Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not this year.
Source?
I don't know where the twitter stuff you posted came from. You do realize the link I provided was nhl.com right?
Yes, I realize you posted a link to NHL.com and made a bunch of personal assumptions from media headlines. What I posted was a press release from the NHL themselves, addressing specifically what we are discussing, saying it's the playoffs.
No, you've said it's the playoffs, not the NHL.
No, the NHL has said it's the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Source?

Yes, I realize you posted a link to NHL.com and made a bunch of personal assumptions from media headlines. What I posted was a press release from the NHL themselves, addressing specifically what we are discussing, saying it's the playoffs.

No, the NHL has said it's the playoffs.

I provided you with links and quotes, not assumptions.

As I told you before, what you posted didn't contain the word playoffs. You're the one assuming that postseason means playoffs but this season it does not and the NHL disagrees with you.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I provided you with links and quotes, not assumptions.
You provided a link to NHL.com, which was useless, and the only quotes you've referenced are portions of media headlines. Your position is based on your assumption. My position is based on the NHL putting out a press release to specifically address this question, with an answer that is consistent with how they are handling player and team statistics and records.
As I told you before, what you posted didn't contain the word playoffs. You're the one assuming that postseason means playoffs but this season it does not and the NHL disagrees with you.
Postseason has always meant playoffs. You're the one arbitrarily deciding it now doesn't mean that, because you don't want it to. My position is the same as the NHL's. This is the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You provided a link to NHL.com, which was useless, and the only quotes you've referenced are portions of media headlines. Your position is based on your assumption. My position is based on the NHL putting out a press release to specifically address this question, with an answer that is consistent with how they are handling player and team statistics and records.

Postseason has always meant playoffs. You're the one arbitrarily deciding it now doesn't mean that, because you don't want it to. My position is the same as the NHL's. This is the playoffs.

I gave you direct quotes from articles on nhl.com, not "media headlines", why are you lying? If you think the NHL is "useless" a source then you're entitled to that opinion but they are the ones who decide what's playoffs and what isn't, not you.

The NHL is clearly differentiating between the post season and the playoffs so your position is most definitely NOT the same as the NHL's.

Postseason has always meant playoffs but 2020 is different, are you the only person who hasn't figured this out yet?

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I gave you direct quotes from articles on nhl.com, not "media headlines", why are you lying?
I am not lying. You referenced media headlines on NHL.com. I gave you a press release directly from the NHL specifically and officially addressing this question.
If you think the NHL is "useless" a source then you're entitled to that opinion but they are the ones who decide what's playoffs and what isn't, not you.
The NHL is not useless as a source. That's why I'm going by what the NHL said; that this is the playoffs. Sending me a link to NHL.com is useless.
The NHL is clearly differentiating between the post season and the playoffs
They are the same thing.
Postseason has always meant playoffs but 2020 is different
Again, source?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not lying. You referenced media headlines on NHL.com. I gave you a press release directly from the NHL specifically and officially addressing this question.

The NHL is not useless as a source. That's why I'm going by what the NHL said; that this is the playoffs. Sending me a link to NHL.com is useless.

They are the same thing. Nothing the NHL has officially said says otherwise.

Again, source?

What's the matter with you?

The press releases you gave didn't even mention the word playoffs. You have not provided a source for the NHL saying that this is the playoffs, you're either lying or you're having tons of trouble understanding English. Provide a source or give it up already dude.

You also said that " this is considered round 0 of the playoffs", I'm still waiting for you to provide a source for that gem. :laugh::laugh:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Postseason is the same thing as playoffs.

You do realize that's straight from the NHL, right?

First round of the playoffs, because this is considered round 0 of the playoffs, to keep consistency. "Qualifier" and "round robin" are used because there are two types of games in this playoff round, and it needs to be differentiated for the casual fan.

No, the NHL has said it's the playoffs, and most people understand that. There's just been some pushback from some on here who want to delegitimize the process.

Meh. I still don't think half the league should be excluded from the playoffs.

This felt better when it was 24 teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Semantics. I'm not sure why it matters.

I think it's mostly for record books? It's going to be confusing as hell, I believe they've said that points scored in these playins won't count for regular season totals but if these aren't playoffs like the NHL has said, where do these points go? They're "post season" points but not "playoff" points I guess.

It will be interesting to see what they do when the playoffs start. Will they include these points in the totals and refer to them as "post season" point leaders (that's my guess) or will they ignore them and start from zero with "playoff" points? Are these included in career totals and if so, do they have to forever refer to them as "post season" points and lose the term "playoff" points?

There's a lot of questions for sure and I don't envy the guys who have to provide the answers. Luckily for me it doesn't matter, all I care about is that if we win tomorrow, we're still in the hunt for the cup.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What's the matter with you?
Nothing is wrong with me. I'm just stating the facts. You came in and demanded that the NHL's official statement is wrong, with no evidence, and that the postseason suddenly isn't the playoffs, with no evidence. Based, it seems, entirely on your assumptions from media headlines.
The press releases you gave didn't even mention the word playoffs.
They mentioned the postseason multiple times, which is the same thing.
You have not provided a source for the NHL saying that this is the playoffs
I have. Here's another:

NHL Records

"2019-20: The NHL announces on May 26, 2020, the conclusion of the 2019-20 regular season as well as a modified competitive playoff format that features 24 teams – the top 12 in each conference based on points percentage at the time of the League’s pause (through games of March 11, 2020)."

"2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers
The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which feature both a Round Robin and Qualifying Round."

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I think it's mostly for record books? It's going to be confusing as hell, I believe they've said that points scored in these playins won't count for regular season totals but if these aren't playoffs like the NHL has said, where do these points go? They're "post season" points but not "playoff" points I guess.

It will be interesting to see what they do when the playoffs start. Will they include these points in the totals and refer to them as "post season" point leaders (that's my guess) or will they ignore them and start from zero with "playoff" points? Are these included in career totals and if so, do they have to forever refer to them as "post season" points and lose the term "playoff" points?

There's a lot of questions for sure and I don't envy the guys who have to provide the answers. Luckily for me it doesn't matter, all I care about is that if we win tomorrow, we're still in the hunt for the cup.

NHL is counting them as playoff stats:

NHL.com Stats

Go to a players page, filter by playoffs. The stats are playoff points:

Mitchell Marner Stats and News

For me personally I do consider round 1 real playoffs. But if we're going by the NHL, they do consider qualifiers playoffs.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
The only real difference that I can see is that a team eliminated from the qualifiers can (and will!) win the first overall pick, something that is not possible when you make the playoffs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I believe they've said that points scored in these playins won't count for regular season totals but if these aren't playoffs like the NHL has said, where do these points go? They're "post season" points but not "playoff" points I guess.
They are recorded as playoff points, because these are the playoffs.
Luckily for me it doesn't matter
*Looks at last 2 pages*
:skeptic:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
thats how I interpret it as well, it was a play in qualifier, not the playoffs, the round of 16 that begins on tuesday is the playoffs
Correct. People can get confused because this has never happened before. Post Season means After the Season not Playoffs. In the past they were the same, this year they aren’t. I’d expect things to go back to normal next year.

Reactions: rubous

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
thats how I interpret it as well, it was a play in qualifier, not the playoffs, the round of 16 that begins on tuesday is the playoffs
Correct. People can get confused because this has never happened before. Post Season means After the Season not Playoffs. In the past they were the same, this year they aren’t. I’d expect things to go back to normal next year.
You can choose to believe whatever you want, but the hard fact is that we are in the playoffs right now. The NHL has explicitly stated so, many times, in many forms.

NHL Records

"2019-20: The NHL announces on May 26, 2020, the conclusion of the 2019-20 regular season as well as a modified competitive playoff format that features 24 teams – the top 12 in each conference based on points percentage at the time of the League’s pause (through games of March 11, 2020)."

The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which feature both a Round Robin and Qualifying Round."

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
You can choose to believe whatever you want, but the hard fact is that we are in the playoffs right now. The NHL has explicitly stated so, many times, in many forms.

NHL Records

why does the NHL say playoffs begin on Tuesday on their commercials?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
why does the NHL say playoffs begin on Tuesday on their commercials?
I haven't seen any commercials that say that, but the NHL does a lot of weird things to simplify for casual fans. Commercials are not what decides what the playoffs are. The NHL put out a press release specifically addressing this question, saying that it was the playoffs. The players are accumulating playoff stats. Team playoff streaks continued, and droughts were ended. Records have been recorded as playoff records. The page on NHL.com specifically about different playoff formats over the years includes the qualifiers. They have a line that specifically says their playoff format features 24 teams, and they have another line that specifically says "The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers". You literally can't get more straightforward than that. Anybody saying that this isn't the playoffs is flat out wrong.

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad