TSN: Lebrun on Canucks heading into the Trade Deadine...

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Yeah... lost me there.

I'm certainly not upset, but regardless of how the team is playing, I don't see how someone could be anything less than disappointed with how routinely Corrado is being squashed by any match-up.

I think the Canucks farm system has been so bad for so long that people now just have this ingrained idea that a prospect should look overwhelmed and awful when they show up in the NHL, when this is not really the case around the league.

I'm not saying Corrado is a bust. I'm just saying all the promise of his development has lost some of its shine. Nothing wrong with that, but I still think it's disappointing.

Severly dissapointed = upset to me.

The Canucks farm system has been through a lot, they lost one of the best AHL organizations when Winnipeg got the Jets back, and lost a lot of the control they had when they moved the affiliation to Chicago. Getting their own AHL team will help things though. They are moving in the right direction, although very slowly.

When you look at some of the older players the Canucks have called up, for the most part they have been more than adequate. A 20 year old first year pro thrown into a tire fire of a situation will look out of place most of the time.

All I'm saying is look at the bigger picture, focusing on Corrado's play without understanding the whole picture doesn't do anyone any good.

ImAnAfricanCanuck

Feb 6, 2014
Although I could see us participating in the trade deadline (as in making a big move and strengthening our weaknesses) I could just as likely see the canucks try and make a run at ROR this off season instead of trading for him, seeing as GMMG really tries to play it safe when it comes to trading away core members.

Personally i think we should trade Hamhuis and a depth prospect (like peter anderson) to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly and a 2nd rounder.

ROR is exactly what we need to keep our top 6 a threat in the league. I have no doubt that he and Kesler could form some ridiculous chemistry, and get both of them going, while it leaves Kassian a spot to move in with a playmaker and twoway forward (in ROR, and Kes).

O'Reilly is 22 years old, and has a contract that is fitting for a 22 year old whos already had a 50+ point season, and is on track to have another great season. Hes a durable two-way forward/playmaker, who predominantly plays center, but can just as easily slot in on the wing. Thats a huge upside for us as we can alternate with him and kesler on the wing and down the middle. He could even slot in on our first line with the Sedins, working along the boards and going to the front of the net, if burrows decides to not show up for a second straight season next year. A Downside to ROR is that he isnt the fastest skater, but I dont see that being a problem at all.

I cant say enough about ROR, and the importance to get him onto this team as soon as possible. He could be an achor on this team for years to come. It'll provide guys like Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, and Shinkurak with a great core to develope under, and if ROR stays with the team for a long time, it gives them a guy who they can learn under, and eventually play on the same lines with.

I think we should trade Hamhuis and not Edler. The main reason for that is that we want to get younger, and we dont want to get less physical. Hamhuis has started to show signs of rust, and with Hammer being chosen onto the Canadian Olympic Team, his value is as high as its ever going to get.

We can replace Hamhuis calm and cool stay-at-home defensive style with guys like Tanev, Stanton, and recently Diaz (who, despite an skewered opinion in MTL, is predominantly a good stay at home defenceman with a good outlet pass, unless the pass is to Lars Eller).

By keeping Edler we allow our defence to still have some toughness, grit, and offensive upside (despite his year to date). Trading him right now is stupid as his value is so low compared to previous years. I see Edler being paired with Diaz next year (assuming we re-sign Diaz) and forming some chemistry simular to what we saw with Erhoff and Edler in previous years.

We wont get Garrison to waive his NTC. Hes out of the conversation.

If need be, that I'm lowballing RORs trade value, I could see us adding a c+ prospect like Mallet, or Grenier (who I really dont want to loose as he seems like the kind of difference maker you can have on your 3rd and 4th lines in the playoffs).

I could see Hansen being shopped out for a 3rd line scorer, and a 3rd round rounder.

We will not, or at least should not trade away any of our youth. This is a re-tool, not a rebuild, so we dont need to trade away more than 1-2 pieces of our core.

Gillis likes to make his moves on the off-season though, which is all fun and games, but some people who are available during the season, are not during the off-season.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Although I could see us participating in the trade deadline (as in making a big move and strengthening our weaknesses) I could just as likely see the canucks try and make a run at ROR this off season instead of trading for him, seeing as GMMG really tries to play it safe when it comes to trading away core members.

Personally i think we should trade Hamhuis and a depth prospect (like peter anderson) to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly and a 2nd rounder.

ROR is exactly what we need to keep our top 6 a threat in the league. I have no doubt that he and Kesler could form some ridiculous chemistry, and get both of them going, while it leaves Kassian a spot to move in with a playmaker and twoway forward (in ROR, and Kes).

I was so excited about a fan from Africa until I read that :(

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, but regardless of what situation you're thrown into, having two of your AHL defenseman with the worst and fifth worst score close CF (I think that's what I was looking at) in the entire league is miserable.

Of course there are reasons for it, but it's hard to see that be overly confident in Corrado being a Top 6 defenseman next season. This is a player the Canucks felt confident enough with to play in the post-season last year.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm upset -- there's no emotion at play here. I just don't understand the mindset some Canucks fans have concerning prospects and constantly looking for a silver lining. He's getting shredded out there in the NHL and he's providing zero offense in the AHL. You'd expect a player that looked as good as Corrado did in post-draft development to have more of an impact in the AHL, even in his Age 20 season.

For a late-round pick, he'll still be excellent value, but he doesn't look like quite the epic steal he did as recently as a year ago. I always saw him as hopefully a Chris Tanev with offensive upside, but right now he doesn't look anywhere near as polished as Tanev did at the same age, and he hasn't shown much more propensity for offense, either.

I'm still hoping the Canucks can count on him as an inexpensive #6 D next year, but I sure want to see more from him before I'd be comfortable with that moving into the summer. Getting him away from Sauve would be a start...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Severly dissapointed = upset to me.

The Canucks farm system has been through a lot, they lost one of the best AHL organizations when Winnipeg got the Jets back, and lost a lot of the control they had when they moved the affiliation to Chicago. Getting their own AHL team will help things though. They are moving in the right direction, although very slowly.

When you look at some of the older players the Canucks have called up, for the most part they have been more than adequate. A 20 year old first year pro thrown into a tire fire of a situation will look out of place most of the time.

All I'm saying is look at the bigger picture, focusing on Corrado's play without understanding the whole picture doesn't do anyone any good.

The problem is also the Canucks drafting. Having a guy like David Perron would make a difference. You can argue Patrick White got us Ehrhoff, but we got Ehrhoff for scraps, so any player would have done the trade. Let's not pretend like White was the dealbreaker for San Jose; they just needed a cap dump.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Perron - Kesler - Kassian

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah, but regardless of what situation you're thrown into, having two of your AHL defenseman with the worst and fifth worst score close CF (I think that's what I was looking at) in the entire league is miserable.

Of course there are reasons for it, but it's hard to see that be overly confident in Corrado being a Top 6 defenseman next season. This is a player the Canucks felt confident enough with to play in the post-season last year.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm upset -- there's no emotion at play here. I just don't understand the mindset some Canucks fans have concerning prospects and constantly looking for a silver lining. He's getting shredded out there in the NHL and he's providing zero offense in the AHL. You'd expect a player that looked as good as Corrado did in post-draft development to have more of an impact in the AHL, even in his Age 20 season.

For a late-round pick, he'll still be excellent value, but he doesn't look like quite the epic steal he did as recently as a year ago. I always saw him as hopefully a Chris Tanev with offensive upside, but right now he doesn't look anywhere near as polished as Tanev did at the same age, and he hasn't shown much more propensity for offense, either.

I'm still hoping the Canucks can count on him as an inexpensive #6 D next year, but I sure want to see more from him before I'd be comfortable with that moving into the summer. Getting him away from Sauve would be a start...

Meh, sample size brah.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks bucko, I think most people would make the same conclusion I did when reading his earlier post stating his "Severe Dissapointment" about Corrado.

Fair enough. Anyway that was why I asked "who is upset" rather than "who is disappointed".. seems like Proto was expecting Corrado would be NHL ready by the time we called him up.

arsmaster*

Thanks bucko, I think most people would make the same conclusion I did when reading his earlier post stating his "Severe Dissapointment" about Corrado.

I'm still looking for the post that said "severe disappointment".

He's been a disappoint because of the expectations I had from his callup last season. He doesn't look like the same guy in Torts' system as he did in AV's.

I expected him to look solid, not unsure. I don't hate him, but I'm not giving him a pass either.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm still looking for the post that said "severe disappointment".

He's been a disappoint because of the expectations I had from his callup last season. He doesn't look like the same guy in Torts' system as he did in AV's.

I expected him to look solid, not unsure. I don't hate him, but I'm not giving him a pass either.

I was just speaking to their literal performances in the NHL this season.

Corardo hasn't looked like an NHL defenseman this year, though, which is severely disappointing.

Wasn't hard to find.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
I saw last night where all the worry about Sauve was coming from, on that third goal he seemed so lost. He could have made a simple play by putting it on the sideboards instead it got lost in his feet. That basically put the game away. He's not in the plans for the future.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I saw last night where all the worry about Sauve was coming from, on that third goal he seemed so lost. He could have made a simple play by putting it on the sideboards instead it got lost in his feet. That basically put the game away. He's not in the plans for the future.

Ya. It looks like he has some nice tools but he just had no idea where he needed to be.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
As for Corrado he hasn't looked great on this callup, but he isn't paired with a world beater. We also have to remember he is only 20 and a defenseman. They take their time, I think he needs another season in the ahl next year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
As for Corrado he hasn't looked great on this callup, but he isn't paired with a world beater. We also have to remember he is only 20 and a defenseman. They take their time, I think he needs another season in the ahl next year.

I'd rather play andrew alberts. All of corrado, weber, sauve can play in the AHL next season, they're rather ineffective at the NHL level.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I wonder what the odds are on Hansen being moved, since I believe he has a no trade that kicks in next year.

Given the rules in the new CBA, I'd be surprised if he didn't negotiate it to kick in immediately upon signing his extension. That said, it's only a partial NTC so he could still be traded without too much trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad