Series Talk: Leafs Vs Lightning- Thunderstruck

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It is cliche, but Toronto's best players will have to be their best players. Matthews. Marner, Reilly, Brodie, Campbell all have to come up big. Tavares & Willy have to have a few good nights. The bottom 6 will have to chip in.

The blue line, just be solid, cool it a bit on carrying it deep into Tampa's zone, shadow Kucherov. The team has to stay out of the penalty box and the Leafs PP needs to have a good series.

A tough, tough opponent to start off with but they are absolutely beatable. And if the Leafs go down early, or get a series lead and let the Bolts back into it, and/or find themselves in a game 7 - no matter how it gets there - they can't let negativity or the enormous pressure overwhelm them.

No sports shrinks or therapy required, to a man they have to just want it more than their opponents, then go out there prove it.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Yeah I give Tampa an edge as well but we'll see...There is better balance on this team this season.

The only way Leafs can beat Tampa for sure is to do what Columbus did years ago...Being extremely aggressive and getting in their faces(every line has to do it), not giving them space(especially their skilled guys). They are still primarily a skill team(even though few guys can play other ways). If i see space given and not being aggressive enough i won't even bother watching after as im fairly certain it's another early exit.
You're going to watch every game.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I chose Lightening in 6. This is the one team I didn't want. That being said lets make me eat crow and do the damn thing!

The danger only lies in any false belief the Leafs have in trying to win games 5-4.. They need to be persistent, physical and sacrifice on both ends of the ice. Also, their special teams have to be superior.

If they do this, and develop a deep hatred for them, they can and will beat the Lightning.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON

🧹 Broom Gang

win.jpg

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
will be quick series if brayden point continues his ugly play. dunno what is wrong with him at the moment

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Head says Tampa in 7 but my heart says Leafs in 7. I hope i'm wrong and this team finally gives us something to be proud of. Please just don't embarrass us again. Campbell really has to stand on his head in this series to give us a chance.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
will be quick series if brayden point continues his ugly play. dunno what is wrong with him at the moment
Point played yesterday and rested today in back to a back games.

Point will sit for the final game of the 2021-22 regular season. He tallied 28 goals and 58 points while averaging 19:28 of ice time through 66 games.

He should be good to go for Game 1 of the first round.

Point lead the playoffs in goals the past 2 seasons scoring 14 goals in both Cup wins.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We can talk about depth and goaltending all we want but we go as far as Matthews and Marner take us.

They have to channel the pain they have felt of losing in a positive way and show up and be the best two forwards of this series.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Point played yesterday and rested today in back to a back games.

Point will sit for the final game of the 2021-22 regular season. He tallied 28 goals and 58 points while averaging 19:28 of ice time through 66 games.

He should be good to go for Game 1 of the first round.

Point lead the playoffs in goals the past 2 seasons scoring 14 goals in both Cup wins.
Yes but this season specifically he does not look good. There is no guarantee he will be good in playoffs every year of his career. It is very possible he carries this play into the playoffs. He sucked in the Habs series too

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs should aim for the sweep. Each shift with a purpose. Engaged, physical and north/south with speed. Team focused, pack mentality that keeps T.B on their back feet.

Review the tapes of what CBJ did to them in that epic sweep/upset in 2019. This team may be different, but they have many of the same key players.

Shutdown, stifling hockey ftw with a more lethal offense than CBJ had puts this series in the Leafs favour. They know what it takes.
If it were that easy, Tampa wouldn't be 8/8 in playoff series since that sweep.

You can't change the way you play your game. They just have to play their game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
LMAO ya. The fans were WILD in those games.

The lengths at which this schtick goes are something.
He is 100% invested in seeing this team lose. Not even a question about it anymore.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We didn’t have a packed barn for any of those games though. This is new territory.
True in fact we played all 5 games against CBJ at home at ACC with no fans.

But as far as home ice record goes in the past 2 playoffs we lost Game #1 and Game #5 by shutouts to CBJ

Against Montreal we lost Games #1, Game #5 and Game #7 at home.

Home ice has not been kind to the Leafs the past 2 playoffs,

Lets hope this changes. :crossfing

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1