Leon Draisaitl or Johnny Gaudreau?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Johnny is slick but LD brings way more to the table in terms of size, defence, faceoffs, age, position etc. This should be a lopsided poll. If you factor in contracts it makes JG closer but still...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Close but Drai. He's going to be a premier center in this league soon and already one of better wingers when he's there. I'll take a Kopitar over a Kessel

JG will have a big bounce back year tho

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sorry but other than contract I dont think it is close at all.

80 point winger who was the undisputed driver of his line a season ago. How is this "not close"? Dry was flanking the best player in the world in his breakout year.

I mean, if he is a perennial 77 point center driving his own line away from McD maybe then it's not close but I still see johnny as a ppg winger going forward. He had a down year statistically last year, but you can see when you watch, he's a top tier offensive talent in this league.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
80 point winger who was the undisputed driver of his line a season ago. How is this "not close"? Dry was flanking the best player in the world in his breakout year.

I mean, if he is a perennial 77 point center driving his own line away from McD maybe then it's not close but I still see johnny as a ppg winger going forward. He had a down year statistically last year, but you can see when you watch, he's a top tier offensive talent in this league.

Draisaitl was still at a solid point pace before moving to McDavids wing.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Really, really, reeeaaallly wanna see how Draisaitl performs centering his own line for a full season away from McDavid.

He's a fantastic player, but his numbers away from McDavid are a little worrisome. Plus, despite playing with McDavid for most, if not the whole season, he still finished below the 78 point mark Gaudreau set a year prior. It was only 1 less point but he played 3 more games and played with the best offensive player in the game. Not to mention Gaudreau had 7 more even strength points in his career season than Draisaitl had last season.

If Draisaitl can produce the same (or close to the same) offensive numbers driving his own line (even though he'd be getting easier defensive matchups) then sure, I can agree he's better than Johnny, but until he does, it's hard to argue that 2016-17 Draisaitl > 2015-16 Gaudreau.

Plus, taking their contracts into consideration, at least at the moment, Draisaitl is no where close to being $1.75M better than Gaudreau.

I'm expecting a big bounce back season from Gaudreau this year as well.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

If JG gets 8 or 10 more points its still Drai.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Leon and it is not even close....little johnny midget is one solid hit away from being a ex nhl player....

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gaudreau is a deadlier player but when it comes to playoffs I believe my team will have a higher chance at succeeding with Leon then with Gaudreau, due to the fact, that he can be easily tossed around like a rag doll.

If you ask a SEL or a KHL team, it probably be Gaudreau. But NHL is Drai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad