Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN 4-2: Hey Jets is there anything better than losing to the Leafs

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't think you're making much sense here. I mean even if OT was a full period, I suppose you could complain about it being gimmicky because it's not a full 60 minutes. See the bolded in the post below, that poster makes a 100% valid point.

Exactly.
The fact that there are different rules during the playoffs than the regular season, makes the whole thing suspect. I believe the playoffs should be played under the same rules as the regular season, whatever they may be. The game changes over time. Although in an ideal world they certainly should play full periods. So sad the boys would be so tired… lol

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I’d be fine with keeping 3 on 3 overtome, but getting rid of the shootout. The shootout really has no place in anything other than a skills competition.
Better than having a tie game. I would get rid of the loser point though. Win/OT/SO = 2, Loss = 0.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say nobody got the prediction game grand slam, I highly doubt anybody had 4-1 Leafs, Reaves and Benoit.

This is the type of win that could turn the season around, Winnipeg is a damn good team and to sweep them could start them on a big run.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The fact that there are different rules during the playoffs than the regular season, makes the whole thing suspect. I believe the playoffs should be played under the same rules as the regular season, whatever they may be. The game changes over time. Although in an ideal world they certainly should play full periods. So sad the boys would be so tired… lol
The rules were the same, before they introduced gimmicks.

Reactions: Buds17

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The rules were the same, before they introduced gimmicks.
Yep, there was no controversy then, well other than playoffs were always an unfair convoluted system where one team may advance after winning 4 games and another team had to play a gruelling 7 and then play the rested team but that’s fair. lol!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep, there was no controversy then, well other than playoffs were always an unfair convoluted system where one team may advance after winning 4 games and another team had to play a gruelling 7 and then play the rested team but that’s fair. lol!
Clinch your playoff spot early, get time to rest guys who need it and prepare for the playoffs. Clinch a series win early and again, your prize is to get some rest. That's the way it work in all NA pro sports, if you think it's unfair then why waste your time on it. Maybe you want to make the rules so that every series must go 7 games, not sure that's really a good idea though.

Seems like you're just trololololololing now TBH so I'll leave you to it. Cheers!

To me if you are having gimmicks to decide a game, than there needs to be more of an incentive to win in regulation. I like 3 points for a regulation win, so it offers more value than winning in some nonsense form of hockey.

I also like the idea of having the coaches fight and winner gets the extra point
So either we get a point, or Keefe gets a good smack. I like it!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Clinch your playoff spot early, get time to rest guys who need it and prepare for the playoffs. Clinch a series win early and again, your prize is to get some rest. That's the way it work in all NA pro sports, if you think it's unfair then why waste your time on it. Maybe you want to make the rules so that every series must go 7 games, not sure that's really a good idea though.

Seems like you're just trololololololing now TBH so I'll leave you to it. Cheers!

So either we get a point, or Keefe gets a good smack. I like it!
I don’t waste my time on it. I follow the regular season to the end. The end of season tournament I follow my team until it gets eliminated and then I don’t care.

Whatever the regular season rules are that’s what they should follow.

Thanks, have a good one.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Better than having a tie game. I would get rid of the loser point though. Win/OT/SO = 2, Loss = 0.
or 3-2-0. Regardless of when you lose, you get 0 points. Coming away with 0 points would for a would incentivize teams to push a little harder.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This is the type of win that could turn the season around, Winnipeg is a damn good team and to sweep them could start them on a big run.
I don't know about turning a season around, but I expect the Leafs will have a very strong record over the next 8 games because the quality of competition drops pretty significantly over that stretch (NYI, Philly, Anaheim, StL (2x)t, Ottawa, Arizona) before becoming more difficult again.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
or 3-2-0. Regardless of when you lose, you get 0 points. Coming away with 0 points would for a would incentivize teams to push a little harder.
If the rules are the same for everybody there is no problem. I don’t have a problem with the regular season. Every team plays the same number of games, every game is scored the same way for everybody.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t waste my time on it. I follow the regular season to the end. The end of season tournament I follow my team until it gets eliminated and then I don’t care.

Whatever the regular season rules are that’s what they should follow.

Thanks, have a good one.
You’re not the only one which is why this is the NHL’s biggest problem. It’s such a regional sport that its biggest market and largest fan base hasn’t watch the playoffs in the past 20 yrs.
If the owners were rigging the outcomes this would not happen.

Reactions: Confucius

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No Leafs hockey for a week :cry:

giphy.gif
More of a chance to talk about Dubas and Lou :sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the rules are the same for everybody there is no problem. I don’t have a problem with the regular season. Every team plays the same number of games, every game is scored the same way for everybody.
It would incentives teams to avoid OT.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
To me if you are having gimmicks to decide a game, than there needs to be more of an incentive to win in regulation. I like 3 points for a regulation win, so it offers more value than winning in some nonsense form of hockey.

I also like the idea of having the coaches fight and winner gets the extra point

I like the idea of 3 point regulation wins because it equalizes the value of all games. Instead of some being worth 2 and some being worth 3. And as others have said it incentivizes teams to play for the win and not the OT. The NHL will seemingly never go for it though

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't know about turning a season around, but I expect the Leafs will have a very strong record over the next 8 games because the quality of competition drops pretty significantly over that stretch (NYI, Philly, Anaheim, StL (2x)t, Ottawa, Arizona) before becoming more difficult again.
They need 16 points in the 12 games in February. Only 2 games( Philly NYI) are against teams they are competing with for a playoff position.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They need 16 points in the 12 games in February. Only 2 games( Philly NYI) are against teams they are competing with for a playoff position.
I don't think the Islanders are competing with anyone for a playoff spot. They are sinking like a stone and will likely move some of their UFAs. As for the Leafs, I think they can use this stretch to catch up to Florida and put some distance between themselves and Tampa/Detroit. I'm not sure there will be much playoff intrigue in the Eastern conference this season. I think the only question will be whether New Jersey or Pittsburgh catch the Flyers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs have a great schedule coming up for the next eight games.

Islanders, Stars, Senators, Blues, Flyers, Ducks, Blues, Coyotes.

Only one team ahead of us in the standings, They really need to have some success in this stretch and put some points on the board.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think the Islanders are competing with anyone for a playoff spot. They are sinking like a stone and will likely move some of their UFAs. As for the Leafs, I think they can use this stretch to catch up to Florida and put some distance between themselves and Tampa/Detroit. I'm not sure there will be much playoff intrigue in the Eastern conference this season. I think the only question will be whether New Jersey or Pittsburgh catch the Flyers.
The teams are pretty well set, but an untimely injury could knock a team out. 2 Atlantic teams are jockeying for Carolina, and Detroit is happy to be back.

Long way to go, but if we get a Florida TB series all is well, especially if it’s the Eastern final.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Care to elaborate on what you mean by the "watch paint dry" comment? You don't believe there can be an entertaining game that ends in a tie ?
It changes the game-play in the 3rd period, where teams are playing to just collect 1 point, rather than win. I much prefer the current system. One could go a step further an eliminate the loser point altogether - and just award 2 points for a win Reg/OT/SO. With 0 points for a loss.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My first choice would be to do away with the gimmicks altogether but this would be my second choice. Having some games worth 2 points and others worth 3 is a sign of a mickey mouse league IMO.

To me, a tie is a definitive result. I grew up with ties, I never saw it as a problem and don't remember anyone else complaining about it either. The NHL did just fine with ties for what, 80 years or so before deciding the game needed gimmicks?

I liked that interview actually, nothing wrong with not saying yeah, that other guy is better, they should draft him over me. But yeah, didn't age well to say the least LOL.
I’d be estatic if they went back to the old way where a tie game results in one point for each team, this OT/shootout crap may entertain the kids, but it’s not hockey to a purist…….

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It changes the game-play in the 3rd period and OT, where teams are playing to just collect 1 point, rather than win. I much prefer the current system. One could go a step further an eliminate the loser point altogether - and just award 2 points for a win Reg/OT/SO. With 0 points for a loss.
I do t think there is a perfect solution but currently if a game is tied in the 3rd the last few minutes both teams are looking to get it into overtime so they collect a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad