Leivo has asked for a trade

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he looks like a nhl player in the offensive zone and on the pp...he doesnt cover points well on D in our zone, doesnt rush puck or carry puck through the zones well, isnt that strong on the forecheck

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
he looks like a nhl player in the offensive zone and on the pp...he doesnt cover points well on D in our zone, doesnt rush puck or carry puck through the zones well, isnt that strong on the forecheck
He is tentative, not at all as pro-active as he was last season. Showed flashes of that against Tampa though.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This just just ridiculous.

How is it rediculous? Notice what happens. He gets a chance. Fails. Gets taken out because we have a lot of competition. A guy like Kap gets in the same spot and does something every night to get the attention of the coach. And he stays. This isn't house league hockey where everyone's kid gets equal time. It's the big time. Lievo hasn't been good. He's Frankie 2.0

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
nothing?

the 4th line dominated.

Moore 10cf/2ca, 7scf/0sca
Kapanen 11cf/2ca, 7scf/0sca
Leivo 8cf/3ca, 7scf/0sca

might be the best 4th line game we've had all season.

which isn't surprising, given that that's the best 4th line we've iced all season.

Kap drives the line and makes the line look good. Has nothing to do with Leivo. 3 points in 14 games. Not excellent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kapanen being a better prospect and player doesn’t mean Leivo is garbage. I don’t think anyone would claim Leivo could drive a line on his own, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have utility on the ice.

Contextualizing his offense, playing limited usage on the 4th line alongside Martin is hardly a position to thrive for a complimentary player.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leivo has not looked very good, sure he can put up the occasional point, but he brings no intangibles
  • he is invisible on the forchek
  • he's not very fast
  • he is horrible in the defensive zone
he's a guy i like and hope the best for, but he is not a full time Leaf

Reactions: FishManSam

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leivo has not looked very good, sure he can put up the occasional point, but he brings no intangibles
  • he's not very fast

when did he become horrible in his own zone ?

the guys hasn't played in 2 months yet some people think he should just jump in and dominate with 8 mins a game on the 4th line

i have no idea why he wasn't moved , Babs does everything he can to f*** him and whatever type of player he may turn out to be ,it won't be here

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Kapanen being a better prospect and player doesn’t mean Leivo is garbage. I don’t think anyone would claim Leivo could drive a line on his own, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have utility on the ice.

Contextualizing his offense, playing limited usage on the 4th line alongside Martin is hardly a position to thrive for a complimentary player.

He usually gets some PP time when he gets in. Notice this is a guy many people point to a possible JVR replacement. It's comical to make the suggestion, but people do it on here.

He is what he is, a prototypical 5th line player. I'm sure he could crack the lineup on a really terrible team. But he's not good enough to be on our team night in night out. And his play this season has proven that.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
  • he's not very fast

True story

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How is it rediculous? Notice what happens. He gets a chance. Fails. Gets taken out because we have a lot of competition. A guy like Kap gets in the same spot and does something every night to get the attention of the coach. And he stays. This isn't house league hockey where everyone's kid gets equal time. It's the big time. Lievo hasn't been good. He's Frankie 2.0

This is ridiculous part 2. Cant' wait for the next installment. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PickleRick

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
might be overthinking it, might be very simple, he just doesnt skate good enough

if we lose jvr, bozak, and polak, i want to get faster players to replace them, i want an even better skating team and imo we among the faster ones in nhl already cause solid skaters like leivo with some talent cannot crack our lineup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think they keep him around because they might be losing JVR, Bozak, Plekanec, Moore in the offseason and you can't just replace them with 4 21 year olds.

Unless they go shopping. Would be expensive or UFA. Still expensive.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
  • he's not very fast

I'd agree with you on your points, but to me he looks like a guy who has lost his confidence and/or is rusty. Without being given some time to run with it, he simply isn't going to show very well. I think he ends up being a decent player somewhere else, but we've screwed up our chance of it being here.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He’s definately an nhl player.. it’s just we already have 3 guys better at his role then him. (offensive winger) jvr, nylander, and marner.
If we don’t resign jvr, or if we move nylander to center, we could potentially have a spot for him.
As far as his play.. he just lacks the foot speed to be as effective as we’d like him to be. He wins a lot of 50/50 battles.. the problem is they usually aren’t 50/50 cuz the other guy gets their first. There doesn’t seem to be enough room for him 5 on 5 because of this. It’s too tight checking. He’s got awesome vision though. And is very good on the powerplay.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I'd agree with you on your points, but to me he looks like a guy who has lost his confidence and/or is rusty. Without being given some time to run with it, he simply isn't going to show very well. I think he ends up being a decent player somewhere else, but we've screwed up our chance of it being here.
I agree with you 100%, he's a guy that would look great in a place like Vegas, or even Arizona. I can see him potting 20 goals a season for a small market team

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man if babcock plays moore over him than he really hates leivo's lack of great skating, just hope he gets more games in so we can get a longer look at him

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Kap drives the line and makes the line look good. Has nothing to do with Leivo. 3 points in 14 games. Not excellent.

Hard to use pts to put him down when Kappy only has 6pts in 23 gp.

I have Kappy well ahead on Leivo like most, but no one puts up big #s on the 4th line so not the best evidence to put Leivo down.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
man if babcock plays moore over him than he really hates leivo's lack of great skating, just hope he gets more games in so we can get a longer look at him

Not as simple as that. Pretty sure Babcock was more worried about a possible Nylander vs Barkov matchup.

If he truly has Moore ahead of Leivo, then we'll soon find out.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

Babcock won't allow it, instead we have to endure gud pros whose leash is 10x that of Leivo's and then when Leivo doesn't perform like Auston or Mitch in the few games he plays, we get to hear the Babcock riders "SEE, LOOK YOU LEIVO KNOBS, HE SUCKS!!!!"

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hard to use pts to put him down when Kappy only has 6pts in 23 gp.

I have Kappy well ahead on Leivo like most, but no one puts up big #s on the 4th line so not the best evidence to put Leivo down.

It is when he doesn't do anything.

Kap is able to drive play with his speed and he can kill penalties. Leivo is slow in a speed era and when he gets special team time he does nothing with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad