Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens-Split Squad- 1 PM and 7 PM

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm, right here watching and following my Leafs.
Everything you’ve presented is spot on, cold analysis. That doesn’t equate to hoping for failure. I know I’ll be cheering on “if” and “maybe” all year, we have a shot.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Everything you’ve presented is spot on, cold analysis. That doesn’t equate to hoping for failure. I know I’ll be cheering on “if” and “maybe” all year, we have a shot.
It's definitely spot on if you manipulate sample sizes to fit your narrative, ignore all context, and ignore all the obvious and blatant misrepresentations.

Other than that, sure.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Even though Samsonov is coming off a poor year statistically 44 games 23 wins with a .896 sv% 3.02 GAA and GSAx of -12.1, and cut loose by Washington as a unqualified RFA, apparently that is not valid reason for concern in net, like you or I might have as a result of taking on a risky gamble, & not believing it automatically moves us closer to a Cup.

However facing 16 shots playing 2 periods in a split squad exhibition game is enough for some to feel vindicated, they were right, and goaltending will be fine, and even earned me as a doubting Thomas a call out. :wg:

That settles it then.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Pleasantly surprised by;
Minten he just went out and played a quiet and positionally sound game. Getting some time on the kill and handling it like he's been in the league for a few years. He's obviously 2 or 3 years away and if he keeps developing from where he is currently, I think they might have themselves an elite 3c.

Samsonov as steady as rain, and didn't back into the net when the Senators pushed the puck down low and scrambled in the crease.

The hyphen guys are all good candidates for the bottom 6 and should be better than last year's edition on both sides of the puck. They all look like they skate better and should score a few more goals

Malgin, he was all over the puck, he was back first when he was supposed to be and won his battles, I'm still not sold on a top 6 role for him, but he should certainly get a real look with both Will and JT and then who knows?

Sandin shouldn't be worried about his position. Other than the regulars that played yesterday none of the Marlies look like they would play ahead of him, although Kral had some decent shifts.

The Stutzle goal shouldn't have happened, Holl was picked at the top of the face off circle enough so that interference should have been called!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
My man Denis M
Will he make the second line?
This shrimp has some skills
The problem with Malgin on the second line is the worry I'd have with their defence. Tavares is pretty responsible, but I'm not sure Nylander is always focussed enough to make up for Malgin's deficiencies. Having said that, I'd love to give it a try for a few games in preseason and see how it goes. The kid has some skills. The other alternative for some in here is Robertson, but he's not the greatest two way player either. Based on yesterday's game he still has problems staying on his feet after contact.

Reactions: ACC1224

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Don’t play again until Wednesday, so have to talk about first impressions of candidates at least. I temper these based on one game.

Malgin is showing a lot more than last time. Just one game and Nylander was on fire, so he may have elevated the play of both Malgin and Holmberg. Holmberg was still impressive playing a hard position.

While Gaudette looked energetic and trying really hard, that Tavares line needs a smart cycle player and Gaudette missed some opportunities to do simple tap or bump passes to open areas where Tavares or Marner were heading and needs to be more physical.

All 4th line candidates all looked good. Simmonds did look to have more jump too. A big part of me wants to move on from him and Clifford, but he showed he still has the ability to change momentum of the game with a good shift.

Benn didn’t show anything more than any other Marlie D for me. Failed to box out that Sen player who crashed the crease looking for a rebound, or jump into the Melee and engage instead of letting Bunting do it, and that’s what he is supposed to do.

Mete was Ok his skating not standing out at all. Got filled in in his corner, he can be overwhelmed physically.

Steeves you can say got lucky with a deflection and empty net goal, but he was in the right areas for those to happen.

Samsonov looked great. In position, calm athletic when he had to be. He’s going to like playing in front of a good defensive system that Keefe has put in place.

Krall was the only Marlies d that stood it to me, just a stable game, I love his board work in his own zone

Järnkrok looks like he will chip in some offense, has a great shot, can’t fluke two of those in a row, knew where to stand to receive a pass, Smart player nearly had a hat trick if not for a post.

Robertson still looks the same to me, those attempted curl and drags looked desperate to me. Maybe too nervous about showing his scoring touch. Looked a little better physically than last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phion Keneuf

horner

May 22, 2007
My take on the 2 games.
We have lots of depth better than last yr .
Samsonov looked very steady.
Margin has really good chemistry with Nylander
Jamcrock he can play, great signing.
Simmons looks ready to go.
Nylander looks really good .
Mathews and marner are ready for another big yr.
Robertson looks stronger but I would like to give him some more time in the minors..
Mete looked good
Minton already has the 200ft game down , going to be a very good player.
Holmberg looked really good and bigger than I thought he would be.
McMann looked really good he is going to be a really good defensive player.

Sandin might want to sign and get in this lineup

kb

Aug 28, 2009
My take on the 2 games.
We have lots of depth better than last yr .
Samsonov looked very steady.
Margin has really good chemistry with Nylander
Jamcrock he can play, great signing.
Simmons looks ready to go.
Nylander looks really good .
Mathews and marner are ready for another big yr.
Robertson looks stronger but I would like to give him some more time in the minors..
Mete looked good
Minton already has the 200ft game down , going to be a very good player.
Holmberg looked really good and bigger than I thought he would be.
McMann looked really good he is going to be a really good defensive player.

Sandin might want to sign and get in this lineup
Good synopsis.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Don’t play again until Wednesday, so have to talk about first impressions of candidates at least. I temper these based on one game.

Malgin is showing a lot more than last time. Just one game and Nylander was on fire, so he may have elevated the play of both Malgin and Holmberg. Holmberg was still impressive playing a hard position.

While Gaudette looked energetic and trying really hard, that Tavares line needs a smart cycle player and Gaudette missed some opportunities to do simple tap or bump passes to open areas where Tavares or Marner were heading and needs to be more physical.

All 4th line candidates all looked good. Simmonds did look to have more jump too. A big part of me wants to move on from him and Clifford, but he showed he still has the ability to change momentum of the game with a good shift.

Benn didn’t show anything more than any other Marlie D for me. Failed to box out that Sen player who crashed the crease looking for a rebound, or jump into the Melee and engage instead of letting Bunting do it, and that’s what he is supposed to do.

Mete was Ok his skating not standing out at all. Got filled in in his corner, he can be overwhelmed physically.

Steeves you can say got lucky with a deflection and empty net goal, but he was in the right areas for those to happen.

Samsonov looked great. In position, calm athletic when he had to be. He’s going to like playing in front of a good defensive system that Keefe has put in place.

Krall was the only Marlies d that stood it to me, just a stable game, I love his board work in his own zone

Järnkrok looks like he will chip in some offense, has a great shot, can’t fluke two of those in a row, knew where to stand to receive a pass, Smart player nearly had a hat trick if not for a post.

Robertson still looks the same to me, those attempted curl and drags looked desperate to me. Maybe too nervous about showing his scoring touch. Looked a little better physically than last year.
Your analaysis
It's quite good! I saw the same
Sign me up for more

Reactions: crump

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Agreed, for the most part that's what I saw.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

You forgot to mention the coaching.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What did you guys think of Jordie Benn? I didn't pay much attention to him but noticed him on a couple of plays during transition where his skills looked a little more polished than I was expecting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Biggest thing from game 2 for me was Bunting reminding me that he's legit really really good and skilled. He looked great.

Pretty interesting to see Simmonds and Clifford looking pretty darn good right off the bat. They don't look like guys who are drifting off into the sunset.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Even though Samsonov is coming off a poor year statistically 44 games 23 wins with a .896 sv% 3.02 GAA and GSAx of -12.1, and cut loose by Washington as a unqualified RFA, apparently that is not valid reason for concern in net, like you or I might have as a result of taking on a risky gamble, & not believing it automatically moves us closer to a Cup.

However facing 16 shots playing 2 periods in a split squad exhibition game is enough for some to feel vindicated, they were right, and goaltending will be fine, and even earned me as a doubting Thomas a call out. :wg:

That settles it then.

You thought bunting would be a 13F last season because he was a 26 year old unproven rookie. Just a bit of context as too why it’s way too soon to be writing players off.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I will add that Malgin looked like that a lot in the times I saw him play in the Olympics/NLA/WC. He is talented in his own right, but obviously playing with Nylander makes it that much easier for him. He should be given a long look in the NHL... The only question is whether we will be the team that gives him that look.

I thought Mete was fairly good. Obviously there will be physical limitations with any 5'9" defenseman, and that popped up a few times in the game, but he used his skating very well to cover for Benn, who seriously struggled. He did so on his off-side too. You can do a lot worse for a #8 defenseman who will hopefully be able to clear waivers.

Kral clearly still needs his last full waiver exempt year in the AHL, but he looks like he could be a better call up option than anyone else we have on that left side right now besides Mete. I thought Dahlstrom was fine too, but I am holding out more hope for the younger guy with more upside. Kral may end up being our #9 over Dahlstrom and Benn by the end of training camp.

Dubas better be watching the waiver-wire and PTO guys like Dronov, Stralman, De Haan, etc. to temporarily fill out our 5/6/7 holes though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hopefully with the new found depth they can dump Engvall for a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad