Series Talk: Leafs Vs Lightning- Thunderstruck

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I feel the team is less confident overall when Holl is playing, and Liljegren should be slotted in.

The 2 goals that Holl was on were pivotal and involved the beginning of the onslot by TB in game 3, and the first goal in game 4, was the beginning of the meltdown in game 4.

Lyubushkin provides some sandpaper and toughness on the backend, but it is either Lyubushkin or Holl that is the 6th defenseman at this point.
Lyubushkin is playing higher than he should but he provides an element the Leafs desperately lack, which is why Keefe never scratches him. Keefe learned early in the season that the D is horribly soft and they need another guy like Muzzin to be in there with the absence of Bogosian.

They finally decided to make Holl the #7 late in the season and the D never looked better but now they brought him back and it looks like shit again.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
chrome_screenshot_1652182657143.png

Obviously Leafs are at the top because they are a team that is full of goons compared to every other team.

Also if you don't believe in game management notice how almost every series the two teams playing each other have similar penalty minutes. Other than Colorado series where they dominated the Preds. 16 minutes difference.

Of course Leafs are way dirtier than all these teams and even Tampa. 21 more penalty minutes than Tampa.... lol... okay.

Because Maroon and Perry do nothing wrong. Hell even Kucherov is a f***ing dirty player.

horner

May 22, 2007
You hear Morgan and mathews talk they say we aren't worried but the fans are.
I would like to hear that we completely sucked the last game something . Z,

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
View attachment 543818
Obviously Leafs are at the top because they are a team that is full of goons compared to every other team.

Also if you don't believe in game management notice how almost every series the two teams playing each other have similar penalty minutes. Other than Colorado series where they dominated the Preds. 16 minutes difference.

Of course Leafs are way dirtier than all these teams and even Tampa. 21 more penalty minutes than Tampa.... lol... okay.

Because Maroon and Perry do nothing wrong. Hell even Kucherov is a f***ing dirty player.
An hour an a half more than Pittsburgh is quite funny.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
View attachment 543818

Leafs have been running teams over all season with their dirty goon play, about time the league started to get this under control.

someone could die if the Leafs aren't stopped.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
View attachment 543818

Bah, nothing to see here. The Leafs only average HALF THE f***ING GAME in the penalty box...

Edit: So I went and got their season totals out. The Leafs finished with 702 PIM's in 82 games, which results in an average of 8.5 penalty minutes per game.

Their playoff total so far? 112 PIM's in 4 games, which would be an average of 28 penalty minutes per game.

Can anyone actually look at that with a straight face and say there's nothing wrong here?

I mean, Tampa's totals were 11 PIM's/game in the regular season and 22 PIM's/game in the playoffs, which is also kind of ridiculous, but not to the extremes the Leafs' totals are currently sitting. We're averaging a WHOLE PERIOD of extra penalty time in the playoffs...

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sunday nights Leafs looked a hellofa lot like the Game 5 through 7 Montreal series Leafs. That's not taking anything away from the defending cup champs but man we just didn't show up. How can a team win 5-0 and lose 7-3 in a one week period to the same team? Usually by now series tend to show who will be the winner, this one? Who the heck knows, you sure as heck can't base your opinion off the previous game ...

I was disappointed we didn't go with a heavier lineup. In a playoff series, if you only ice skill type players and if you are losing your only option is to chase that game. If you got a heavy team, you can at least ground and pound, so the other team is hurting going into the next game. As stupid as the 5 min for Cliffy was in Game 1, I would have benched Spez put in Cliffy.

The Leafs dont look like a team that is playing to win a series, they look like a team that may or may not be focused on a singular game.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
View attachment 543818

We can thank our dummy Head Coach for that, he set the tone, refs / the League reads that it's going to be a free for all goon fest and they

1) Ignore it, nothing to see here, carry on ...
2) Set the tone by calling a lot of PIM's to send a message that violence will not be tolerated?

No we are not goons by any stretch but yes we (Keefe) are the reason why we are getting so many PIM's. BTW we are deserving of 99% of the calls against us. Other teams , not in this series, are doing the same stuff and not getting called because their Coach didn't send a memo to the League that hey we are gonna goon up this series because the other team is gonna goon up the series.

Keefe might be a good coach but the shit that comes out of his mouth sometimes ... I shake my head...

Can we just fire Keefe and hire Trotz, now that Trotz is unemployed?

Rocky Flintstone

Apr 20, 2022
Sunday nights Leafs looked a hellofa lot like the Game 5 through 7 Montreal series Leafs. That's not taking anything away from the defending cup champs but man we just didn't show up. How can a team win 5-0 and lose 7-3 in a one week period to the same team? Usually by now series tend to show who will be the winner, this one? Who the heck knows, you sure as heck can't base your opinion off the previous game ...

I was disappointed we didn't go with a heavier lineup. In a playoff series, if you only ice skill type players and if you are losing your only option is to chase that game. If you got a heavy team, you can at least ground and pound, so the other team is hurting going into the next game. As stupid as the 5 min for Cliffy was in Game 1, I would have benched Spez put in Cliffy.

The Leafs dont look like a team that is playing to win a series, they look like a team that may or may not be focused on a singular game.
Seems to be a lot of back and forth in lopsided scores in lots of series this year. Scoring is up in general this year, so that in theory doesn't surprise me. Usually teams tighten up in the playoffs, but the nhl may have finally gotten what they wanted and made the game consistently higher scoring, post season or otherwise.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Seems to be a lot of back and forth in lopsided scores in lots of series this year. Scoring is up in general this year, so that in theory doesn't surprise me. Usually teams tighten up in the playoffs, but the nhl may have finally gotten what they wanted and made the game consistently higher scoring, post season or otherwise.

You could be right, every series is tied at 2 except for Colorado/Nas (4-0) and Pits/NYR (3-1). I honestly have no read on this series. Exactly two series have gone the way I expected, the rest, total surprise.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Lyubushkin is playing higher than he should but he provides an element the Leafs desperately lack, which is why Keefe never scratches him. Keefe learned early in the season that the D is horribly soft and they need another guy like Muzzin to be in there with the absence of Bogosian.

They finally decided to make Holl the #7 late in the season and the D never looked better but now they brought him back and it looks like shit again.
The issue is that both Lyubushkin and Holl are in the lineup. If we want to win, we need our best defensive pairings. We can't have both our #6 and #7 in the lineup at the same time.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs get called for the most penalties because we commit the most stick infractions.

You wanna know why? Because all we try to do is Poke-check, stick check and poke check. Did I mention Poke Check?

If this team knew how to actually implement Physicality into our game plan and play the body more, we wouldn't commit as many stick infractions.

Unfortunately, this coaching/management staff doesn't have a single clue when it comes to Physicality in the playoffs

Reactions: TMLife17

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Bah, nothing to see here. The Leafs only average HALF THE f***ING GAME in the penalty box...

Edit: So I went and got their season totals out. The Leafs finished with 702 PIM's in 82 games, which results in an average of 8.5 penalty minutes per game.

Their playoff total so far? 112 PIM's in 4 games, which would be an average of 28 penalty minutes per game.

Can anyone actually look at that with a straight face and say there's nothing wrong here?

I mean, Tampa's totals were 11 PIM's/game in the regular season and 22 PIM's/game in the playoffs, which is also kind of ridiculous, but not to the extremes the Leafs' totals are currently sitting. We're averaging a WHOLE PERIOD of extra penalty time in the playoffs...
The Leafs somehow became the most undisciplined team in the league come playoff time and can't have any physicality in their lineup or else they'll apparently spend even more time in the box.

And people are seriously f***ing ok with this.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Leafs get called for the most penalties because we commit the most stick infractions.

You wanna know why? Because all we try to do is Poke-check, stick check and poke check. Did I mention Poke Check?

If this team knew how to actually implement Physicality into our game plan and play the body more, we wouldn't commit as many stick infractions.

Unfortunately, this coaching/management staff doesn't have a single clue when it comes to Physicality in the playoffs
Funny how this doesn't happen in the regular season, where the refs are MORE likely to call stick infractions...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

LOL .. never thought of it that way, we are 2 minutes shy of spending half of every game in the box. Most of that time there have been offsetting PIM's. Bay Street Bullies?

To be more accurate we have been short handed 38:40 min to TB 31:04 , 23 times short handed to Tampa's 18 times.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bunting Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Kerfoot
Nylander Kampf Engvall
Sandin Blackwell Liljegren (Might as well)

Rielly Lyubushkin
Muzzin Brodie
Giordano Holl

• Haha
Reactions: BayStBullies

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Sigh….. still lining up on all of their wrong sides on the PP, then not able to get any shots off. Somethjng that simple you would think would be easily corrected by coaching.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
FUUUCK boys.

Those are both saveable shots though. We need to turn this around IMMEDIATELY, IMO Keefe should have pulled Soup after the 2nd there. I love Campbell, but he’s prone to cold steaks, he was bad in game 4 and isn’t off to a good start tonight, give Kallgren a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad