Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Anyways, the way the former league executives in the media are raving about Keefes decision to try Matthews, JT, A and Mitch together reinforces my belief that it really isn't that hard to be a GM.

I mean, they're treating it like it's some sort of revolutionary throught process, while we the fans literally scream at the TV that playing stars with plugs maybe isn't the best decision all of the time

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I just read an interesting bit of trivia.

Columbus was the least penalized team in the NHL this season. Upon looking it up they were second to Arizona.

Anyways these aren't the Broad Street Bullies...Leafs in 3

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The winner of game #1 has a huge advantage in all these best of 5 play-in series, as it would force the loser to win 3 of the next 4 games with little room for error thereafter.

I would say the winner of game #1 is going to win 62.5% of the time and advance.

That is based on the average with needing to winning 2 of the last 4 games at 50% odds and winning 3 of the last 4 games at 75% making the average the middle to advance on % odds likelihood of winning the series with a game #1 win at the median.

Now I understand odds do not work exactly like that, however I suggest the chance of advancing with a game #1 win makes the series about 60-40 in favor of that team.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
The winner of game #1 has a huge advantage in all these best of 5 play-in series, as it would force the loser to win 3 of the next 4 games with little room for error thereafter.

I would say the winner of game #1 is going to win 62.5% of the time and advance.

That is based on the average with needing to winning 2 of the last 4 games at 50% odds and winning 3 of the last 4 games at 75% making the average the middle to advance on % odds likelihood of winning the series with a game #1 win at the median.

Now I understand odds do not work exactly like that, however I suggest the chance of advancing with a game #1 win makes the series about 60-40 in favor of that team.

In this matchup, i would say the odds would be more tilted in favour of the team winning the first game, especially the leafs. In a matchup of opposing styles, if the leafs can get that first goal, that may be the key to forcing the play and making it a quick series. If they score the first goal in game 1, i put the series odds at 60-40 right after the first goal. 80-20 if they win the first game.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Winning the first game is huge. And if you look at the remaining 4 games, it might look daunting, having to win 3 in four

But if the other team wins the second game then that evens it up and both teams have to win 2 of 3.

So losing the first game is not a disaster. Losing the first 2 games, is.

But, yes, it's better to win the first.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I sure am liking the last change for a change.Should help loads that our centers win more face offs too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder how the Leafs are managing the psychological aspect of playing in Toronto. Publicly you have to pay lip service to the fact that there’s no home ice advantage and it’s a unique experience. But behind the scenes are they amping themselves up like no Eastern Conference team is going to punch their ticket to the finals in our rink kind of thing.

Reactions: CincoHolio

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anyways, the way the former league executives in the media are raving about Keefes decision to try Matthews, JT, A and Mitch together reinforces my belief that it really isn't that hard to be a GM.

I mean, they're treating it like it's some sort of revolutionary throught process, while we the fans literally scream at the TV that playing stars with plugs maybe isn't the best decision all of the time
Maybe they were talking like that because since Tavares signed in Toronto we never saw Mike Babcock try anything like that even in practice putting Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on the same line.

Reactions: DivInit23

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I want Montreal to beat Pittsburgh then get swept in the 1st round.

Agree, but it has to be by some form of a fluke as to not have to hear Habs fans boasting.

So if 1/2 the Pens come in contact with someone known to have COVID and they all have to sit out the playin series quarantining for 2 weeks. That works for me.

Reactions: Nineteen67

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Maybe they were talking like that because since Tavares signed in Toronto we never saw Mike Babcock try anything like that even in practice putting Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on the same line.

Would have been easy last year plugging Kadri onto the second line.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My guess is it would be done as usual. Leafs will have last change for first 2 games, then BJs will for games 3 and 4. Why change that? That's just my thinking.
That's exactly what will happen.

For Games 1 and 2 if you at look on nhl.com they have Columbus listed on top as the road team and Toronto listed at the bottom as the home team.

For Game 3 Toronto is listed at the top as the road team and Columbus is listed at the bottom as the home team.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Only 5 more days til we see some form of organized hockey. I hope we smoke the Habs and they lose all confidence
Why should they have and confidence to begin with? Price has been an average goalie the last 2 seasons even when factoring in the team around him, should be a landslide for Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad