Confirmed with Link: Lehner(72% retained), & Martins Dzierkals for 2nd, Subban, 5th, & Slava Demin

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
How many of the 18 games left do we expect him to play? And how many of them would Subban have won anyway? Subban was 9-4-1 in his last 14 starts.

The team needs to keep this guy or else we basically just threw away another 2nd round pick. Of course if we do keep him, we’re in great shape the next couple of years. Fleury gets less of a workload and we have a goalie we can trust in every game (unless there is an injury).

I’d be willing to deal someone to be able to pay this guy and keep him. Didn’t Karlsson take less money to stay in Vegas because of the favorable tax situation (which meant he really wasn’t getting paid less)?

9-4-1 with an .893 sv%. During that time he's faced noted juggernauts like Anaheim, twice, the sharks, the kings.

His last 5 starts he has allowed 4, 5, 3, 5, and 5 goals while in net. That is horrific.

Reactions: derriko

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
9-4-1 with an .893 sv%. During that time he's faced noted juggernauts like Anaheim, twice, the sharks, the kings.

His last 5 starts he has allowed 4, 5, 3, 5, and 5 goals while in net. That is horrific.

But 3 of his last 5 starts were wins. Put Lehner in those 5 games and how many wins does he get? I’d say 4 at the most. So that’s just 2 extra points in the standings.

And we’re talking about a stretch of games when Subban is at his worst and allowed 4.4 goals per game, which is much higher than his season average. And our defense was worse.

If we made this trade a couple of months earlier then it’s a different story and I’d be thrilled because Lehrer could help us out a lot more THIS season. But what could he really do in a month? Even Subban couldn’t do much to hurt this team in a month.

Last edited:

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Subban had 2 starts in January and 2 starts in February. With one month left you guys weren’t going to see much of him anyway.

The difference isn’t a lot less Subban or making a major jump in the standings. The only possible significant differences I see are Fleury getting more days off and being rested for the playoffs (hopefully he is sharp with that extra rest though), and we have a better backup if Fleury gets hurt.

But like I said before, find a way to keep Lehner beyond this season and now we’re talking.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

I’m not saying that you’re not making some good points. Lately when Subban has struggled we’ve been able to overcome that and get the 2 points anyway; the team has been good enough to overcome a struggling goalie.

That’s why I don’t think it’s as much of a need now (unless Fleury gets hurt). The 2017-2018 team was also able to win with Subban. He didn’t hurt them in the regular season. He hurts the team a lot more when the team is struggling.

Earlier in the season when the team was struggling and couldn’t win with Subban, Lehner would have helped a lot more IMO.

I do like the trade, but only really love it if the team holds on to Lehner.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I would hope we have a strict rotation for the rest of the season. Let the goalie who performs better start the first playoff game.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
-"If anything ever happened to Marc-Andre Fleury, we weren't strong enough to win playoff games." -McCrimmon

Have to say I agree with that. I think Subban can win REGULAR SEASON games with a hot team, but not many playoff games against a higher level of competition (on average). Although he did play better when he got more starts, but I wouldn’t want to see those starts in the playoffs.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
-"If anything ever happened to Marc-Andre Fleury, we weren't strong enough to win playoff games." -McCrimmon

Have to say I agree with that. I think Subban can win REGULAR SEASON games with a hot team, but not many playoff games against a higher level of competition (on average). Although he did play better when he got more starts, but I wouldn’t want to see those starts in the playoffs.

Yup it is an insurance policy for this postseason. That's pretty much all it is. Would love to see him resigned, but not sure I'd love who they would have to get rid of to make that happen. Hoping they can find a real answer at backup this offseason.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lehner has been the better goalie most of the past half decade than Fleury. If this isn't a number one battle, then management is doing something wrong.

They should split games evenly and go with whoever plays better for the playoffs. We need to re-sign Lehner as he will likely be the better goalie going forward starting next season.

They could trade Stastny and sign Haula to a 4M deal (he's been injured and traded twice and still only has 22 points he could possibly sign for less similar to Perron) and still have enough to give Lehner 5-5.5M which is possibly especially if they offer six seasons.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lehner has been the better goalie most of the past half decade than Fleury. If this isn't a number one battle, then management is doing something wrong.

They should split games evenly and go with whoever plays better for the playoffs. We need to re-sign Lehner as he will likely be the better goalie going forward starting next season.

They could trade Stastny and sign Haula to a 4M deal (he's been injured and traded twice and still only has 22 points he could possibly sign for less similar to Perron) and still have enough to give Lehner 5-5.5M which is possibly especially if they offer six seasons.
Depending on how they manage the upcoming RFA's and UFA's, and how much the cap raises with, we can afford to give Lehner 6M without making any additional roster changes.

Right now with the current cap we have 11M to spend on 5F, 1D, 1G, and any potential extras(with the AHL team moving to nearby the need for extras minimizes). Glass will take one F spot and has a 863k contract, so that makes it 10.13M in cap space for 4F1D1G.

We have these upcoming UFA's and RFA's this summer that could fill those spots alongside their current AAV's:

Reaves, 2.775M
Stephenson, 1.05M
Cousins, 1M
Nosek, 1M
Carrier, 725k
Merrill, 1.375M
Engelland, 700k
Lehner, 5M
Roy, 720k
Whitecloud, 925k
Sparks, 750k
Dansk, 675k

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Spending 13m on two goalies and not knowing which is the real #1? That's a total nightmare scenario.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Depending on how they manage the upcoming RFA's and UFA's, and how much the cap raises with, we can afford to give Lehner 6M without making any additional roster changes.

Right now with the current cap we have 11M to spend on 5F, 1D, 1G, and any potential extras(with the AHL team moving to nearby the need for extras minimizes). Glass will take one F spot and has a 863k contract, so that makes it 10.13M in cap space for 4F1D1G.

We have these upcoming UFA's and RFA's this summer that could fill those spots alongside their current AAV's:

Reaves, 2.775M
Stephenson, 1.05M
Cousins, 1M
Nosek, 1M
Carrier, 725k
Merrill, 1.375M
Engelland, 700k
Lehner, 5M
Roy, 720k
Whitecloud, 925k
Sparks, 750k
Dansk, 675k

As long as they re-sign him and keep the younger members of the core then I'm all for it. He probably beats Fleury for the starting spot at least next season.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
In fairness, Fleury's .908 didn't happen in a vacuum. VGK has been playing with defensive fire since Year 1, and it finally been burning them, last year and more so this year. I think bringing up Whitecloud and bringing in AM go a long way in remedying their defensive woes. Add to that Fleury hopefully coming out of his bereavement AND the added competitive pressure of a really good 1A/aB goalie tandem, and I'll bet you Fleury's numbers rise.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
In fairness, Fleury's .908 didn't happen in a vacuum. VGK has been playing with defensive fire since Year 1, and it finally been burning them, last year and more so this year. I think bringing up Whitecloud and bringing in AM go a long way in remedying their defensive woes. Add to that Fleury hopefully coming out of his bereavement AND the added competitive pressure of a really good 1A/aB goalie tandem, and I'll bet you Fleury's numbers rise.

I would say he has had the benefit being on better teams more often than Lehner and Lehner has still performed better more of the time. Especially this season.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I liked this post until I read you want to sign Haula... And you want to give him a raise? I really don't understand our fanbases' mancrush with him. I'm against bringing him back under any circumstances, but why would you give him $4M? His stats this year are terrible. He's still the same defensive black hole he's always been & he's not producing points close to the rate he did in his first season in Vegas. Nobody should offer him more than $2.5 AAV in the offseason...And if they do, good luck. The Knights have bigger issues to worry about than 3rd/4th line depth.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Even Subban couldn’t do much to hurt this team in a month.

"Hold my beer"

Seriously, though, he couldn't do much to hurt this team in a month because they wouldn't give him much opportunity to hurt the team. The other side of that coin is that Fleury was getting worked to death. Having a goalie they can trust to spell him is huge.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
"Hold my beer"

Seriously, though, he couldn't do much to hurt this team in a month because they wouldn't give him much opportunity to hurt the team. The other side of that coin is that Fleury was getting worked to death. Having a goalie they can trust to spell him is huge.

Fleury has been completely overused since joining the team, last year being the most egregious example when he was healthy all season. Had he not gotten hurt during the first season, I doubt he's fresh enough for them to make the run to the Finals. Hard to blame the coaches for wanting to give the team the best chance to win.

Bottom line is there's no reason to be playing an over 35 y/o goalie 60 games a year. 50/30 or 45/35 would be an ideal split moving forward. Not sure if they can afford to keep Lehner, but I wouldn't be opposed if they can make the numbers work. Too bad they resigned Holden, they could've used some of that cash for Lehner.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I liked this post until I read you want to sign Haula... And you want to give him a raise? I really don't understand our fanbases' mancrush with him. I'm against bringing him back under any circumstances, but why would you give him $4M? His stats this year are terrible. He's still the same defensive black hole he's always been & he's not producing points close to the rate he did in his first season in Vegas. Nobody should offer him more than $2.5 AAV in the offseason...And if they do, good luck. The Knights have bigger issues to worry about than 3rd/4th line depth.

I should say, I meant 4M as the upper limit of what they could spend on a 3C to make up for Glass moving up. I agree that we could probably pick up Haula for cheaper.

Looking at the roster, I think they could see a 3C who could score goals as their biggest need next season. We don't need defensive forwards, physical forwards, top sixers or goaltenders. We probably trust our young defensemen again to step into bottom pairing so I think getting more depth scoring becomes their priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad