Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nikita Zaitsev to a 1 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
The GM of Zaitsev's KHL team was some guy named Sergei Federov. I think there's some connection to Shanahan but can't put my finger on it...

Joking aside Federov specifically identified Zaitsev as someone Shanahan would be interested in.

The current Leafs org has A LOT of clout in Russia. Shanahan was always a big supporter of Russian players in NA, and we got Lou Lam who was the architect that brought the first Russian import (defector) to North America.

T'aint no coincidence.

Lou lam had something to do with mogilny?
Thought that was buffalo not nj.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
How so - like Zaitsev will turn into an elite defender, or Rielly won't pan out as a true #1?

I think he means the former. Not saying I entirely disagree, but remember Zaitsev is almost 25. Has more pro experience and has the confidence/poise that Rielly is just discovering.

I am not for rating our own players against one another, happy to have both on our team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think people are remembering that one play when Zaitsev went below the montreal goal line and puck turned over and he simply couldn't catch up. But I think he was just caught flat footed on a long shift. I don't think this should be considered an indication that he's a less than average skater.

This all said, I'm sure, even though he's a perfectly good skater, he'll likely get some time in the Barb Underhill like so many of our players have done.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I dunno. I'm fairly confident that Rielly is a legit #1 damn for the next 10+ years. I'm nowhere near prepared to say anything like that about Zaitsev.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The hype was well warranted. He's an incredible skater. Such good offensive and defensive instincts. He's a mid pairing defender at worst on any team in the NHL.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I would ease back on the hype pedal a bit. That was basically an augmented AHL team the Leafs were playing last night. Anointing Zaitsev as number one D and better than Rielly is definitely a case of premature evaluation.

Still, Zaitsev's game only reinforces the notion that this is one very promising prospect. The thing I was most impressed by was his quickness with the puck, quick clearances, quick passes at the blue line and a very quick release on his shot, eg, the goal.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think he means the former. Not saying I entirely disagree, but remember Zaitsev is almost 25. Has more pro experience and has the confidence/poise that Rielly is just discovering.

I am not for rating our own players against one another, happy to have both on our team.

If Zaitsev were to be that - a real deal #1 RHD, then our D corps are pretty much complete and just need seasoning. If Zaitsev, Rielly and Gardiner are a solid top 3 then I think some combination of Marincin, Carrick, Dermott, Neilsen, Loov, Valiev, Greenway and Lindgren will fill out the bottom 3 in a more than passable manner

That being said, I think it may be too high of praise for Zaitsev before playing an NHL game and it doesn't seem like the scouting reports paint him as a potential superstar. Even if he was a #2/3 that would be a massive win and we would have 3 of our top 4 in place

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would ease back on the hype pedal a bit. That was basically an augmented AHL team the Leafs were playing last night. Anointing Zaitsev as number one D and better than Rielly is definitely a case of premature evaluation.

Still, Zaitsev's game only reinforces the notion that this is one very promising prospect. The thing I was most impressed by was his quickness with the puck, quick clearances, quick passes at the blue line and a very quick release on his shot, eg, the goal.

Agreed - no need for us to set ourselves up for disappointment if he *only* turns out to be a good second pairing guy

He's looked great, and appears to be a good bet to transition to the NHL without much trouble. I think he's also a good fit for the new NHL - speed, very smart, always where he should be. Even if he doesn't put up big offensive numbers, I think his advanced stats will look great

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I agree on the 'hype pedal' theory.

I noticed throughout the WCH and last nights game that Z has a great deal of composure with the puck. He plays smart and you can tell that he has been effectively developed.

The play where he turned over the puck behind the oppositions goal line was a bit lax. He was gassed too. But all these new NHLers will live and learn. Can't get better if you don't make mistakes... we will all have to remember that this season.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I think people are remembering that one play when Zaitsev went below the montreal goal line and puck turned over and he simply couldn't catch up. But I think he was just caught flat footed on a long shift. I don't think this should be considered an indication that he's a less than average skater.

This all said, I'm sure, even though he's a perfectly good skater, he'll likely get some time in the Barb Underhill like so many of our players have done.

Was that during the 3 on 3? I remember seeing him hang his head when he realised he'd have to hustle all the way back, it made me think even NHL-fit players hate a 200 ft constant 2 v 1 drill.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
His battling impressed me, he is really tough on opposing players in tight and makes them fight for every inch. Need to be strong on your skates for that.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Some work with Barb would really help IMO. There's something off in his stride. It's not as smooth and he's not as quick as you'd like to see from a power-play quarterback (a role he was put in last night). But then, the benchmark in that regard is Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner, who are among the top skaters in the league. It's a high bar to clear.

I don't foresee Zaitsev's skating holding him back. It's NHL-level. Compared to Polak or Marcinin or even Valiev (all of whom played on the same ice he did last night), he gets around the ice fine. His first couple steps appear to be good, which is important for defensemen. His positioning and instincts seem top-notch. I tend to agree with the optimists here. He had a strong game last night and when he settles into the NHL-game and Babcock's system, he should be a rock solid top 4 guy. Great find by management.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It feels nice that he chose the Leafs seemingly due to personal preference. I am so used to this team sucking forever that it comes as a surprise that an excellent player born and raised so far away would have a soft spot for the leafs. He gives a good interview, very serious and all business.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sold on him as a top pairing guy per say but he is showing the potential. At the very least it seems the Leafs have found another quality top 4 d-man that would play well with Gardiner on the second pairing.

Hopefully he gels with Mo on the top pairing and they become a legit top pairing tandem!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not sold on him as a top pairing guy per say but he is showing the potential. At the very least it seems the Leafs have found another quality top 4 d-man that would play well with Gardiner on the second pairing.

Hopefully he gels with Mo on the top pairing and they become a legit top pairing tandem!

If this were to happen, does it change your hopes for this season? Right now I hope the kids look good and that the big 3 all make seamless transitions to the NHL, but that we also come out of this year with a pick that could be Liljegren or Cal Foote....if Zaitsev turns out to be a top pairing guy we probably don't need one of those

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Please provide links to these metrics that do not exist.

Also zaitsev is a fine skater. What's this white noise around these parts about him being below average?

Trouba played on the top pairing for a little less than half the season last year and did amazing in the shot-supression department. His impact on everyone defensively using WOWYS was superb as well. Rielly's on the other hand wasn't (even with Marincin paired with him), but Rielly's offensive generation last season was superb.

You can go search their WOWYS respectively via corsica or stats.hockeyanalysis.
But here are some articles describing his underlying numbers (Hint: they all call him great defensively, something NO one has said about Rielly using advanced stats):
http://jetsnation.ca/2016/6/6/don-t...you-trouba-has-been-getting-better-and-better
http://jetsnation.ca/2016/8/17/jacob-trouba-august-2016
http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...fenseman-jacob-trouba-best-trade-destinations

And no idea, I think Zaistev's a fine skater. I think he'll fit perfectly beside Gardiner, hopefully we see some chemistry with them next game.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Zaitsev already carving out space in Maple Leafs’ core group

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/zaitsev-already-carving-space-maple-leafs-core-group/

TORONTO – The entirety of his NHL experience, to date, covers one pre-season game and a handful of practices.

And yet you already get the sense Nikita Zaitsev is much more than just another hopeful at Toronto Maple Leafs training camp.

The Russian defenceman is a little bit like found money because he arrived as a free agent from the KHL, but he’s quickly carved out a home here. He looked sharp in his exhibition debut against Montreal on Sunday night – drawing praise from coach Mike Babcock – and found himself skating alongside Morgan Rielly at practice on Monday afternoon.

Even though that duo is unlikely to remain intact come the regular season, it’s clear that Zaitsev is already viewed as a core member of this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->