Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN 4-2: Hey Jets is there anything better than losing to the Leafs

horner

May 22, 2007
Iam really happy for Sammy keep strong
Revo good game
Bertuzzi no luck
Mathews keeps scoring.

The fist period defensive play yuk lots of turnovers all our players need to buy in defensively.

Ljiligren seems to get knocked of the puck alot.
Is it Keefe system ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My takeaway from watching Winnipeg back to back is they have a rock solid system but the parts are as unimpressive as they look on paper. They play a very efficient system game and can stifle an opponent every night, repeatable recipe. But they lack gamebreakers and that will be their demise however far they get in the playoffs.

Thoroughly surprised the Leafs took 4/4 points and Sammy's resurgence, that was unexpected to say the least.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No Leafs hockey for a week :cry:

giphy.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Great road effort by the whole team to finish on a positive going into the break.

If Samsonov has truly gotten over the hump, that would be significant for us in the second half of the season.
And it seems like only yesterday when I thought Sammy had played his last game as a Maple Leaf. Now if you told me that he will be our starter for game 1 of the playoffs, I'd be like yeah, I could see that happening.

It's a cliche but ... goalies are voodoo and now I'm convinced of that more than ever.

This might be the funniest thing. You can't even reply what about playoffs. We have more playoffs series wins since this moment.
We have more series wins than some other team over any period of time over the last 20 years? That's amazing, I never would have guessed. :)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And it seems like only yesterday when I thought Sammy had played his last game as a Maple Leaf. Now if you told me that he will be our starter for game 1 of the playoffs, I'd be like yeah, I could see that happening.

It's a cliche but ... goalies are voodoo and now I'm convinced of that more than ever.

We have more series wins than some other team over any period of time over the last 20 years? That's amazing, I never would have guessed. :)
Come on, you know I was talking about since that moment. What does 20 years have to do with this?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I look at Hockey Reference for pretty much everything.

I am confused by the fact that they have 2 columns for regulation.
1 - RPt% which if you hover over it is described as "Points percentage counting no points for OT loss, and any shootout game as a tie. i.e. pre-2000 situation".
2 - RgPt% which is described as "Points percentage in regulation time only".
These sound the same, but they're not and it's not clear to me what the difference is. I hate these gimmicks for a number of reasons, and this sort of confusion is one of them.

View attachment 812189

Kinda funny that they have 2 regulation points percentage metrics and I don’t agree with either of them. Shouldn’t this be a really easy metric to calculate:

= (RW*2) / ((RW+RL)*2)

By my calculation: 2-5 in Atlantic
FLA: .650 in 40 regulation games
TBL: .550 in 40 regulation games
TOR: .533 in 30 regulation games
DET: .526 in 38 regulation games

I have to assume they included 1 point for games that went to OT, but to me that doesn’t really make sense to do. If you want a regulation point percentage you should only look at regulation decisions imo

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Come on, you know I was talking about since that moment. What does 20 years have to do with this?
My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Chill.
Kinda funny that they have 2 regulation points percentage metrics and I don’t agree with either of them. Shouldn’t this be a really easy metric to calculate:

= (RW*2) / ((RW+RL)*2)

By my calculation: 2-5 in Atlantic
FLA: .650 in 40 regulation games
TBL: .550 in 40 regulation games
TOR: .533 in 30 regulation games
DET: .526 in 38 regulation games

I have to assume they included 1 point for games that went to OT, but to me that doesn’t really make sense to do. If you want a regulation point percentage you should only look at regulation decisions imo
Yeah I don't know why they are making something simple so complicated. I would have only one number for regulations PTS% and explain clearly how it's calculated.

I've been working since 8:30 so maybe I'm just tired but I don't quite understand the bolded. I would just say that just look at the first 60 minutes and at that point you either have won for 2 points, lost for 0 points or you go into OT (1 point) just like the good old days when there was nothing wrong with a game ending in a tie

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I think he perfectly demonstrates that when you don't have anything of substance to offer, talk loud in the hope it may help your credibility. How did Corrado get the gig in the first place?
He checks enough boxes for TSN.

Former NHL player
Former Leafs player
From Woodbridge
Young and in shape
Willing to speak his mind and act the part
Won't overshadow the big dogs

I'm not a fan either but I can see why he got the gig.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I personally always look at it by point percentage. As far as I’m concerned we are 3rd in the Atlantic.
Typically, but they have the had around the least number of Ws of the 16 playoff teams so that percentage is meaningless.

If they make the playoffs they want to try their luck with Carolina.

If they were to win, great, if not, it’s a better tune up for the Worlds Championships:cool:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Benoit just continues to impress as well. A couple more "think again" hits, also showed some offence acumen a few times. If the puck goes into the boards, a Leaf leaves with it, almost every time. Room to grow, he may top out as an effective shutdown 4 D man.
He’s in for a raise whether it be from the Leafs or another team……….

As they say, it takes longer for defensemen.
Realistically, that's because of young, inexperienced defensemen can be exposed, while young inexperienced forwards can be sheltered, supported by 2 line-mates.

Benoit - 170 games
Liljegren - 178 games
Timmins - 94 games
Lagesson - 81 games

Lagesson will be 28 soon, but I've liked the few games where he's straddled the line from clean to dirty. I doubt he's in their plans, but neither should Giordano or Brodie be in their plans, although perhaps Brodie on a extremely friendly deal, playing lower in the line-up.

If Benoit continues to develop, this could be a home-run player.
How anyone can want more of Brodie is beyond me, I say good riddance on locker clear out day……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My takeaway from watching Winnipeg back to back is they have a rock solid system but the parts are as unimpressive as they look on paper. They play a very efficient system game and can stifle an opponent every night, repeatable recipe. But they lack gamebreakers and that will be their demise however far they get in the playoffs.

Thoroughly surprised the Leafs took 4/4 points and Sammy's resurgence, that was unexpected to say the least.
Missing one of their best offensive threats………

Reactions: ULF_55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Jets looked like the 3rd place team they are in their division, not like the one that was first a couple of weeks ago. They suck without Schiefele. Leafs tighten up when they are missing Matty.

Refs blew the Bertuzzi goal and I thought calling a penalty to put the Jets down 5 on 3 After Tavares leans on and breaks his stick was amateur hour. Just when you thought you'd seen it all. Then Benoit scores his first goal as a Leaf with a 185 footer.

Looks like last year's Sammy is back. Now if we could get first half Willie back.
What I thought was wrong on the Bertuzzi goal (that nobody on the panel seems to have noticed) was that the original call was because the puck was kicked in by JT. As soon as the review showed that it was actually shot in by Bert, it should have been called a goal. Interference was not the reason for the initial call, so it should not have been a factor in the final decision. My opinion.

The penalty call on the broken stick looked like JT was yelling at the ref that his stick was broken, and didn't have to push it very hard to prove it. Usually the slashing call is only made if the stick breaks or is knocked out of your hand (I don't necessarily agree, but that's the standard). "He broke it - see" was enough to force the call. I can't blame Winnipeg for being upset, as I can imagine this board if it had happened the other way, especially as the winning goal was scored on the 5-on-3.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Typically, but they have the had around the least number of Ws of the 16 playoff teams so that percentage is meaningless.

If they make the playoffs they want to try their luck with Carolina.

If they were to win, great, if not, it’s a better tune up for the Worlds Championships:cool:
The don't have many W's, but that's balanced by the fact that they don't have many L's. The final standings are done by PTS% so that percentage is anything but meaningless.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He’s in for a raise whether it be from the Leafs or another team……….

How anyone can want more of Brodie is beyond me, I say good riddance on locker clear out day……….
Yeah, Brodie's money pays for Benoit (RFA Arb) and Liljegren, and Timmins is still under contract.

Hopefully, the staff can unearth another uncut gem.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I look at Hockey Reference for pretty much everything.

I am confused by the fact that they have 2 columns for regulation.
1 - RPt% which if you hover over it is described as "Points percentage counting no points for OT loss, and any shootout game as a tie. i.e. pre-2000 situation".
2 - RgPt% which is described as "Points percentage in regulation time only".
These sound the same, but they're not and it's not clear to me what the difference is. I hate these gimmicks for a number of reasons, and this sort of confusion is one of them.

View attachment 812189
Looks like in #1 an OT loss counts as 0 and in #2 it counts as 1 (a tie ).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The don't have many W's, but that's balanced by the fact that they don't have many L's. The final standings are done by PTS% so that percentage is anything but meaningless.
Right now it really isn’t a big deal. It will be at the end of the season when they have a method to fill out the field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad