Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to a 1 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
"We can't have nice things"

Where did I say he's not good? I'm really impressed with Zaitsev, I just don't think I'm ready to stop the search for a #1 RD just because Zaitsev has looked good in a short tournament. Petri Kontiola and Milan Michalek also play really great internationally, sometimes it doesn't translate. I personally think he's a lot better than those two but I'm just saying.

I agree he's probably our most talented RHD right now. But I've seen 2 posters say he's better than Trouba. Like come on..... Trouba is at a similar level to Rielly, some fans need to push the brakes.

Sometimes I hate this board. If you're not super optimistic and pencil guys into top defence parinings, all of a sudden you're a pessimist.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He seems like he should be better than Hunwick, Corrado and Marincin. That's an improvement to the team's defense. There's still a chance he'll be even more effective than that at the NHL level compared to the national team level. The one thing he has yet to face is the type of relentless physical forechecking pressure that some NHL teams put on the opposition defense.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Where did I say he's not good? I'm really impressed with Zaitsev, I just don't think I'm ready to stop the search for a #1 RD just because Zaitsev has looked good in a short tournament. Petri Kontiola and Milan Michalek also play really great internationally, sometimes it doesn't translate. I personally think he's a lot better than those two but I'm just saying.

I agree he's probably our most talented RHD right now. But I've seen 2 posters say he's better than Trouba. Like come on..... Trouba is at a similar level to Rielly, some fans need to push the brakes.

Sometimes I hate this board. If you're not super optimistic and pencil guys into top defence parinings, all of a sudden you're a pessimist.

Just embrace it. In my mind, people that try to go after you personally probably just don't have any real arguments to bring to the table.

I'll have to say that your examples are not the best though. Kontiola came over after injury, and he's not been the same since that. Milan Michalek has been good internationally, but he's also always been a solid player. The translation issue is most often with going over to NA rink size, which is one of the reasons why Zaitsev's performance was so encouraging.

Either way, we still need to strengthen our right side, like you said.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...arche-sygraet-v-atake-zhdu-ego-v-toronto.html

According to this Russian site, Babcock told them, that he thought Zaitsev would be better offensively, but he wasn't. So he hopes, Zaitsev will do it better on Toronto.

Zaitsev was being utilized as a defensive defenseman, pretty much. Even when they got to the offensive zone... whenever Orlov went deep with the puck, Zaitsev receded to the red line.

Sign of shut down defense rather than continued offensive pressure. (which adds considerable turnover risk)

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he didnt get a chance to show off his offense that much, he got zero PP time despite that bomb and accurate shot, he was also playing against the 1st or 2nd lines of every team so he didnt rush or pinch too much, had to play a sound and fundamental defensive game...and he did

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
he didnt get a chance to show off his offense that much, he got zero PP time despite that bomb and accurate shot, he was also playing against the 1st or 2nd lines of every team so he didnt rush or pinch too much, had to play a sound and fundamental defensive game...and he did

yeah he usually shows the bomb on his off wing on the one timers but they play him on the right side where he doesn`t receive the puck in the same manner.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
I picked Zaitsev in my fantasy draft last night - going to be a steal.
And he's still not availiable on yahoo. What the hell?

dUbvSp.png

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think Zaitsev playing style is far more appropriate for Rielly than Trouba. While I see a #1D upside in the jet, his smarts and preference to puck rush tells me that he cannot be a more stay-at-home passer.

Zaisev can and defensively he seems better than Trouba as well. Better in front of the net, usually wins puck handles and can separate the puck from opposing forwards quite efficiently. When all said and done, Nikita looks like an elite #3 who defensively can be a solid #2 and even better with Rielly as his partner.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Lol at the dude who thinks trouba is in the same solar system as Mo.

Mo is a better skater, better first pass and better hockey iq.

Trouba has the slap shot and physicality over Mo. That's all.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

While I do see Trouba becoming a #1D, I think he's more like a McDonagh. On the other hand, Rielly has a potential to become a Keith.

Pretty big difference despite playing a similar role.

Zaitsev is far more better suiting playing that #2 Hjalmarsson role, though. If we could acquire Trouba, I'd rather give him his own pairing to elevate. Much like Nieds and Pronger usually playing on separate pairings.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Feels good man. Russia has spoken!

Russia Hockey
‏@russiahockey_en
Alongside Sergei Bobrovsky, you have voted Nikita Zaitsev and Nikita Kucherov your best Russian players at the #WCH2016!

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

So you've never watched Trouba play? I can understand the argument that Rielly > Trouba, but if you think they're in an entirely different solar system you're delusional :laugh:

I love Rielly, but his defensive side of the game needs work, and Trouba gets the edge there.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
So you've never watched Trouba play? I can understand the argument that Rielly > Trouba, but if you think they're in an entirely different solar system you're delusional :laugh:

I love Rielly, but his defensive side of the game needs work, and Trouba gets the edge there.

Uhh.. no. Have you looked at the defensive metrics? Nearly identical.
That's ok you're an opinion based poster not fact based.

Also this is zaitsev discussion.

Edit: i will say i 100% believe trouba will be legit. Probably a top pair guy.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I personally agree that rielly and Trouba are basically equal defensivrly, but can we please stop trying to use statistics as some kind of gospel.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

Edit: i will say i 100% believe trouba will be legit. Probably a top pair guy.

HAHAHA!

You're right i'm basing it all on opinion and you're 100% facts. Now, could you please tell me which FACT proves Rielly has better hockey IQ?

Also, I can play that game too. Lets look at the facts. This article compares Rielly vs. Trouba both offensively and defensively.

http://theleafsnation.com/2016/4/5/...-contract-could-prove-difficult-and-expensive

:laugh::laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maple Leafs’ Nikita Zaitsev has the right stuff: Feschuk

The talented Russian rookie defenceman has leaned on two former Leafs for advice and help in making it to the NHL: Gary Roberts and Dmitri Yushkevich.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...kita-zaitsev-has-the-right-stuff-feschuk.html

It wasn’t long into Nikita Zaitsev’s first sweat-soaked summer in the famous gym that he was introduced to one of Gary Roberts’ rules of clean living.

“(Roberts) told me, ‘If you train and drink beer, the training doesn’t work,’ ” Zaitsev was saying recently, laughing a little at the memory. “It’s funny, but it’s true. I don’t drink a lot, but I just remember that. (Roberts) explained a lot of things to me that I didn’t know. Like, how to be a pro.”

You might have seen Zaitsev, the 24-year-old Russian defenceman signed by the Maple Leafs in the off-season, displaying his well-conditioned wares at the Air Canada Centre last month, when he commanded team-leading ice time for his country at the World Cup of Hockey. It’s expected he’ll play a considerable role on Toronto’s defensive corps in the 82-game season to come.

But as Zaitsev began life as one of the newest Maple Leafs, he spent some time giving credit to the mentorship of a couple of club alumni. Zaitsev cites as two of his biggest hockey influences both Roberts, the rugged ex-forward who has found a prosperous second career as a trainer to NHL stars, and Dmitri Yushkevich, one of Roberts’s former Leafs teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad