Confirmed with Link: Leddy + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + 2nd 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Him on the third pairing and Mikkola back with Parayko is definitely a possibility as well. I didn't really understand why Scandella was back with Parayko, maybe that was just to try and preserve his value to see if we could get rid of him at the deadline. Just trying to tread water with ROR and Parayko matching up against the other teams top players and trying to beat teams with our depth could be an effective strategy.
That switch happened with Mikkola had some struggles. I don't think any of us have a good idea of who plays and who sits, but Mikkola probably needs to prove something to get back to playing more minutes.

Reactions: Blueston

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
That definitely false, and revisionist history, unless you are the type that lives and dies by corsi.

There are plenty of times a few years ago where his pairing was the go to one in critical situations for the Isles, including much of his time there when paired with Boychuk. And the Islanders certainly missed him once he was moved as a cap casualty. You can find plenty of analyses in which he was one of the reasons for their anemic season this year:

and many more.

From 5+ years ago? Sure, since then he has been pretty bad on the defensive end.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
From 5+ years ago? Sure, since then he has been pretty bad on the defensive end.

Like I said, your post is quite revisionist, and quite agenda laden.

Most of those articles were written after Leddy was moved from the Isles, and refer to how they missed him since his departure.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Like I said, your post is quite revisionist, and quite agenda laden.

Most of those articles were written after Leddy was moved from the Isles, and refer to how they missed him since his departure.

The only agenda I have is I have watched him play all season and everytime I see him behind our blue-line, I would get very nervous.

I'll go even a step further, he's one of the worst dmen I have ever witnessed behind the blue-line.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only agenda I have is I have watched him play all season and everytime I see him behind our blue-line, I would get very nervous.

I'll go even a step further, he's one of the worst dmen I have ever witnessed behind the blue-line.
Hasn't he also been paired with Hronek who also isn't good defensively?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Like I said, you either have never watched the Isles during that time period (I mean during his time on the Isles), or are trying to push your Wings' agenda.

I live in NYC, and see Isles' games on a semi-regular basis (It's actually a pass time with a few of my co-workers, who are actual Islanders fans). They are the team that's the easiest for me to go to, and are basically the team that I follow in the East.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Hasn't he also been paired with Hronek who also isn't good defensively?

He was paired with Seider for a good part of the season. Between Leddy's horrible defensive play and Nedeljkovic's beachball adventures, it's kind of a miracle that Seider is a -2 so far.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He was paired with Seider for a good part of the season. Between Leddy's horrible defensive play and Nedeljkovic's beachball adventures, it's kind of a miracle that Seider is a -2 so far.
Over 500 minutes with Hronek and about 250 with Seider. Leddy is what he is, but lets not act like he was in the best position to succeed in Detroit. If we put Leddy with Krug, I'd also expect that pairing to be a dumpster fire.

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Over 500 minutes with Hronek and about 250 with Seider. Leddy is what he is, but lets not act like he was in the best position to succeed in Detroit. If we put Leddy with Krug, I'd also expect that pairing to be a dumpster fire.
I mean, almost everyone expected Krug-Faulk to be a dumpster fire but they are holding their own most nights.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn’t call Sunny and Wallman no value. Leddy hasn’t actually been a world beater this year.
I'm sorry, you trade guy with minimal value and negative value (due to contract) and nothing else you should totally expect to get legit top pairing guy.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I also don't like how we have another smallish dman. It's not that size is everything, but it's also not nothing.

I don't some of my posts defending parts of the deal or parts of Leddy to mean I support it. I'm mostly just meh on it.
Krug (and Peru when he plays) are our only smallish defensemen. Faulk and Leddy are both at least 6' and over 200lbs.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Krug (and Peru when he plays) are our only smallish defensemen. Faulk and Leddy are both at least 6' and over 200lbs.
That's why I said smallish. 6' is about average, the thing I don't like about it is we lack reach, and that's something that really benefitted us on our 2019 run.

It's semantics for sure, but for me Krug and Perunovich are small, Leddy and Faulk are smallish if they aren't around guys that have good size.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, almost everyone expected Krug-Faulk to be a dumpster fire but they are holding their own most nights.
Sure, but Faulk is actually good defensively and always has been when used in a proper role on his proper side. Leddy and Hronek together was always a disaster because Leddy should be with more of a defensive guy, and Hronek has been in a role too big for him because Detroit has been such a disaster, and is also someone you want with more of a defensive guy.

Reactions: eibyyz and Blueston

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Well, it's a trade.....I think Leddy is a decent enough player - let's see how he works here before we completely write him off. Detroit has been a dumpster fire for the last 3 years, so let's get him away from all the sucking and see if he can transition the puck up the ice again.

Walman was going nowhere fast. He had enough chances to prove that he just doesn't think the game at this level. He's no loss at all. Sunny....we'll always have 2019, but the dude has been trash this year (Yes, I know he's coming back from major surgery)....but like, our window is now. We can't wait for him to come around and the fourth line has been a black hole this whole year. Are we a perfect team? Nope. Are we even in the top 10? Maybe not. But we're clearly a solid playoff team and we can match up with anyone if our forwards stop playing pond hockey and actually manage the puck (I'm looking at you Kyrou). Leddy isn't the long term answer, the long term answer is figuring out how to turn Krug and his 6.5M AAV into a better all around defender, allowing us to more balance our D assignments.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm not thrilled with this trade, especially losing the 2nd Rounder. But, I think Leddy will look better in this lineup than he did with The going-nowhere Wings. He should be able to help The Blues get the puck safely out of their own zone, and adding both Wikowski and him, give The Blues a little more depth in warm bodies and veteran defencemen, in case of spates of injuries or Covid lineup depletions. I really don't think those pluses are worth more than a 2nd Rounder plus even a hurt Sundqvist (although he'd likely have to be jettisoned this offseason, anyway) and Walman. But, we're stuck with the trade, so let's see how things play out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm sorry, you trade guy with minimal value and negative value (due to contract) and nothing else you should totally expect to get legit top pairing guy.

I guess I just don’t value Leddy that much

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Sure, but Faulk is actually good defensively and always has been when used in a proper role on his proper side. Leddy and Hronek together was always a disaster because Leddy should be with more of a defensive guy, and Hronek has been in a role too big for him because Detroit has been such a disaster, and is also someone you want with more of a defensive guy.
Oh I agree. Trust me, I fully and truthfully think Faulk is our best Defenseman. He can play with any other Defenseman on this team and still look good. Examples being Dunn, Scandella, Krug, Mikkola, and even Walman have looks better playing with Faulk than any other RHD on this team.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am not sure we got much better today and gave up a 2nd to do it.

Defensively we are not better unless Leddy channels something we haven’t seen from him outside a stretch with the Islanders.

On the breakout we got better. Passing in the offensive zone got better for our defensemen.

If the goal was to become a touch more offensively focused, then we did that.

We also lost some depth. I am not sweating losing Sunny or Walman. But, we do have one less forward and our 4th line hasn’t been very good this season.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Regardless of whether Leddy helps us this year, and I think he will, this trade was largely about clearing out Sunny's contract for next year. As DA said, he's not in our top 9 and we can't be paying 4th liners what he is making if we are going to be able to get players we need elsewhere. And everyone could see that he has no legs right now and maybe never again will. He really had negative value and we needed to move on.

We now have room to potentially resign Husso and also add legit top pairing D (if we send out Scandella) like Sanheim or Provorov or Chyrcrun. We have ability to do even more if we deal Tank. Still cap issues the following summer, but this trade leaves us much better off going forward. And that absolutely is worth a 2nd.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Regardless of whether Leddy helps us this year, and I think he will, this trade was largely about clearing out Sunny's contract for next year. As DA said, he's not in our top 9 and we can't be paying 4th liners what he is making if we are going to be able to get players we need elsewhere. And everyone could see that he has no legs right now and maybe never again will. He really had negative value and we needed to move on.

We now have room to potentially resign Husso and also add legit top pairing D (if we send out Scandella) like Sanheim or Provorov or Chyrcrun. We have ability to do even more if we deal Tank. Still cap issues the following summer, but this trade leaves us much better off going forward. And that absolutely is worth a 2nd.
I think this was really the biggest boon for the trade. Cap space

Reactions: Xerloris

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I am not sure we got much better today and gave up a 1st to do it.

Defensively we are not better unless Leddy channels something we haven’t seen from him outside a stretch with the Islanders.

On the breakout we got better. Passing in the offensive zone got better for our defensemen.

If the goal was to become a touch more offensively focused, then we did that.

We also lost some depth. I am not sweating losing Sunny or Walman. But, we do have one less forward and our 4th line hasn’t been very good this season.
A 2nd not a 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad