great as McDavid is.. he didn't have much chemistry or success playing with Hall and Eberle as well. But for some reason, he and Draisaitl were superb together. Maybe Drai deserves more credit here than just being McDavid's sidekick.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If you want a future Art Ross winner - Gaudreau
If you want a decent Robin to a really good Batman - Draisaitl

...That Canucks team had the 8th-most points in the NHL that season. Gotta love revisionist history.

Ah man, I saw such a ridiculous post and wondered... then I saw the author.. .the man who claims that Johhny is as good as Connor. :laugh:

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Guy was 6th in scoring in his second season without a McDavid on his line. That was one season ago.

And whoever said Draisaitl has better numbers, Gaudreau is crushing him in PPG (again, while being the best player on the team) with 0.88 compared to Leons 0.72. He's also beating him in plus minus.

This thread is a total joke

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Guy was 6th in scoring in his second season without a McDavid on his line. That was one season ago.

And whoever said Draisaitl has better numbers, Gaudreau is crushing him in PPG (again, while being the best player on the team) with 0.88 compared to Leons 0.72. He's also beating him in plus minus.

Gaudreau can't carry his jock strap though.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

Why are you so upset? Why is it a joke? Maybe most people can see that Leon is just the better overall package than Johnny.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I'm just going to point out that this is partially because dumbass MacTavish tried to rush Draisaitl to the NHL. When you start your NHL career with 9 points in nearly 40 games because you aren't ready as an 18 year old, it kind of puts you at a disadvantage when put in direct comparison with a 20-21 year old. Gaudreau had only one full season by the time he was the age Draisaitl is now. So career ppg really doesn't mean anything. There are arguments both sides can make to show why they prefer their guy. Career ppg is not a good one though.

I do agree that Johnny has had the best year of the two so far though. 78 points and 30 goals in 79 games is better than Leon's 77 points and 29 goals in 82 games. I think Leon's all around game makes up for the difference. Really, both guys are young enough that we don't know who will have the better/longer career yet.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

You really think plus/minus is a good stat for comparisons when one guy took a -17 on an awful Oilers team during his rookie season? As though JG wouldn't have?

Career PPG is nice, but really Leon's only sucks because he didn't produce very well in his first rookie season where he only played 37 games. Doesn't really mean he's automatically worse now just because he got off to a slower start.

What say you of Drai's better playoff numbers? Or the fact that he's a big centre ?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You really think plus/minus is a good stat for comparisons when one guy took a -17 on an awful Oilers team during his rookie season? As though JG wouldn't have?

Career PPG is nice, but really Leon's only sucks because he didn't produce very well in his first rookie season where he only played 37 games. Doesn't really mean he's automatically worse now just because he got off to a slower start.

What say you of Drai's better playoff numbers? Or the fact that he's a big centre ?

Remove Draisaitl's rookie season and Gaudreau still has a much higher career PPG, despite not having the benefit of a Connor McDavid / playing against 2nd pairing defenseman.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Remove Draisaitl's rookie season and Gaudreau still has a much higher career PPG, despite not having the benefit of a Connor McDavid / playing against 2nd pairing defenseman.

0.05 points per game is not MUCH higher.

Even if both of these players are gonna be around the same in terms of point production, its the intangibles and everything else that makes Draisailt the superior player.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Much higher?

203 points in 231 games = 0.878787879PPG
128 points in 154 games = 0.831168831PPG

Yes, Gaudreau doesn't have the shelter of a player like McDavid. At the same age as Draisaitl is now, where was Gaudreau playing?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
0.05 points per game is not MUCH higher.

Even if both of these players are gonna be around the same in terms of point production, its the intangibles and everything else that makes Draisailt the superior player.

Its a huge difference when one of the players PPG drops significantly when away from the best offensive player in the NHL.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Johnny is better at creating offense and scoring goals and thats the hardest thing to do in hockey. I'd say he is the better hockey player.

Draisaitl has strengths in other areas but for this discussion, i think johnny wins it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad