Series Talk: Leafs vs Lightning Pre-Playoff Thread

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I want to give some props to the Leaf fans at the Scotiabank. I'm tired of our arenas being associated with suit-and-tie-guys. Barbarians, like the yellow hoodie man, are needed.

Look, everybody hates our fanbase - even though we're pretty nice to other fanbases at the arenas. This hatred will never go away. May as well live up to the stereotype and become more goonish at the arenas and make it work in our favour, like we did yesterday.
I think this tweet sums up being a Leafs fan:

1682082954759.png

Even if we won a Cup, the rest of the league would find reasons to throw shade. It's a no win situation out there.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Best of Five. Biggest factor going forward is the health of each team. Leafs so far have managed to avoid anything major, but if Tampa's #1 and #3 D cannot go, they are in serious trouble.

They will be better at home, but those are massive holes to fill. It might fall to Vasi... who we all know can stand to the challenge!
Vasi isn’t superhuman as was proven in game 2. The loss of Hedman cannot be overstated. No McDonough back there either.

if the leafs forecheck like they’re capable of then that AHL calibre defence will crumble.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
So we're in the same position we were last year after 2 games - best of 5, Tampa with home ice. But it has such a different feel to it. Last year felt like a toss up, but that we'd have to take down a full-blown juggernaut. And we almost did. This year, given how battered they are on defence, this series should be ours for the taking. It's not Montreal-level, but if we come to play we should absolutely pound them the next couple games.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Last couple of days I've been taking quick peeks at moneypuck. Yesterday, they had the Leafs at between 43-44% to win the series, today they're at 62.7%.

Gotta love that, now go and win it boys!

GLG!!

Edit - I just noticed that Moneyupuck has the Bruins at only 49.9% to get past Florida. We're at 62.7% to make it past round 1 and Boston is only 49.9%, let that sink in. Holy shit! I don't understand this at all but I love it!
The line is set to get people to bet both sides so the Leafs being so high will encourage a lot to get in on Tampa.

I don't understand the Bos series. They have not looked great though and could easily be down 0-2.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I want to give some props to the Leaf fans at the Scotiabank. I'm tired of our arenas being associated with suit-and-tie-guys. Barbarians, like the yellow hoodie man, are needed.

Look, everybody hates our fanbase - even though we're pretty nice to other fanbases at the arenas. This hatred will never go away. May as well live up to the stereotype and become more goonish at the arenas and make it work in our favour, like we did yesterday.
Us against the world mentality. Anyone that is part of the Leafs need to adopt this mind set..

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m liking the crease clearing by and large. Perry is drawn to it like a moth to a light.
Gonna be a great series.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I say it's up to us - if both teams play to their potential (even with both teams 100% healthy), we win. Of course we've had trouble playing up to our potential in the playoffs these last few years so there is that. But who knows, maybe this will be the year. :)
Fair comment, and I tend to agree with your thought of us being the better team AND our difficulty in playing to that in the playoffs!

I guess my point was, and based off your point, if Tampa is without those guys our advantage should be too big for them to overcome.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The line is set to get people to bet both sides so the Leafs being so high will encourage a lot to get in on Tampa.

I don't understand the Bos series. They have not looked great though and could easily be down 0-2.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Moneypuck is just a stats site, they're not bookmakers and therefore this is just wrong.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
So what's the lineup when Bunting is back?

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-O'Reilly-Acciari
ZAR/Kerfoot-Kampf-Lafferty

Last forward spot has to be between ZAR & Kerfoot. Everyone else should be in.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Rielly and Schenn play like last night then Tampa is done .. I have seen Rielly take team on his back a few times but last night was prime time .. mark my words Cooper saw it too .. Cooper will design a game plan at home to run him .. Keefer this is a heads up .. be prepared .. Schenn can't fight da entire Tampa team every game .. da refs won't police it .. I am flying down tonight .. omg haven't been so excited for a war in a long time .. bring Wayner down with you .. next game will be a war of all wars

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fair comment, and I tend to agree with your thought of us being the better team AND our difficulty in playing to that in the playoffs!

I guess my point was, and based off your point, if Tampa is without those guys our advantage should be too big for them to overcome.
Agreed. We need to play up to our potential for once and crush these guys. If we lose this series, I'm going to lose my mind.

Reactions: wingman75

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
You can’t win being a Leaf fan, one minute other fans say our arena are too quiet the next they tell us to stay classy. I loved the atmosphere last night. Screw Tampa! Maroon looked a super bitter guy who knew he was getting his ass handed to him. The fans chirped and he took the bait. It’s not up to the fans to sit there and be quiet all night. It was really refreshing to see a Leaf crowd getting under the skin of the other team. It shouldn’t be comfortable in the playoffs.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Now to bring a sustained approach for the rest of the series. its a marathon.

Matthews is being hounded constantly so its been hard for him but I still like what he is bringing especially with his body :laugh: just taking down cirelli? lmao

Also ROR is genuinely a gem and setting such a good precedence.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Please just play with the same amount of intensity you did in game 2 throughout the rest of the playoffs and we will be a ok

If we play well and Knies looks good Bunting can sit his stupid ass in the stands, he did something idiotic and he doesn't deserve anything including walking straight back into the starting lineup

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's obviously logical to stick with same lineup for game 3, but I'm still nervous about having Kerfoot and Holl in the lineup. They are our 2 weakest links at the moment and prone to mistakes that give up possession too easily.

With Bunting out until game 5, I guess the options up front are limited.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I actually loved the effort and tenacity Kerfoot brought last night but jeez the guy can't win a board battle to save his life. And it's not for lack of effort the guy's just too small.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I actually loved the effort and tenacity Kerfoot brought last night but jeez the guy can't win a board battle to save his life. And it's not for lack of effort the guy's just too small.
He's a nice option to have as a backup centre in case of injury, but he's not effective enough as a winger, especially in the grind of playoff hockey.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If we go 2-1 or 3-0 with Bunting out then leave him out IMO.
He's got the most goals and points out of anyone outside the big 4 over the last 2 years.

There's no need to be ridiculous, just bring him back in a more reduced role.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He's got the most goals and points out of anyone outside the big 4 over the last 2 years.

There's no need to be ridiculous, just bring him back in a more reduced role.
I don’t think it’s ridiculous. If they win the next 2 and we’re up 3-1 then leave it as is and let him chill until round 2

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad