Series Talk: Leafs Vs Lightning- Thunderstruck

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If it were that easy, Tampa wouldn't be 8/8 in playoff series since that sweep.

You can't change the way you play your game. They just have to play their game.

You can refine it though in such a way that you can replicate the results. Just as T.B refined theirs to win the Cup a year later.

The difference this year will (should) be that "the book" on the Leafs is no longer valid. They are willing to hit and be engaged and they have Lybushkin, Gio, Clifford and Simmomds among others. Our stars are hitting more, paying attention to defense and getting engaged physically since the deadline. Tbis is a sysmic shift and it contributed to Lightnings losses AND wins.

It will be the difference in this series if Leafs are to win I assure you.

Reactions: Optimist and Pi

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
I was caught
In the middle of a railroad track (thunder)
I looked 'round
And I knew there was no turning back (thunder)
My mind raced
And I thought, what could I do? (Thunder)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you (thunder)
Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart
You've been
Thunderstruck

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
One thing worth mentioning is that Tavares played 0.5 playoff games last year. Yes we choked a series we should have won even without him but this team isn't the same. Not offensively or defensively.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Tampa gonna bring the grit and physicality. All their star players are lowkey dirty. Cirelli, Pointe and Kucherov.

This is really gonna physically test us. Gotta be ready

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Rosters from best to worst:

View attachment 538062

With current projected healthy lines and pairs:

View attachment 538064

I know you don’t makes these but Kucherov‘s score seems way off. Should be somewhere between Marner and Matthews you’d think, maybe all the missed time recently plays a factor but still.

As much as I love JT, I think Point is probably the better player at this junction also.

Stamkos rating seems fair. The guy is having an amazing season, 100 points is incredible and deserves respect. But whenever I watch Tampa hes just not the guy leading the charge and driving play like you’d expect of a 100 point player. Guy was never the same after driving his leg into the goal post years ago unfortunately. He’s still incredibly dangerous on the power play and can get it done offensively.

I feel Hedman should have a higher rating as he’s the best D-man in the series easy. Guy is such a unique and physical specimen. Guy is more skillied than 99% of players then blessed with incredible physical gifts on top of that with his frame. At the same time I feel his score is warranted as I’ve seen Marty Marincin bonehead level IQ plays more than you’d like from a Norris calibre D-man. For the most part he’s dominated but when he’s off it’s shocking how low it can get.

Vasy compared to Campbell seems fair but if those numbers are just this year, Campbell has similar numbers but Vasy has played more games so maybe that’s a factor. Overall this regular season, Vasy hasn’t been much better than Campbell though. Taking into account the whole body of work of their careers Vasy wins by a landslide however reflecting the score.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Leafs trying to avoid history here. 5 consecutive 1st round exits if you include the play in series. Can we finally get over the hump on our 6th try?

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
I'm super excited in watching this series with what happened in the previous games.

Go Leafs Go! f*** up Maroon and Perry!

USATSI_18021676-1024x683.jpg

Appreciate the support and all considering pretty much every fanbase hates us, but your team is in the playoffs too you know! You guys smashing the Oilers would give me great joy so don’t forget to focus some energy there. We’ll even lend you Clifford for a game or two for a chin check on Evander Kane once he starts running around.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I know you don’t makes these but Kucherov‘s score seems way off. Should be somewhere between Marner and Matthews you’d think, maybe all the missed time recently plays a factor but still.

As much as I love JT, I think Point is probably the better player at this junction also.

Stamkos rating seems fair. The guy is having an amazing season, 100 points is incredible and deserves respect. But whenever I watch Tampa hes just not the guy leading the charge and driving play like you’d expect of a 100 point player. Guy was never the same after driving his leg into the goal post years ago unfortunately. He’s still incredibly dangerous on the power play and can get it done offensively.

I feel Hedman should have a higher rating as he’s the best D-man in the series easy. Guy is such a unique and physical specimen. Guy is more skillied than 99% of players then blessed with incredible physical gifts on top of that with his frame. At the same time I feel his score is warranted as I’ve seen Marty Marincin bonehead level IQ plays more than you’d like from a Norris calibre D-man. For the most part he’s dominated but when he’s off it’s shocking how low it can get.

Vasy compared to Campbell seems fair but if those numbers are just this year, Campbell has similar numbers but Vasy has played more games so maybe that’s a factor. Overall this regular season, Vasy hasn’t been much better than Campbell though. Taking into account the whole body of work of their careers Vasy wins by a landslide however reflecting the score.

Point and Kuch really took a dive this year not just in production but even more so in underlying metrics.

To your point though - I definitely think they'll both step it up significantly higher than that number there during the playoffs, while Matthews and Marner are going to have to prove they can carry their crazy number there into the playoffs.

The thing about Hedman is that he just doesn't have the greatest defensive impact, nor does he face the toughest matchups (McDonagh pair does that).....he has the best number there on either team and deserves it, but I get why it's not higher than that.

Reactions: MapleLeafs94

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Point and Kuch really took a dive this year not just in production but even more so in underlying metrics.

To your point though - I definitely think they'll both step it up significantly higher than that number there during the playoffs, while Matthews and Marner are going to have to prove they can carry their crazy number there into the playoffs.

The thing about Hedman is that he just doesn't have the greatest defensive impact, nor does he face the toughest matchups (McDonagh pair does that).....he has the best number there on either team and deserves it, but I get why it's not higher than that.
Kuch took a dive in production even though he's 2nd in the league in PPG?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Heart says Leafs head says Lighting. I hope the Leafs can finally get over the hump and get it done!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kuch took a dive in production even though he's 2nd in the league in PPG?

You're right - crazy surge at the end there got his production up near normal. Not sure if it was mostly PP or not.

But both him and Point went from their usual elite high-50s xgf% to barely over 50% this year.

That's a big worry imo because those two in particular could easily flip a switch back up to dominant elite again.

Silver lining might be that the fact that Coop has kept them split up for a long while now might mean that he's not convinced their downturn was a temporary blip that would just fix itself again.

We'll see

Reactions: MapleLeafs94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad