Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens-Split Squad- 1 PM and 7 PM

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I thought Villeneuve continued his showing of how composed and steady he can be but his skating was a bit exposed in this game speed wise. Still liked what I saw but he’ll have to improve on that. I was watching some highlights of Jarnkrok’s past goals and the two he scored tonight are his bread and butter, 80% of his goals were that exact shot😂.
Benn wasn’t that encouraging as a 7th d option and I think Mete showed better in that regard.
Fun to have hockey back even though it’s just preseason and the vets look like they just want it over with. Although Bunting arguing for the icing negation so adamantly was quite amusing.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Matthews and Rielly were dogshit (especially Matthews). Understandable because of preseason but still needs to be said.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like we will have a deep scoring top 9 with a shutdown 4th line.

Bunting Matthews Marner
________ Tavares Nylander
Engvall Kerfoot Jarnkrok
ZAR Kampf NAK
Clifford

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Alright boys Mikey is here to set everyone straight. I've been letting you guys run with the takes all summer, but now things are getting serious and the truth must prevail. So we're not actually in hot take mode right now, you guys are currently in an ELEVATED state where you become super homers that think we have a bunch of unicorns on the team that are going to all outperform and have career years... a state I like to call shit takes. Now having been an HF veteran for many years I did not expect anything different on day 1 of preseason games, so I'm here on queue to deliver the truth:

1) Jarnkrok ain't scoring 40 get the homers back in the seats... No it wasn't the "sutter style" holding him back..... he's a 15-20 goal guy, get your expectations in check for once jesus christ. He's a good grit grinder guy but hes going to be closer to a kerfoot than a bunting

2)I think all the people who talked shit about the samsonov signing in the original thread should be publicly banned from jumping on the band wagon when this guy breaks out. Lets be honest here, 90% of the people who talked shit on that thread knew nothing about him besides the fact that he was a 1st round pick and did a quick google on hockeydb to see his stats from last year... pathetic. This guy has an extreme amount of talent and size. There have been a countless number of goalies who didn't work out on their draft or even draft + 1 teams, its completely normal and expected. Most of them dont start rounding out until they are 25-28, its just a statistical fact. FYI because I know you guys don't know this, Jack Campbells stats were even worse than samsonov's the year before he came to toronto. So quit with the BS and give the kid a chance.

3)I actually think our D lowkey sucks. I have a feeling that muzz is past his prime and is only going to give us like 40-50 games this year, lily is going to be starting on the backfoot without camp, how many minutes can gio really give us also? Then we're relying on just Mo/brodie/hall for all the big mins? IDK man, it feels like we're a little too comfortable with this d core right now and I'm definitely sus of it. If we're really going to rely on guys like mete to round out the d core we're in deep shit.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Alright boys Mikey is here to set everyone straight. I've been letting you guys run with the takes all summer, but now things are getting serious and the truth must prevail. So we're not actually in hot take mode right now, you guys are currently in an ELEVATED state where you become super homers that think we have a bunch of unicorns on the team that are going to all outperform and have career years... a state I like to call shit takes. Now having been an HF veteran for many years I did not expect anything different on day 1 of preseason games, so I'm here on queue to deliver the truth:

1) Jarnkrok ain't scoring 40 get the homers back in the seats... No it wasn't the "sutter style" holding him back..... he's a 15-20 goal guy, get your expectations in check for once jesus christ. He's a good grit grinder guy but hes going to be closer to a kerfoot than a bunting

2)I think all the people who talked shit about the samsonov signing in the original thread should be publicly banned from jumping on the band wagon when this guy breaks out. Lets be honest here, 90% of the people who talked shit on that thread knew nothing about him besides the fact that he was a 1st round pick and did a quick google on hockeydb to see his stats from last year... pathetic. This guy has an extreme amount of talent and size. There have been a countless number of goalies who didn't work out on their draft or even draft + 1 teams, its completely normal and expected. Most of them dont start rounding out until they are 25-28, its just a statistical fact. FYI because I know you guys don't know this, Jack Campbells stats were even worse than samsonov's the year before he came to toronto. So quit with the BS and give the kid a chance.

3)I actually think our D lowkey sucks. I have a feeling that muzz is past his prime and is only going to give us like 40-50 games this year, lily is going to be starting on the backfoot without camp, how many minutes can gio really give us also? Then we're relying on just Mo/brodie/hall for all the big mins? IDK man, it feels like we're a little too comfortable with this d core right now and I'm definitely sus of it. If we're really going to rely on guys like mete to round out the d core we're in deep shit.
Missed you buddy. Welcome back!

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So we lost tonight. What goalie let in all the goals

Samsonov actually looked really good although he had limited work. Let in 0 goals.

Expected a more athletic, less calm/positional goalie, but he looked both athletic and good positionally.

Really interested to see how he looks this season, there is definitely potential.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Overall observations from both games:

-Marner,Nylander, and Matthews are ready
-Holmberg could steal a spot
-Watch for Samsonov to become 1a
-Jarnkrok is going to be a great two way player

Everyone else, it’s the first preseason game. Too early to make conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthrax442

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Don't make the mistake of writing off Robertson too early. He's at that stage where he can start popping off any time. I think he's a lot closer than most think to having things figured out out there.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Ya, nothing like an elevated state of hot takes. You provided 3 excellent examples.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Nylander current front runner for the Hart

Holl current front runner for the Norris.

Everyone else was either good or bad.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Keith Petruzzelli really hurt his chances of earning a full time spot with the Marlies.

For most guyys these games don't matter, but for him they do.

For a guy like Petruzzelli, who is trying to take the next step and become a Marlie next season he can't do what he did last night, he cannot come into the 3rd period with the team up 2-0 and allow 3 goals to lose the game, not if you are fighting for a job at the next level.

At the end of the day it doesn't mean anything in the standings I just don't think he did himself any favours by not locking that game down.

You know who did do themselves favours yesterday? ZAR, Steeves, Mcmahon, Jarnkork.

I think Simmonds qnd Clifford are in trouble and they were good especially Simmonds but you got Steeves scoring twice, you got ZAR hitting everything that moves, you got Mcmahon generating several chances Simmonds and Clifford are in a dog fight for their careers.

Jarnkork Matthews Bunting looked really good.

Marner Matthews Bunting is going to be the line baring injury we all know that.

But watching the way Jarnkork played with Matthews and wonder could we see this?

Marner Matthews Bunting

Jarnkork Tavares Nylander

I originally had Jarnkork at 3rd line RW with Engvall and Kampf and that probably still the line long term but his performance last night did make me wonder if it could work.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Sorry if previously explained, but why didn't Douglas play today? I had understood that he was supposed to participate in the second game.

I was really looking forward to seeing him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Keith Petruzzelli really hurt his chances of earning a full time spot with the Marlies.

For most guyys these games don't matter, but for him they do.

For a guy like Petruzzelli, who is trying to take the next step and become a Marlie next season he can't do what he did last night, he cannot come into the 3rd period with the team up 2-0 and allow 3 goals to lose the game, not if you are fighting for a job at the next level.

At the end of the day it doesn't mean anything in the standings I just don't think he did himself any favours by not locking that game down.

You know who did do themselves favours yesterday? ZAR, Steeves, Mcmahon, Jarnkork.

I think Simmonds qnd Clifford are in trouble and they were good especially Simmonds but you got Steeves scoring twice, you got ZAR hitting everything that moves, you got Mcmahon generating several chances Simmonds and Clifford are in a dog fight for their careers.

Jarnkork Matthews Bunting looked really good.

Marner Matthews Bunting is going to be the line baring injury we all know that.

But watching the way Jarnkork played with Matthews and wonder could we see this?

Marner Matthews Bunting

Jarnkork Tavares Nylander

I originally had Jarnkork at 3rd line RW with Engvall and Kampf and that probably still the line long term but his performance last night did make me wonder if it could work.

I think the team knows they were asking a lot of Petruzzelli. He comes in cold and the defense just totally collapses in front of him.

He has had his struggles, especially in the ECHL playoffs, but he would have to totally implode to not be given a job with the Marlies this year... and that implosion would likely come in Marlies camp.

He was good in the prospects tournament too, so I don't think one NHL preseason period is going to hurt him too much.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I didn’t see the first game, but watched the second.

Samsonov looked solid. Dude had a sky high ceiling so lets hope that potential is still there. Liked how he looked.

Excited to see Murray on Wednesday.

Jarnkrok looks like the player from Seattle and Nashville, not Calgary, which is good news for us.

I liked what I saw from NAK.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I know it's pre-season. I know it's just 2 games. I just hate seeing them let that 3rd period get away from them (especially against OTT).They only came to life once the 3rd goal was scored, and by then it was too late. Plus they didn't have enough skill on that squad to muster a 6 on 5 with the goalie pulled. Yeah some poor defending and bad goaltending hurt them at the end, but to me Keefe doesn't seem to be in midseason form.

Last edited:
Reactions: geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille