Series Talk: Leafs vs Lightning Pre-Playoff Thread

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You're leaving a guy out who can potentially be the difference the series who can provide very meaningful offense. Keefe isn't going to do this.
I mean...if we go 3-0 without him (or 2-1 and the loss is tight), that means that group has done a really good job. Not sure why we would change that on the brink of winning a series.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I worry with the amount of penalties the leafs are going to get next game. Refs made sure to give the leafs a bunch of PPs late in the game when it meant nothing, I'm guessing we will see some even up calls as the leafs had half the PIM last game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean...if we go 3-0 without him (or 2-1 and the loss is tight), that means that group has done a really good job. Not sure why we would change that on the brink of winning a series.

Am I wrong for thinking Keefe will absolutely change that though?

I worry with the amount of penalties the leafs are going to get next game. Refs made sure to give the leafs a bunch of PPs late in the game when it meant nothing, I'm guessing we will see some even up calls as the leafs had half the PIM last game.

Hope McCauley is done coaching. No bunting either should help a bit.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
They have had 11PPs we have had 10PPs thus far. But you're right, you never know what the refs will make happen out there. All we can do is play our game

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
They have had 11PPs we have had 10PPs thus far. But you're right, you never know what the refs will make happen out there. All we can do is play our game
While that is true the Leafs also had a few 5 on 3s last game. I just have a feeling the leafs will spend alot of time in the box, first game in Tampa, had way more power play the previous game etc

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
While that is true the Leafs also had a few 5 on 3s last game. I just have a feeling the leafs will spend alot of time in the box, first game in Tampa, had way more power play the previous game etc
Oh ya I'm with you. Tampa was flopping all over the place last game and throwing their arms up for any and everything. We'll see how long it takes for the refs to figure it out. The book has to be out on them by now, right?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It's more so the timing of the calls and how crappy they were. Kampf's call the first game came when it was 3-2, then Schenn's when it was 4-2 I think. We got a lot of our PPs when the game was already out of reach for them and they were legit, not to mention the stuff they got away with all game.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Maybe its me hoping, but i expect the whistles to quiet down now. Youll see fewer PP's as this series goes on since the officiating has been too much of a focus

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
It's more so the timing and of the calls and how crappy they were. Kampf's call last game came when it was 3-2, then Schenn's when it was 4-2 I think. We got a lot of our PPs when the game was already out of reach for them and they were legit, not to mention the stuff they got away with all game.
Don't have to tell me haha. I almost had a conniption when I saw the replay of that Kampf slashing call. They also gave us two quick penalties last game after we made it 1-0 early.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Don't have to tell me haha. I almost had a conniption when I saw the replay of that Kampf slashing call. They also gave us two quick penalties last game after we made it 1-0 early.

Yeah that one on Knies was terrible too. But yeah as long as they don't give Tampa calls like that and call the game evenly (meaning call real penalties, not even up the amount of penalties) then I don't see us losing a game like that.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Oh ya I'm with you. Tampa was flopping all over the place last game and throwing their arms up for any and everything. We'll see how long it takes for the refs to figure it out. The book has to be out on them by now, right?
Agreed. They got that 'veteran team' invincibility to that type of stuff somehow. Never get called for brutal amounts of dives and exaggeration

Maybe its me hoping, but i expect the whistles to quiet down now. Youll see fewer PP's as this series goes on since the officiating has been too much of a focus
I hope you are right. Given it started to get out of hand in thr last period I could also see everything get whistled to try to calm everyone down

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Regarding Bunting. If he had been injured then yes, automatically he comes back in regardless of how the team or Knies is doing (if needed, sit someone else).

To me, all bets are off for a suspension after a dirty hit, and it's an easy explanation from Keefe - even easier if the Leafs are rolling when Bunting is set to return - "I can't risk putting you back in that you'll do it again." If they lose then that's an excuse to get him back in, but if they keep winning he can't sit indefinitely either so ...

I can't say I'd blame Keefe for putting him right back in, even if Toronto is on the verge of winning the series. The argument being that the 3 games was punishment enough and he's clearly an importnat part of the team. Just make sure he understands he's on a short leash and has to keep his emotions in check. If he so much as takes a bad penalty, bench him and he's in the press box the next game.
I get what you're saying but i can't imagine they haven't beaten that horse to death already.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
What’s Jeff Marek’s take on the Leafs? I listen to him and Friedman on 32 thoughts and the Marek show and I get a vibe that he doesn’t like the leafs. Am I paranoid? Lol

On todays episode he talked to Fried and then he talked to Keith Jones. He listened to those 2 and agreed with them on many comments.

Then he talks to Red Wings head coach and former assistant for Tampa, Derek Lalonde.

Lalonde talks about this series and he praises the leafs a lot. Saying things like they’re not the Leafs of the past this year and how good and different they are.

And Marek doesn’t reply much and when he does, there’s no agreement other than stories of leafs failure lol.

Here’s a clip of the chat. Lalonde talks about how he thinks the leafs can beat 26-27-28 teams and were great last year and Marek doesn’t say a word. He doesn’t seem to wanna talk about it. He brings up f***ing baseball and the jays lol

It’s worth a listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What’s Jeff Marek’s take on the Leafs? I listen to him and Friedman on 32 thoughts and the Marek show and I get a vibe that he doesn’t like the leafs. Am I paranoid? Lol

On todays episode he talked to Fried and then he talked to Keith Jones. He listened to those 2 and agreed with them on many comments.

Then he talks to Red Wings head coach and former assistant for Tampa, Derek Lalonde.

Lalonde talks about this series and he praises the leafs a lot. Saying things like they’re not the Leafs of the past this year and how good and different they are.

And Marek doesn’t reply much and when he does, there’s no agreement other than stories of leafs failure lol.

Here’s a clip of the chat.

It’s worth a listen.

I find a lot of Canadian media have a hard time giving the Leafs credit because they dont want to appear as "bias" in the eyes of the rest of the market. Leafs bad = clicks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: