Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to a 1 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've literally never heard that? His skating is always been known as a strength.
The criticism has always been about his first steps. It isn't very efficient and a bit choppy. Maybe Underhill can help, but I wouldn't consider him a high-end skater.

Fret not, Zaitsev is a puck mover who likes to keep the puck zipping. This means that he isn't a puck rusher like Phaneuf who lacks the speed to get back into position.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
The criticism has always been about his first steps. It isn't very efficient and a bit choppy. Maybe Underhill can help, but I wouldn't consider him a high-end skater.

Fret not, Zaitsev is a puck mover who likes to keep the puck zipping. This means that he isn't a puck rusher like Phaneuf who lacks the speed to get back into position.

What the heck does a bit choppy even mean?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
What the heck does a bit choppy even mean?
When accelerating, his first steps aren't as smooth as Gardiner and Rielly. It isn't the end of the world considering that he isn't a rover like those two. However, I think when having top-end smooth-skating D, higher skating standards are going to be the result.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He didn't play a lot with Rielly against Ottawa, did he? But when they were together, Toronto defense usually looked pretty solid.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
He got a look with everyone but he played most with rielly and looked real good. Sneaky shot great foot speed changes direction quickly great exit passes tape on every time

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he never seems to be doing anything special but hes never bad, and he has a great shot

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, that's his style, always has been playing this way. He looks like the most mistakeless Toronto defenseman.
He's a lot like Lidstrom in that regard. Doesn't need to move around a lot in order to move the puck. Instead, he's about a sound positional game and making crisp, accurate passes to the forwards entering the offensive zone.

The game doesn't need to slow down when Zaitsev on the ice. Rielly, in contrast, shines the most when skating up with the puck like a fourth, playmaking, forward.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He's surprised me in a good way. You never know what your getting when you come over, but so far so good. I imagine he'll be even better once he gets comfortable with the NA ice and language barrier.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
He's surprised me in a good way. You never know what your getting when you come over, but so far so good. I imagine he'll be even better once he gets comfortable with the NA ice and language barrier.

His English is already pretty good.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Will we have to protect him for the expansion draft? Same for Connor Carrick. Thanks in advance, I realize it's been covered but I don't gots time to go through this thread.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Bobby Mac called him at worst a top 4 guy on Leafs Lunch the other day, could also be a top pairing guy for us.

Now that's a free wallet.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bobby Mac called him at worst a top 4 guy on Leafs Lunch the other day, could also be a top pairing guy for us.

Now that's a free wallet.

From the first rumours of signing him I've always pegged him as the 2nd coming of Dmitri Mironov.

And nothing he's done since has changed that impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad