TSN: Lebrun on Canucks heading into the Trade Deadine...

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Additionally, why move him when his value is at its lowest? He may not be 30-goal-level when he's not riding with the Twins, but he's definitely better than he's been so far in this injury plagued, curse-ridden year.

Because his value may not actually be at its lowest?

Because the team may feel it is part of a needed culture change or restructuring of payroll allocation (as with a player like Raymond who was allowed to walk for nothing - speaking of "value at its lowest")?

Because the team needs to get younger and Burrows is the worst combination of oldest/least effective per cap dollar spent right now?

Not saying they should act on those things, but there are some pretty decent reasons to "sell low" on a player. If the Canucks think the most likely outcome for Burrows is three years as a drastically overpaid third liner (which we don't need, already having middle six wingers like Kassian, Higgins and Hansen), and if they can trade him for a younger, bigger, cheaper player who projects to play a similar role - but has little or no upside as a top six player - then I think that's a reasonable decision to make.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Anaheim fans were pretty content to go upwards of...

Silferberg/Etem
Devante Smith-Pelly
Sbisa/Allen
1st

Now that is probably a bit high, though Sbisa is mostly cap necessities. But even dropping the pick entirely, it's certainly has some appeal. If we were to go that route, I would try and include Bieksa for another up tier prospect. They supposedly need a RHD.

Based on the information available, Bieksa has a full NTC and unless he asks for a trade he won't be traded.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not if Monahan counts as a prospect.

As a fun mental exercise/IRL procrastination tactic, I decided to lay this out. Too lazy to look up Calgary's prospects, so I'm just going off my extensive :)sarcasm:) knowledge gleaned from Calgary sports radio:
(Also for funsies, I've matched them up as comparable where possible, so it's not necessarily what I consider the actual order the prospects should be ranked in)

Horvat < Monahan Can't deny it, he's a damn NHL player
Shinkaruk => Poirier If Hunter hadn't got hurt, this would be an easy win for us imo
Fox > Klimchuk Open for debate, but those goals
Gaunce >>>>>> Jankowski lol
Corrado vs Sieloff I don't know enough about Sieloff, but I don't think there's much of a ceiling there
Hutton vs Ramage Higher offensive ceiling for Ben
Subban or McEneny > that monster who plays for the Royals
Eriksson vs Gillies Hard to say based on different levels of competition, Gillies looks like he could be good

Couldn't think of a cute comparable for Johnny Hockey, but IMO his absolute ceiling is Nathan Gerbe (lazy comparison I know), and he's not half as jacked as Gerbe.

Obviously left out/forgot less notable guys from the Comets and Heat.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yann Sauve is the worst defenseman in the NHL right now.

Frank Corrado is probably about the 5th worst. Sad to see Corrado's progress has gone completely off the rails. The Canucks AHL system, man... hopefully Horvat never has to see a day down in that nightmare :laugh:

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary

Frank Corrado is probably about the 5th worst. Sad to see Corrado's progress has gone completely off the rails. The Canucks AHL system, man... hopefully Horvat never has to see a day down in that nightmare :laugh:

Never understood the Green hire. And baumgartner as the D coach is just ...blah!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Have you watched lots of AHL games? Or are you basing this on Corrado's play while being called up to the NHL when the team is in a downward spiral and playing with no confidence?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Have you watched lots of AHL games? Or are you basing this on Corrado's play while being called up to the NHL when the team is in a downward spiral and playing with no confidence?

And his partner is Yann Sauve. His AHL partner is literally better than his NHL partner.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I was just speaking to their literal performances in the NHL this season.

Corardo hasn't looked like an NHL defenseman this year, though, which is severely disappointing.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I was just speaking to their literal performances in the NHL this season.

Corardo hasn't looked like an NHL defenseman this year, though, which is severely disappointing.

In his first call up this season when the Canucks weren't in a death spiral he looked fine. Nothing special but he looked like he belonged.

Now during this 2nd call up, the team has been a tire fire. Evaluating Corrado based on this stretch when the whole team isn't playing well is just going to give you a skewed/incorrect idea on his development.

arsmaster*

In his first call up this season when the Canucks weren't in a death spiral he looked fine. Nothing special but he looked like he belonged.

No he didn't and I posted about it at that time as well, and I also brought it up on his recall.

He looks lost in his own zone, and he doesn't seem to be able to pick his spots very well.

Painful watching him on the play that lead to Paciocretty's 2nd PS.

edit* He also only played over 10minutes 1 time in his first recall

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Based on the information available, Bieksa has a full NTC and unless he asks for a trade he won't be traded.

Bieksa was rumored to be shopped just this past summer. It's best to take what GMs say publicly with a grain of salt. I personally do not think Bieksa or Kesler will be traded, but I don't doubt for a second Gillis is hearing offers on them.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
No he didn't and I posted about it at that time as well, and I also brought it up on his recall.

He looks lost in his own zone, and he doesn't seem to be able to pick his spots very well.

Painful watching him on the play that lead to Paciocretty's 2nd PS.

edit* He also only played over 10minutes 1 time in his first recall

He wasn't perfect but he didn't look as bad you made it out to be.

Betamax*

Bieksa was rumored to be shopped just this past summer. It's best to take what GMs say publicly with a grain of salt. I personally do not think Bieksa or Kesler will be traded, but I don't doubt for a second Gillis is hearing offers on them.

What was the source of these alleged rumors?

arsmaster*

He wasn't perfect but he didn't look as bad you made it out to be.

Of course not, he wasn't even trusted to play a regular shift.

Here is his icetimes for his first recall:
7:26
9:06
5:46
8:17
12:10
9:48

He didn't look good during these limited games (where we were a bit healthier as a team).

And he has looked flat out poor in his most recent recall, playing more minutes:
13:26
17:38
16:52
17:28

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Of course not, he wasn't even trusted to play a regular shift.

Here is his icetimes for his first recall:
7:26
9:06
5:46
8:17
12:10
9:48

He didn't look good during these limited games (where we were a bit healthier as a team).

And he has looked flat out poor in his most recent recall, playing more minutes:
13:26
17:38
16:52
17:28

Torts doesn't hand out ice time, you have to earn it. I'm not saying he was amazing, I'm saying he was servicable in his first call up and didn't look out of place.

The 2nd call up I'd take with a grain of salt considering the whole team has not played well for most of it.

Ryan Stanton had to earn his icetime as well.

Corrado is in his 1st full pro season, he's not going to be perfect and will look out of place at times as he learns the details of the pro game and the Canucks system.

Chris Tanev spend 2 seasons going up and down between the AHL and NHL, and played in the AHL last season during the lockout, before he solidified a spot in the top 6.

Getting all upset and dissapointed with a 20 year old's play in his first pro season when the team as a whole is not playing well is just stupid and ridiculous.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Good defenders take time to develop. There's a snag here with the Canucks off the rails and the Comets being...well turbulent, at best. If you're unhappy with development, look no further then Jensen, who was a huge promising talent last year, and has something like 10 points in 30+ games. It's not just Corrado.

That being said, I feel confident with our forward prospects, but would like a stud D prospect if we're unloading core players. This goes double if those core players included Bieksa or Edler.

Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows.

Edler, Hansen.

Luongo.

These are the sorts of packages I think would be attractive to other teams making a play off push.

I know Luongo won't make a huge splash, but given the teams lining up for UFA Miller, I think there is a market if a team near and dear to his heart wants to contend. If not, well I'm more then happy to keep him, he's been playing very well for us all season, minus a few games.

Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows would be a huge package for even cusp teams. If we move one, sentimentality drives me to want them all to move to the same destination.

Edler and Hansen is a standard top 4/top 2 defender and a replacement forward for the 2nd/3rd line (although he can play anywhere).

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Who is upset?

Yeah... he lost me there.

I'm certainly not upset, but regardless of how the team is playing, I don't see how someone could be anything less than disappointed with how routinely Corrado is being squashed by any match-up.

I think the Canucks farm system has been so bad for so long that people now just have this ingrained idea that a prospect should look overwhelmed and awful when they show up in the NHL, when this is not really the case around the league.

I'm not saying Corrado is a bust. I'm just saying all the promise of his development has lost some of its shine. Nothing wrong with that, but I still think it's disappointing.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
What was the source of these alleged rumors?

Botchford said he was told by someone in the Canucks that Bieksa was shopped after signing his contract with a NTC, and that he's been told the Canucks are able to trade "anyone" if they decide to.

I think it's more just a matter of what Gillis is willing to do. Or what Aqua man is able to convince him to do :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad