Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign LW/C Patrick Marleau (3 years, $6.25 AAV, NMC) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No reason?

Maybe he wants one of those shiny Stanley Cup things that everyone is talking about.

Unless of course you don't think we will be a contender....?

"No reason" is a bit hyperbolic... but I don't think he'll want to hang around for $1m even if it's a shot at the Stanley cup. Especially not if he's having the amount of injury trouble you're anticipating.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No reason?

Maybe he wants one of those shiny Stanley Cup things that everyone is talking about.

Why would he stay around for 1M salary when he already has two cup rings?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No reason?

An NMC doesnt mean the Leafs are under any obligation to dress him.

If he suddenly wanted to try to stiff arm the Leafs in the unlikely scenario he's capable of playing in the NHL at 40 there are counter measures.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
An NMC does t mean the Leafs are under any obligation to dress him.

If he suddenly wanted to try to stuff arm the Leafs in the unlikely scenario he's capable of playing in the NHL at 40 there are counter measures

Because his third year is cheap, he will be a valuable asset to a team needing to fill cap space without wanting to shell out dollars. The Leafs can give him a few bucks to accept a trade and probably get a pick in return. Pretty sure this is their strategy if they are worried about the third year.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
An NMC doesnt mean the Leafs are under any obligation to dress him.

If he suddenly wanted to try to stiff arm the Leafs in the unlikely scenario he's capable of playing in the NHL at 40 there are counter measures.

Edit: typo

And if they don't dress him but he doesn't fake an injury... and have doctors collude... what happens to the cap hit?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And if they don't dress him but he doesn't fake an injury... and have doctors collude... what happens to the cap hit?

The team obviously becomes burdened with the caphit, and Marleau burns any bridges he had with the Leafs ie not being given a job in retirement like they just did with Robidas.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The team obviously becomes burdened with the caphit, and Marleau burns any bridges he had with the Leafs ie not being given a job in retirement like they just did with Robidas.

I don't think Mr Shark will be without an embassador type role in his retirement.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

He's not going to have to fake it according to you though. Nor will doctors have to collide. It's just Lupul all over again.

Besides, there's a very low possibility he'll want to play that last season for $1m.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
no different than Lupul being on the books for this upcoming season

it's 1 year

35+ contract is the difference as I understand it.

As usual people are worrying about something years down the road that likely never negatively effects us.

This board, at times, is full of more people worried about the cap then it is people excited to actually watch hockey....it's unbearable at times.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm really looking forward to where and how Marleau will fit in the sea deep of forward depth.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles will likely be rebuilding by year three of Marleau's contract. Marleau would probably be happy to go back to California for a final season. I think it would be pretty easy to pull off that trade. We will lose a first round pick I am sure but that won't matter at all by that point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles will likely be rebuilding by year three of Marleau's contract. Marleau would probably be happy to go back to California for a final season. I think it would be pretty easy to pull off that trade. We will lose a first round pick I am sure but that won't matter at all by that point.

How do they lose a first round pick?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In the trade. Like the Datsyuk contact trade, Detroit had to send their first round pick to Coyotes

For one year with very little money owed? I'd be very surprised if that were to happen

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This answer can only be confirmed in that 3rd year, but If I was a betting man I'd guess he's not playing that year.

A 6 million dollar(and change) cap hit with only $1 Million owed in real money would be easily moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad