Confirmed with Link: Lehner and Legwand to BUF for 21st overall

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Lehner really strikes me as a boom or bust guy at this point. I expect one of the two teams to hate the trade in several years, but I have no idea who that will be.

The Bishop trade looks absolutely disastrous now.
If Sens got a first-rounder for Bishop instead of good ol' Corey Conacher, it wouldn't look bad at all. Bishop was fortunate to land on a good, fast-improving young team. Basically, he's good at being big, not a lot else.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Wow, this is a solid deal. Better than I expected Lehner would fetch, and shedding Legwand to boot. My sympathies to Lehner fans.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm happy. We needed to get Legwand off the books, and we really needed to fix the three-headed monster in net.

Makes me happy too. No more Sloooooow Legwand. I don't think Lehner has ever had the run that Hammond had last season. Plus O'Connor is a great prospect and the team still keeps its best goalie: Anderson. I like this trade.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa had to get rid of a goalie and I believe Bryan Murray got the best return he could get of the two goalies.

Tim Murray helped draft Lehner, who up until last year was the future franchise goalie. Tim know exactly who he got and paid the price for it. He doesn't need to draft a young goalie and invest in him in the farm system, he got a young goalie who until recently was one of the top goalie prospects in the world. There are rumours making their rounds on the web and radio that state that Lehner had some issues with key personnel within the Sens organization. One bad season where he was a backup under Paul McLean until Anderson got injured (before getting injured himself) cannot define the future of this 23 year old netminder. Lehner needed a change of scenery to be a regular starter.

I wish Lehner all the success. With a fresh start, it is possible for him get back into a trajectory where he becomes a career top-15 starter. Lehner is a big and talented young goalie, and was the reason why Bishop was not retained.

Besides getting the 21st overall pick, the shedding of Legwand's salary off the books of Eugene "Cheeeeeap" Melnyk was an outstanding move by uncle Bryan.

Risky move by nephew Murray which may or may not pay off big time.

I like the trade because it means we get a first round pick and shed Legwand. I wish Lehner good luck and I think he is still a good goaltender with very good potential to get better.

But praising Murray for getting rid of Legwand is incomplete as we could easily blame Murray for signing Legwand in the first place. So, Murray does not deserve all the credit being touted today on this board.

BigBush*

I like the trade because it means we get a first round pick and shed Legwand. I wish Lehner good luck and I think he is still a good goaltender with very good potential to get better.

But praising Murray for getting rid of Legwand is incomplete as we could easily blame Murray for signing Legwand in the first place. So, Murray does not deserve all the credit being touted today on this board.

I don't think Legwand is nearly as big of a deadweight as people think.

I think Buffalo actually value him as he's stop gap for a year and a vet.

He also wasn't nearly as bad in Ottawa as people think. He got pushed down as the year went on, but helped stabilize and push Zibby into the #2 role

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
Lest we forget that Brennan is an idiot and him hating this move, all but guarantees it's success.

So this means in four years, Lehner will be backing up in the Swiss League while Matt O'Connor will be winning his 2nd Vezina trophy.

Garbage pick.

I don't see how O'Connor can get 2 Vezina's when Hammond will be going for his 4th ? Carey who ?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think Legwand is nearly as big of a deadweight as people think.

I think Buffalo actually value him as he's stop gap for a year and a vet.

He also wasn't nearly as bad in Ottawa as people think. He got pushed down as the year went on, but helped stabilize and push Zibby into the #2 role

I did not like Legwand at the start of the season as he was too slow. My view is that Zibanejad played decently enough to push Legwand down the roster. I am still not entirely happy with Zibanejad as I think he needs more energy and drive. He seems passive and reactive rather than energetic and driving the play. I do hope he improves as he seems to have the tools.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Legwand will be a trade deadline deal next season & get Buff a late pick for the 2016 draft.

I agree he will likely be traded before the end of next season; however, I think he will not bring back a late first rounder. More likely a third rounder or less. We shall see. :)

I am happy that he is no longer a Senator as it will create a roster spot for a younger prospect to develop while also providing budget dollars to perhaps allow getting a better player via trade or free agent signing.

BigBush*

I did not like Legwand at the start of the season as he was too slow. My view is that Zibanejad played decently enough to push Legwand down the roster. I am still not entirely happy with Zibanejad as I think he needs more energy and drive. He seems passive and reactive rather than energetic and driving the play. I do hope he improves as he seems to have the tools.
Ya, I agree with your thoughts on Zibby.

I was more saying that if you gave Buffalo the option of throwing in Legwand or not in the trade, it wouldn't of surprised me if they would of taken Legwand for his vet presence

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ya, I agree with your thoughts on Zibby.

I was more saying that if you gave Buffalo the option of throwing in Legwand or not in the trade, it wouldn't of surprised me if they would of taken Legwand for his vet presence

From what I have read and observed from s distance, I think Legwand is a classy individual and does add a solid veteran presence, so that may be helpful to Buffalo.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
From what I have read and observed from s distance, I think Legwand is a classy individual and does add a solid veteran presence, so that may be helpful to Buffalo.

Legwand was beloved in the Sens room. The players loved having him around. Should have a large leadership role in Buffalo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree he will likely be traded before the end of next season; however, I think he will not bring back a late first rounder. More likely a third rounder or less. We shall see. :)

I am happy that he is no longer a Senator as it will create a roster spot for a younger prospect to develop while also providing budget dollars to perhaps allow getting a better player via trade or free agent signing.

I was thinking a 5th or later.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, with this trade the 2015-2016 lineup looks like this, pending any other trades or whatever's:

MacArthur - Turris- Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
Greening - Smith - Neil

Spare forwards: Puempel, Chiasson, and perhaps Condra

Our D will remain the same as last year:

Methot - Karlson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba

Spare D: Borowiecki, Phillips

Goal:
Anderson
Hammond

I am hoping for further changes to upgrade the 4th line and the defence.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
So, with this trade the 2015-2016 lineup looks like this, pending any other trades or whatever's:

MacArthur - Turris- Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar
Greening - Smith - Neil

Spare forwards: Puempel, Chiasson, and perhaps Condra

Our D will remain the same as last year:

Methot - Karlson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Cowen - Gryba

Spare D: Borowiecki, Phillips

Goal:
Anderson
Hammond

I am hoping for further changes to upgrade the 4th line and the defence.

Chiasson will play before Greening and Neil. If Condra is around, he will too. I don't know why you would think guys who barely played under Cameron take over from two regulars.

Ttracer*

Phillips and boro will get significant playing time next season. Boro for sure Phillips if he's healthy.

Pageau Lazar and Hoffman are all question marks, chiasson and condra are total beasts they will get the nod

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton
Phillips and boro will get significant playing time next season. Boro for sure Phillips if he's healthy.

Pageau Lazar and Hoffman are all question marks, chiasson and condra are total beasts they will get the nod

Did i just read this right or did i miss the sarcasm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad