Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens-Split Squad- 1 PM and 7 PM

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think he makes the team somewhere.
It looked like he and Nylander had some chemistry and Dubas will be looking for a win with this player.

I don't think Dubas is married to any specific player, he ships players out quickly if he made a mistake (hate it or love it), so not sure why he'd see the need to keep Malgin around if it isn't working. Having said that, Malgin is a very skilled player and definitely NHL level, so hopefully he can make the team and help out, but he needs to be on a scoring line, so if that spot works, then let him play, I think he gets judged too harshly because of the Marchment trade, but he can definitely be a top 9 scorer

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think Dubas is married to any specific player, he ships players out quickly if he made a mistake (hate it or love it), so not sure why he'd see the need to keep Malgin around if it isn't working.
No matter how many times Dubas quickly cuts bait with guys he added, even if they were relatively expensive adds, posters here will always slyly accuse of him playing favorites at the expense of icing the best lineup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think Dubas is married to any specific player, he ships players out quickly if he made a mistake (hate it or love it), so not sure why he'd see the need to keep Malgin around if it isn't working. Having said that, Malgin is a very skilled player and definitely NHL level, so hopefully he can make the team and help out, but he needs to be on a scoring line, so if that spot works, then let him play, I think he gets judged too harshly because of the Marchment trade, but he can definitely be a top 9 scorer
Obviously he won’t be kept around if it isn’t working but he will get a little more rope then others. It’s naive to think managers aren’t attached to players, they all are.

Reactions: IPS and CanadasTeam

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Obviously he won’t be kept around if it isn’t working but he will get a little more rope then others. It’s naive to think managers aren’t attached to players, they all are.

It's naive to think all managers are the same. I hear complaints about own rentals and moving picks to get rid of players that don't work, that doesn't sound like a manager who is attached to players on his team or that he signs, it sounds like someone who does what's best for his team.

Campbell (Soo player, so super attached) was acquired by Dubas and we let him go because we didn't want to pay basically what we are paying our current starter.

Mrazek was let go after a season, Ritchie even less, and those are players he acquired, also you'd think Dubas would have signed Marchment this year if he was so worried about optics, that immediately fixes the "mistake" he would have both players.

He will be given a chance because he is obviously the best player we currently have who is on the bubble.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's naive to think all managers are the same. I hear complaints about own rentals and moving picks to get rid of players that don't work, that doesn't sound like a manager who is attached to players on his team or that he signs, it sounds like someone who does what's best for his team.

Campbell (Soo player, so super attached) was acquired by Dubas and we let him go because we didn't want to pay basically what we are paying our current starter.

Mrazek was let go after a season, Ritchie even less, and those are players he acquired, also you'd think Dubas would have signed Marchment this year if he was so worried about optics, that immediately fixes the "mistake" he would have both players.

He will be given a chance because he is obviously the best player we currently have who is on the bubble.
If you want to believe that biases don’t exist knock yourself out. You won’t find many who’ll agree with you.
Is that the case with Malgin? I don’t know it’s an opinion.

Reactions: IPS

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Too many players, not enough spots. He will likely get a chance in the next game.
If I'm not misremembering this happened last year where Douglas was on a lot of lists but then never saw the ice. Makes me think hes further from the show in mgmt eyes then we'd like. Hopefully we get to see him play.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I really hope they didn’t draft another goat with Minten. He’s bigger than I thought but yeah, getting goat vibes.

And while I was pleased with a lot of the players, ZAR was invisible he needs to show some urgency

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If I'm not misremembering this happened last year where Douglas was on a lot of lists but then never saw the ice. Makes me think hes further from the show in mgmt eyes then we'd like. Hopefully we get to see him play.

He will get a chance, but he is not a serious contender for an NHL job this year anyways.

The Marlies start their preseason on October 7th. I would not be surprised if the Leafs have the majority of their cuts completed by then. I would expect Douglas to be among them.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I really hope they didn’t draft another goat with Minten. He’s bigger than I thought but yeah, getting goat vibes.

And while I was pleased with a lot of the players, ZAR was invisible he needs to show some urgency
The Goat was a bit of a unicorn in that his foot speed and offense barely improved from draft day. Also not a mean bone in his body. Fraser may fail but it won't be like Freddy. His D+1 will be a much safer barometer than his first camp.

Reactions: Gallagbi

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

What do you mean by goat? I know of two meanings and neither seems to apply.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Good points IMO. The only thing I sometimes worry about is his promise not to trade Nylander. But then again, teams don't often trade players that talented so perhaps not too big a deal. Still, I hate that he made such a promise in principle, I can only hope he doesn't feel bound by it.

If you want to believe that biases don’t exist knock yourself out. You won’t find many who’ll agree with you.
Is that the case with Malgin? I don’t know it’s an opinion.
He didn't say biases "don't exist", he presented some facts that seem to suggest that biases aren't cause for concern for Leaf Fans.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula and kb

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Good points IMO. The only thing I sometimes worry about is his promise not to trade Nylander. But then again, teams don't often trade players that talented so perhaps not too big a deal. Still, I hate that he made such a promise in principle, I can only hope he doesn't feel bound by it.

The only thing I will say to this is that I believe Dubas would have a conversation with Nylander and tell him he wants to move him and he'd do a trade that is good for the team and Nylander is okay with. Also not 100% sure what the conversation was between them, I thought he told him he won't move him after signing him, not he won't ever move him.

I also think we lose almost any trade involving Nylander.

Who knows about this, but Dubas looks out for his players and his team, I don't think he'd refuse to move Nylander, he'd just do it respectfully, hate it or love it, I think that the way Dubas treats his players helps with free agent signings, especially from other leagues.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only thing I will say to this is that I believe Dubas would have a conversation with Nylander and tell him he wants to move him and he'd do a trade that is good for the team and Nylander is okay with. Also not 100% sure what the conversation was between them, I thought he told him he won't move him after signing him, not he won't ever move him.

I also think we lose almost any trade involving Nylander.

Who knows about this, but Dubas looks out for his players and his team, I don't think he'd refuse to move Nylander, he'd just do it respectfully, hate it or love it, I think that the way Dubas treats his players helps with free agent signings, especially from other leagues.
I heard Dubas interviewed on the radio I think it was the day after it happened and from what I heard, it was pretty clear that he made the promise to not trade him as long as he's the GM (meaning future contracts as well) which is just nuts. It sounded to me like he made the promise, realized he shouldn't have done it, hated to admit it and didn't want to talk about it but couldn't deny it either, at least that was my impression from the interview, the way the question was phrased and the way he answered it.

Anyhow, other than that promise and overpaying Marner, I think Dubas has done well with contracts and the way he treats players is excellent and a substantial benefit to the organization and like you say, helps attract free agents. Really hope we break through this season and Dubas signs an extension, despite our playoff failures I still think he's done more good than bad and will only improve with time.

Reactions: notbias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad