Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Just do it and move up Kerfoot to second line

That 3rd line is underwhelming anyways. Roll 3 lines including 4th line but don't play 3rd line until 3rd period if we get a lead

Marner-Matthews-Tavares
Nylander - Kerfoot- Kapanen
Engvall-Spezza-Clifford

Robertson-Hyman-Mikaheyv or Scratch Robertson and insert GOAT for Center position
whoa what hyman demotion? hell no

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
whoa what hyman demotion? hell no

why would you consider shuffling around a demotion?

Hyman hasn't had a good series. He was good with extra men but he hasn't been good at all. He led to 2 goals, no doubt, but overall he has been exposed
I would have put him in Kapanen's role but at least Kapanen had 2 semi breakaways and has ability to change a game

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah, the fact that we're still in this despite that says a lot about our team.

During this playoffs so far, all of the top-10 in 5v5 SV% have either already won their series, or are undefeated in the round robin. Except Columbus.
In the regular season, the worst offensive team was Detroit who scored 1.63 goals/60 at 5v5. The Leafs are at 0.81 goals/60. If you had told me before the series the Leafs would produce offense at half the rate of the Detroit Red Wings and only had 1 powerplay goal in regulation time, I would have assumed Columbus would get an easy sweep. The series is still not over, but whatever happens I am at least impressed with the Leafs for hanging around despite absolutely insane bad shooting luck at 5v5

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
In the regular season, the worst offensive team was Detroit who scored 1.63 goals/60 at 5v5. The Leafs are at 0.81 goals/60. If you had told me before the series the Leafs would produce offense at half the rate of the Detroit Red Wings and only had 1 powerplay goal in regulation time, I would have assumed Columbus would get an easy sweep. The series is still not over, but whatever happens I am at least impressed with the Leafs for hanging around despite absolutely insane bad shooting luck at 5v5

Thats whats so maddening.

Its not that the Leafs arnt producing chances, its that the goalkeepers are standing on their heads 5v5.

Score adjusted, the team thats produced the most scoring chances/60 5v5 this playoffs is the same team thats scored the fewest goals 5v5.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is some of the bad luck Toronto has had scoring at 5v5.

In Game 1 late in the 2nd period Matthews gets robbed on a great scoring chance right in the slot on a one timer.

Last night Mitch Marner has that wrap around early in the 1st period and was unlucky that Merzlikins stick got in his way when he lost it. Plus there was another chance where Clifford back handed the puck that got past Merzlikins and his glove got on it in the crease before Engvall could get the rebound.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Just do it and move up Kerfoot to second line

That 3rd line is underwhelming anyways. Roll 3 lines including 4th line but don't play 3rd line until 3rd period if we get a lead

Marner-Matthews-Tavares
Nylander - Kerfoot- Kapanen
Engvall-Spezza-Clifford

Robertson-Hyman-Mikaheyv or Scratch Robertson and insert GOAT for Center position

You cant take Hyman out for 2/3 of the game. He has a lot to do with the zone possession.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
2nd overall in the playoffs. 1st is Colorado, who haven't allowed a 5v5 goal. Though Colorado has only played 91 minutes at 5v5, compared to 224 minutes at 5v5 for Columbus (most in playoffs). Also they're in the round robin, not an elimination series.

As far as I know, the playoffs haven't started yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think there's some confusion as to whether or not this was a playoff game. I thought these were "playins". Or "qualifiers".
The whole point of that wasn't if it's considered a playoff game. It's the coincidence how Mike Foligno scored for Toronto when they were down 3 goals and winning in overtime on his goal, because last night Toronto came back from 3 goals and it was Nick Folingo who took the penalty in overtime which lead to the game winning goal.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The NHL is the source.

I don't see the word playoffs there anywhere. Twitter's cool but try this site:

Official Site of the National Hockey League

Here are some headlines from nhl.com:

"Chicago to play Vegas in first round". First round of what do you think?

"Coyotes to play Avalanche in first round" Again, first round of what?

Note all the articles (including the one about Maple Leafs comeback) under the heading "Stanley Cup Qualifiers". Qualifying for what do you think?

Every article I've seen about these games now being played calls them "postseason", not playoffs. Usually they're the same thing but not in 2020.

If these games are playoff games, you better let the NHL know because they seem to think differently. ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The whole point of that wasn't if it's considered a playoff game. It's the coincidence how Mike Foligno scored for Toronto when they were down 3 goals and winning in overtime on his goal, because last night Toronto came back from 3 goals and it was Nick Folingo who took the penalty in overtime which lead to the game winning goal.

Ya I saw that, that's pretty cool!

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I really enjoy this 24 team "playoff" format to be honest. I think it's ridiculous that half the league doesn't make it to the dance or play any meaningful games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I really enjoy this 24 team "playoff" format to be honest. I think it's ridiculous that half the league doesn't make it to the dance or play any meaningful games.

Maybe it's just semantics but it's a 24 team post season and a 16 team playoff.

Some people think it's ridiculous that even 16 teams make the playoffs. And leaving aside for a moment if any games are meaningless, there's an argument to be made that with 24 playoff teams, the regular season would have even less games that are meaningful considering how many teams will have all but clinched a spot by Christmas.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't see the word playoffs there anywhere.
Postseason is the same thing as playoffs.
Twitter's cool but try this site:
You do realize that's straight from the NHL, right?
"Chicago to play Vegas in first round". First round of what do you think?
"Coyotes to play Avalanche in first round" Again, first round of what?
Note all the articles (including the one about Maple Leafs comeback) under the heading "Stanley Cup Qualifiers". Qualifying for what do you think?
First round of the playoffs, because this is considered round 0 of the playoffs, to keep consistency. "Qualifier" and "round robin" are used because there are two types of games in this playoff round, and it needs to be differentiated for the casual fan.
If these games are playoff games, you better let the NHL know because they seem to think differently.
No, the NHL has said it's the playoffs, and most people understand that. There's just been some pushback from some on here who want to delegitimize the process.

Reactions: Havoc

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Postseason is the same thing as playoffs.

Not this year.

You do realize that's straight from the NHL, right?

I don't know where the twitter stuff you posted came from. You do realize the link I provided was nhl.com right?

First round of the playoffs, because this is considered round 0 of the playoffs, to keep consistency. "Qualifier" and "round robin" are used because there are two types of games in this playoff round, and it needs to be differentiated for the casual fan.

LOL. Source?

No, the NHL has said it's the playoffs, and most people understand that. There's just been some pushback from some on here who want to delegitimize the process.

No, you've said it's the playoffs, not the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad