Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to a 1 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
The only thing I was worried about having watched him play a few KHL games was his acceleration.

After the World Cup, it's clear that it isn't an issue and that he gets around the ice quite well.

I don't think there's any stretch whatsoever to say he's a top-4 defender already.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end he looked good during that tournament. You can only take so much out of these short events, but that's encouraging. He didn't look bad on the smaller ice surface so I'll take that as a positive.

If things work out really well for him, well then awesome :). I mean the purpose of looking around and getting someone like Zaitsev is to give a boost to the team. Find talent wherever it might be.

I'm looking forward to how he does at camp and this season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So is this the part where we pencil a guy into our #1 pairing based off a 2 week tournament? I agree that he's looked great, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

1st, it's not just 2-week tournament, he was fantastic at WHC as well. Yeah, different rinks and the level of competition, but there were tough opponents at WHC, and Zaitsev was flawless, not a single 5x5 goal let in during the whole tournament. WCH has just confirmed the same.

2nd, Look at Emelin, Orlov, Markov. This "short tournament" exposed their qualities more, than alright. Canada's 4 out of 5 goals were scored thanks to Markov and Emelin. Orlov looked better this game, but he always had a partner to clean his ****. And that partner's name was... Yeah, Nikita Zaitsev.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The kid was playing at the ACC holding the zone, breaking up plays, and passing silky smooth against Canada. The competition doesn't get any better than team Canada in the NHL. The kid has talent.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

And all those d-men are 30+ years old. They've already peaked. Not to mention Zaitsev also had also fared much better in the playoffs. 0.50/PPG in the 14-15 playoffs, and 0.65/PPG in the 15-16 playoffs. Whereas the top Canadian players fizzled during post-season play.

He still has a few years ahead of him before he could potentially hit his peak. Not sure how the Leafs pulled this one off, but am I glad that they did.

The Shanaplan just keeps getting better with each passing season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The only knock pundits and announcers could come up with on Zaitsev during the WC was that he has never played in the NHL. Now he's played against the best in the world and held his own. I think he passed the test. It's ok to be excited, slot him in the top pairing etc. the only thing we are getting ahead of here is inevitability.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I don't like the bandwagon thing very much until a player has proven themselves. Peeps can spout how great a player is going to be all year long on these boards and it amounts to nothing if they turn out to be Matt Finn. But...

Zaitsev has legitimate game. He is solid is all important aspects HQ, Skating, Size, Shot. Very nice signing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't like the bandwagon thing very much until a player has proven themselves. Peeps can spout how great a player is going to be all year long on these boards and it amounts to nothing if they turn out to be Matt Finn. But...

Zaitsev has legitimate game. He is solid is all important aspects HQ, Skating, Size, Shot. Very nice signing.

Very impressed with Zaits game.

He looks like a player alright, and appears to be a strong addition to this team.

He essentially replaces the departed Phaneuf in the top 4 so we will see if there are improvements to be had and if this is an upgrade.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I consider Zaitsev an all-round defenseman who is more stronger on his own end. I'd argue that Cam Barker has a higher offensive skill set and only failed to pan out in the NHL due to his limited feet.

Barker has slow feet and a Celeron processor.....

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I've been writing to my hockey friends who have little faith in the Leaf prospects and signings.
Saying that it all Leaf hype. Gotta believe Zaitsev is the real deal. Pro veteran, a KHL all star.
If only teams had thought Panarin of the Hawks was going to so good, maybe he would have got more press before his free agent signing.
Soshnikov and Hyman seemed to be under the radar signings of "older" guys who now seem NHL ready.

Canadians signs well known quitter Radalov for 5.75m but somehow 1m Zaitsev is overhyped?

Thinking that Leafs have established a great base with their Dmen of Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Carrick.
Marincin and other can be OK till maybe some others might be NHLers like Valiev, Dermott and Neilson.
May not be a playoff team this year or maybe even next year, but the defence, goaltending and at least the forward prospects do show NHL promise.

Isn't Radulov nearly universally panned and looked at as a head scratcher for the MTL deal though?

Unless I am missing it, I am not noticing a ton of flack for TOR signing Zaitsev; I don't see over-paid, stupid decision, poor signing, or even over-rated posts.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Isn't Radulov nearly universally panned and looked at as a head scratcher for the MTL deal though?

Unless I am missing it, I am not noticing a ton of flack for TOR signing Zaitsev; I don't see over-paid, stupid decision, poor signing, or even over-rated posts.

Radulov is a headcase that Montreal took on after getting rid of PK Subban citing issues with personality. Montreal is being lambasted more for being two faced than for picking up a halfway decent player that has issues

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
According to Elite Prospects, Zaitsev was first all star D in the the KHL in 2014-15 and 2015-16. That's usually the best site for info on Euro prospects, IMO.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34773

Sure, sometimes even the bluest of blue chippers don't turn out in the end. But there's every reason to be optimistic about Zaitsev. It certainly looks reasonable to me to pencil him into the top four.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Zaitsev has had an impressive showing so far. Would love it if we could get our hands on Trouba for the right price.
Our top 4 would look pretty nice then imo, and we would have that lefty/righty balance that Babcock loves.
Rielly - Trouba
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Or

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Trouba

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
Maybe we shouldnt get too excited even if he is great. We have him on a 1 year contract for dirt cheap. He performs too good he will be looking to the highest bidder next offseason

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Maybe we shouldnt get too excited even if he is great. We have him on a 1 year contract for dirt cheap. He performs too good he will be looking to the highest bidder next offseason

Ya but there is a reason he chose Toronto in the first place so im sure he will have some loyalty and if hes that good im sure we will have no problem paying the money.

Unless some team offers him a completely unreasonable offer which i doubt i think he remains a leaf.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Ya but there is a reason he chose Toronto in the first place so im sure he will have some loyalty and if hes that good im sure we will have no problem paying the money.

Unless some team offers him a completely unreasonable offer which i doubt i think he remains a leaf.

Wouldn't he be an RFA though since he neither has 7 years in the NHL or is not aged 27? If that's the case we have leverage. (Unless he'd rather go back to Russia, but I doubt this is the case.)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Wouldn't he be an RFA though since he neither has 7 years in the NHL or is not aged 27? If that's the case we have leverage. (Unless he'd rather go back to Russia, but I doubt this is the case.)

He's an RFA after the end of this contract. Leafs are his only NHL option next year barring a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad