Leivo has asked for a trade

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I've said it before. I don't think I've ever seen fans root against a young player on their own team as much as with Leivo, for no other reason than that others like him. It's absolutely absurd. As fans of the Maple Leafs, we should all primarily hope that he lives up to what some have claimed he can do. Anything else is detrimental to the team.

It's a little bit hateful to cheer against your own player, but fans have to come down to earth in regards to Leivo.

It's not the coach or the terrible fans that is keeping Leivo from a significant role in the team. It's Leivo time and time again.

Reactions: White Shadow

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's not the coach or the terrible fans that is keeping Leivo from a significant role in the team. It's Leivo time and time again.
The only thing that affects Leivo's chances to play a prominent role is the coach's opinion of him relative to other options. And I disagree with Babcock on this subject.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's a little bit hateful to cheer against your own player, but fans have to come down to earth in regards to Leivo.

Really, Leivo "time and again"? Point to me the opportunity he received where he failed because from what I've seen he always shows he's an NHL player? I get the numbers game, I get other players, but I don't get the "this kid has had all the chances in the world" type bs.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I wish Leivo all the success in the world and I empathize with his current situation. But I'm pretty much convinced that there are better alternatives to Leivo from within the organization. Becoming a permanent Leaf at this moment in history is highly competitive. There are currently scratched or demoted players who have contributed to many winning performances this season and last. There will be some winners and losers to the competition. Some of those losers will still be legit NHLers.

Reactions: DarkKnight

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I've said it before. I don't think I've ever seen fans root against a young player on their own team as much as with Leivo, for no other reason than that others like him. It's absolutely absurd. As fans of the Maple Leafs, we should all primarily hope that he lives up to what some have claimed he can do. Anything else is detrimental to the team.

they want him to fail for no other reason than they know Babs doesn't like him and doesn't want to play him

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He looked passive to me, afraid to make mistakes. I think Kapanen really drove the line. Hard to complain about anyone on that line when they had something over 90% of the expected goal differential.

Agree with this.

But with Matthews' out this is Leivo's chance to make an impression. If he gets scratched for Martin, the writing will be on the wall for him IMO.

He did draw that 5 on 3 penalty which was critical. Didn't look great but didn't look bad either.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agree with this.

But with Matthews' out this is Leivo's chance to make an impression. If he gets scratched for Martin, the writing will be on the wall for him IMO.

He did draw that 5 on 3 penalty which was critical. Didn't look great but didn't look bad either.
About sums him up. I don't get the love some have for him, he's ok but mostly I forget he's even on the Team.
Would he really be missed if he wasn't?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Really, Leivo "time and again"? Point to me the opportunity he received where he failed because from what I've seen he always shows he's an NHL player? I get the numbers game, I get other players, but I don't get the "this kid has had all the chances in the world" type bs.

54 NHL games isn't enough chances?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Spread out over a long period of time, not so much.

Young players tend to develop the best when they see consistent usage and line mates. Leivo has been ragdolled across the lineup at different times which has prevented that consistency from Blake nbg.

And still, given his usage (often on the 4th line when it had guys like Martin still on), his production has shown he should/could be in the NHL on a scoring line.

Reactions: stickty111

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Over a span of 6 years 3 NHL coaches and 3 GMs all said meh.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
The only thing that affects Leivo's chances to play a prominent role is the coach's opinion of him relative to other options. And I disagree with Babcock on this subject.
...and I agree with your disagreement.The league is getting younger. Careers will be getting shorter. if you have no use for him, let him go.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
When Kapenen plays you notice him, Leivo never seems to stand out. People need to accept the fact that he is nothing special
You notice Kapanen because speed is noticeable (obviously he has more than speed) Leivo is a different kind of player that works the boards, plays a little more physically, can work the front of the net and has a good shot...He'll help another team... I hope he ends up with one that needs his skills.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Yet they gave him reasonable money not only for this year but even more for next year and wouldn't put him on waivers. If he's that 'meh' they'd they should have no problem replacing him as a depth player.

925k is not job security. It's what you get paid in the NHL at 24 to be a mannequin at practice while the real prospects marinate in the AHL.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
925k is not job security. It's what you get paid in the NHL at 24 to be a mannequin at practice while the real prospects marinate in the AHL.

They didn’t have to offer him a contract, they have plenty of other options to be fill in at practices. Clearly they see enough about his level of play to want to keep him around for another season.

Lou squishing any notion is a trade too suggests there’s more going on behind the scenes too.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Those games were very spread out.

He was often playing on the 4th line with limited minutes.

He also did quite well during certain stretches and would get benched even after scoring a goal. Last year he put up 10 points in 13 games... and again, he was often on the 4th line with limited minutes in those games.

So he was given some limited chances... but even when he did well and was putting up points, he still got benched in favour of guys like Martin.

I think he needs a real chance (not playing on the 4th line) and he shouldn't be benched if he puts up good numbers again.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
They didn’t have to offer him a contract, they have plenty of other options to be fill in at practices. Clearly they see enough about his level of play to want to keep him around for another season.

Lou squishing any notion is a trade too suggests there’s more going on behind the scenes too.
We know that Babs doesn't like rotating guys in and out of the lineup. So, who else plays the mannequin in your opinion?

Lou hasn't said he won't trade Leivo, he said Leivo didn't ask him for a trade. Big difference.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Over a span of 6 years 3 NHL coaches and 3 GMs all said meh.
and how many 3rd rounders make the NHL a year or two after they were drafted , you don;t have to like the guy but i have no idea why you have to spew crap

he hasn't gotten a legit chance because Babs doesn't like him , it's as simple as that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad