Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN 4-2: Hey Jets is there anything better than losing to the Leafs

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Based on the post-ASG schedule, I think they have the chance to go on a pretty good winning streak. I think they will use that stretch, and the games in hand, to move level with Florida and put space between them and Tampa/Detroit. Woll probably comes back at some point during the next 8 or 9 games.
How goals can change within a month…No more predictions on Leafs leading the division? Now it’s just reaching Florida?

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How goals can change within a month…No more predictions on Leafs leading the division? Now it’s just reaching Florida?
I mean, if you guys want to have an "I told you" circle-jerk, have at it. I clearly underestimated Boston's ability to maintain their regular season pace. Credit to them. As information changes, so too do opinions.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Kinda funny that they have 2 regulation points percentage metrics and I don’t agree with either of them. Shouldn’t this be a really easy metric to calculate:

= (RW*2) / ((RW+RL)*2)

By my calculation: 2-5 in Atlantic
FLA: .650 in 40 regulation games
TBL: .550 in 40 regulation games
TOR: .533 in 30 regulation games
DET: .526 in 38 regulation games

I have to assume they included 1 point for games that went to OT, but to me that doesn’t really make sense to do. If you want a regulation point percentage you should only look at regulation decisions imo
How does the 1 point not make sense? The one point is for being tied at the end of regulation. The gimmicks are tie breakers for an extra point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
nothing wrong with a heavy D imo............
1706479406613.png

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah I don't know why they are making something simple so complicated. I would have only one number for regulations PTS% and explain clearly how it's calculated.

I've been working since 8:30 so maybe I'm just tired but I don't quite understand the bolded. I would just say that just look at the first 60 minutes and at that point you either have won for 2 points, lost for 0 points or you go into OT (1 point) just like the good old days when there was nothing wrong with a game ending in a tie

I don’t think tie games should be counted in the equation. There is no result. Nobody won, nobody lost. It’s an incomplete game.

As for the bolded.
Regulation wins x 2 points
Divided by regulation wins + regulation losses x 2 points.

For example:
Leafs - 16 RW
Leafs - 14 RL
That means 30 games have been decided in regulation.

16 x 2 divided by 30 x 2

How does the 1 point not make sense? The one point is for being tied at the end of regulation. The gimmicks are tie breakers for an extra point.

There’s no result. I don’t think it should count. Tie doesn’t count as far as I see it. Those games aren’t over.

I suppose it’s passable if all the games are only being counted as worth 1 and not 2, but I still think it makes more sense to leave them out.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think tie games should be counted in the equation. There is no result. Nobody won, nobody lost. It’s an incomplete game.

As for the bolded.
Regulation wins x 2 points
Divided by regulation wins + regulation losses x 2 points.

For example:
Leafs - 16 RW
Leafs - 14 RL
That means 30 games have been decided in regulation.

16 x 2 divided by 30 x 2

There’s no result. I don’t think it should count. Tie doesn’t count as far as I see it. Those games aren’t over.

I suppose it’s passable if all the games are only being counted as worth 1 and not 2, but I still think it makes more sense to leave them out.
Ok. I was posting as far as the NHL is concerned. If you are creating your own scoring system, that is fine with me.

Reactions: Sypher04

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Ties are worth 2, they're just split between teams. Every game is worth 2 in that scenario.

You could argue every game in the first (w/l) situation are only worth 1 with the math you're using.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Ok. I was posting as far as the NHL is concerned. If you are creating your own scoring system, that is fine with me.

Does the nhl even have a standard? I’m not aware of them tracking regulation points percentage. Fwiw nobody was talking about it as a thing until our RW turned out to be lower than normal this season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Ties are worth 2, they're just split between teams. Every game is worth 2 in that scenario.

You could argue every game in the first (w/l) situation are only worth 1 with the math you're using.

Obviously I know that’s how the NHL counts them from a standings perspective, but if we’re creating a regulation points percentage metric (of which I’m not aware if the nhl has one) then I don’t personally think ties should be factored. The game lacks a definitive result, so I don’t thinking adding ties is worthwhile.

I admittedly am not sure what you’re going for with the second part tbh. Every game in my calculation is worth 2, that’s part of why I don’t want ties included personally.

Everything I’ve written here is about calculating a regulation point percentage metric, not determining standings. I suspect based on some of the replies I’ve received that perhaps that was lost in translation over the course of the posts?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Does the nhl even have a standard? I’m not aware of them tracking regulation points percentage. Fwiw nobody was talking about it as a thing until our RW turned out to be lower than normal this season.
That is true. The last I heard about this kind of thing is when the Islanders were being praised for so many games where they gained a point. I saw another poster post something from Hockey Reference, but I don't think the NHL does. Why would they? They created the current scoring system.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Regulation wins should be 3 points now. No way a gimmick OT or shootout win should be the same as a regulation time win
My first choice would be to do away with the gimmicks altogether but this would be my second choice. Having some games worth 2 points and others worth 3 is a sign of a mickey mouse league IMO.

Obviously I know that’s how the NHL counts them from a standings perspective, but if we’re creating a regulation points percentage metric (of which I’m not aware if the nhl has one) then I don’t personally think ties should be factored. The game lacks a definitive result, so I don’t thinking adding ties is worthwhile.

I admittedly am not sure what you’re going for with the second part tbh. Every game in my calculation is worth 2, that’s part of why I don’t want ties included personally.

Everything I’ve written here is about calculating a regulation point percentage metric, not determining standings. I suspect based on some of the replies I’ve received that perhaps that was lost in translation over the course of the posts?
To me, a tie is a definitive result. I grew up with ties, I never saw it as a problem and don't remember anyone else complaining about it either. The NHL did just fine with ties for what, 80 years or so before deciding the game needed gimmicks?

I'll never forget that video interview with that pompous pr!ck laying in his bed saying he is better than Matthews. Lololol
I liked that interview actually, nothing wrong with not saying yeah, that other guy is better, they should draft him over me. But yeah, didn't age well to say the least LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad